NASA Photo of Bahamas Tidal Flats and Channels

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

NASA Photo of Bahamas Tidal Flats and Channels

Post by Duncan »

I guess this is sailing related, since we all sail the Bahamas or would like to or know someone who does.

But I was mostly struck by the patterns, since they could just as easily be veins or roots or river systems.

Or, maybe it's just that cabin fever sets in early up here.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: NASA Photo of Bahamas Tidal Flats and Channels

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I don't believe a word of it but some folks say that that sort of similarity is due to the fractals that govern all sorts of natural geometries.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Neat! Doesn't that make you just want to jump in and go for a swim/explore?
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tom Young »

Rachel wrote:Neat! Doesn't that make you just want to jump in and go for a swim/explore?
Yes it does. The magic of the Bahamas for me was the light colored water. I was drawn to sail in the shallows. The most memorable was sailing for miles across the white banks with a foot or two under the keel of our boat that drew 4'. You'd feel so alone there with no other visible boats. The only startling thing was the rare large, dark forms that would come out of nowhere, dodge at the boat, then veer at speeds under water that seemed impossible to my eyes.

We often wrestled our boat off sand banks back then. I wonder if I would be so fearless today?

Anyone know which set of islands that is in the photo? I took this photo of our boat in 89 from the top of Bu Bu Hill in the Exumas. Image
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Tom Young wrote:Anyone know which set of islands that is in the photo?
Sorry, I should have "documented" that - it's marked as Sandy Cay.

I started chartering in the Abacos almost thirty years ago ('twas different then!), and came back to the Exumas, and also to Eleuthra.

Lots of running aground in the Abacos!

Here's a photo of the day's catch down at Staniel Cay, with some of those beautiful water colours visible in the background (beyond the bloody pile of fish).

Cape Dory 10 & 27
Sailor Simon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: AURORA
Boat Type: Swiftsure 33

Post by Sailor Simon »

Hi Duncan, amazing photo's. I've always stated I wouldn't go south, until several guys in the marina insisted I had the perfect boat for this type of sailing. A 33'centreboard sloop! Any more of those pics and I'll leave sooner than I ever expected I would. Hmmm, let's se...Georgian Bay in the summer, a season or to in the Bahamas, back to Georgian Bay... Sign me up. Now Duncan, about that windlass...? Sailor Simon