Officially: I will never learn

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Officially: I will never learn

Post by Figment »

I see a lot of potential here.

Ohlson 38

Clearly I'm a danger to myself and to others.
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Officially: I will never learn

Post by Chris Campbell »

I've always liked the Ohlson 38 as well - especially the non-reverse transom model (is that called a counter? why can't I remember?). Lots of things to wonder about in that listing, though - for example why does the boat that is sailing (seemingly from an earlier, happier time) have lifelines, but the boat that is at the dock does not? Those windows don't look like what I'm used to seeing on Ohlson 38's, either, but there's no way to know what different builders at different times did, of course.

No matter what, being tempted by boats is part of the joy of life, isn't it?
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

We had a $1,000 weekend in Keemah in 2004. We went to look at an Alden Challenger, instantly decided against that boat and I went with her broker to see a bunch of other 'inexpensive' boats. A good many of 'em of course were older. Most of 'em were sun-damaged to the extent that the fiberglass decks would crunch underfoot, they were so soft.

A boat which has been in service 12 months/year is likely to be in tougher shape than a northern boat.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

Ha!

I took my 1968 Pearson Wanderer out for the last sail of the year just this past Sunday. On the way on and off the dock, I noticed (once again) a nice little sailboat that looks very forlorn and unloved. She's about 18 feet, maybe 19, fiberglass, looks to be mid 1960s and has really lovely lines. She has a small cuddy cabin. I keep eyeballing her, thinking she would make a really sweet camp cruiser. Right now, though, she's all peeling paint and sun-dried wood. But the sheer line and bow rake are just so sweet.

I sent an e-mail to the marina owner asking if she was abandoned, and much to my surpise he said nope. The owners have had her there a couple years. I really just will never understand the people who pay a marina to keep a boat just floating in a slip while it gets all sun-baked and accumulates hull growth. It's a shame, she really could be quite a sweet little day sailer or camp cruiser.

If I keep looking at her and thinking about her, next thing I know I'll be asking the marina owner to contact the boat's owner for me. Then my wife will hit me over the head with a cast iron skillet.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence