Dog overboard, help needed.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Dog overboard, help needed.

Post by s/v Faith »

I know this is slightly outside the realm, but as every Sailor who cruises with pet's worst nightmare I would like to pass this along.

As read elsewhere.... :'(

Desperate for Help - Albemarle Sound !
Dear Friends-

We lost our dog overboard in the Albermarle Sound on Sunday, Nov 14 ? if you have heard anything about a dog (or its body) being recovered, we would very much like to hear from you. We live aboard a boat, so we only have email and cell phone for communication. Bucky was a yellow lab mix, n/male, 75 lbs., 9 yrs. old, wearing a yellow life jacket. I will try to attach a copy of the flyer we are passing out.

Thank you so much,

Gratefully yours,

Jane Hanson
crabbyjane :at: hotmail :dot: com
608-772-4642
608-698-7063
Update as to the possible location....
We left Elizabeth City around 9:30 am, traveling about 8 knots per hour - he was on the bow for 3 or 4 hours - after that I showered and made lunch for about 1/2 hour, came up, ate my sandwich, tossed crusts down to him and he wasn't there. After a search below decks, we turned around and tried to retrace our route - searched about 2 hours, only found crab pots.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Dog overboard, help needed.

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Despite Sperry Topsider's oft-told myth, dogs really don't stick to decks very well. Topsiders, neither, for that matter. Though truth be told, I've worn nothing else (shoes, silly!) for 15 years, but Topsiders on land or sea.

We have a harness and 'life jacket' for our 50lb American Black and Tan Coon Hound, Kochi. She hates the life jacket. When her world gets tippy or bouncy, Kochi insists on standing on the helmsman's feet and inevitably puts her head through the spokes of the wheel. This being unsuitable, we moor her to one of the handholds at the companionway. With luck, she'll curl up on the lee side of the cockpit.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I have seen quite a few dogs on boats. Some seem to really like it and adapt well to dealing with the adversity it brings. Others seem totally put out, uncomfortable and a danger to themselves. It is the owners who are responsible for noticing which their dog is and acting accordingly. Your dog wants to be with you, but it is not always a good idea.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

We'd hoped Kochi's namesake Kochi would have sent good vibes. The 'original' Kochi was Miles and Beryl Smeeton's dog on Tzu Hang, back in the '50s.

Kochi's sole interests in the world are varmints and food, in that order. All else is details. Unfortunately, she does not tolerate firearms so her career as a hunting Coon Hound was curtailed (O'Brien's pun intended, of course). She tolerates the boat despite the lack of varmints, since there's food. She's an enthusiastic dinghy rider, proudly cantilevered over the bow, particularly when shoreward bound.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

My first exposure to dogs on board a cruising sailboat were a pair of Portuguese water dogs that left me thoroughly impressed with their common sense and ease in the water. More recent experiences with a border collie convinced me that certain breeds probably do better in a sailboat. The collie had the common sense to seek out dark cubbyholes to bed down in and wouldn't stay alone on deck.

I had the misfortune of watching the movie Dead Calm this weekend and it certainly reinforced the notion that one must know the behavior of one's dog and be ever aware of where it might be.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

Sorry to pass along;
Bucky’s remains were found today at RoanaokeIsland by a kind fisheries ranger. He tried calling us several times and we finally had to drive halfway to town to get reception and speak to him.
We would like to thank everyone for kind expressions of sympathy and creative and helpful suggestions to find him. Thank you friends, one and all – you have been wonderful.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Very sad news. I'm glad they were able to recover their pet.