Pearson Triton 27 1983's aka US 27's made by Bayliner?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
timsterspuffin
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Puffin II
Boat Type: United Sailing Yacht 27

Pearson Triton 27 1983's aka US 27's made by Bayliner?

Post by timsterspuffin »

Hello!
Just a quick question. The boat I'm restoring is the last year of the USY 27 series by Bayliner. The hull of my 27 is reputed to be a boat made for Pearson as late as 1983, exactly as produced by Bayliner for Pearson. The brochures and general scuttlebut about this boat are it was madse with little/no mod's as the Triton 27.Ifd this is true I need all the help anyone can give me! The US 27 I have is a 1981 model. It had a pathetic 7.5 HP Volvo/Penta saildrive. Missing foresails, rotten cabin sole and what looks to be a sunken mast compression post under sole support. It's a fixer-upper alright. If the hull data for this exists (drawings,specs photos, anything), I'd be sharing what little I have recieved from Bayliner.........rigging data and test runs.Oh, you can see the factory brochures on the web if you are curious.

Thanks for any/all info!
I've only just begun...........yipes!

Timster
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Pearson Triton 27 1983's aka US 27's made by Bayliner?

Post by Tim »

Pearson made the marketing mistake of calling that 1980s-vintage re-badged US Yachts line the "Triton" line. There was a 21, a 25, and a 27. I don't think the line was much of a success for Pearson and was short-lived.

These "Triton" boats have nothing in common with the original Pearson Triton, of course.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

I think I recall seeing one of these for sale on yachtworld years ago. IIRC, they look nothing like Carl's Triton.

Do you have a photograph?
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
SUNBIRD10201
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by SUNBIRD10201 »

When BAYLINER decided (for whatever reason?) to exit the sailboat business PEARSON bought some of the molds and tooling and (as Tim so correctly points out) decided to name this new line of inexpensive(?) entry-level models as "TRITON" ,sort-of a "low-cost" division of Pearson. They had an 18, 21, 25, and 27. After about a year or so of so-so sales under the TRITON name the line was renamed as "PEARSONs" and they became the P18, P21, P25 and P27, this (old Bayliner) 27 was the first to be dropped I think when Pearson introduced their PEARSON 27 a wing-keel, outboard rudder model that seems to have been designed to go head to head with the O'DAY 272 also introduced around the same time (1986 model year).

These low-cost Pearsons were built better than the US Yachts versions, but not as well as the earlier (before 1980's) Pearsons. The PEARSONs built during the 1980's stil lwere well built, but they do show the efforts of the company to begin to cut costs.

Also, when the old US Yachts designs were renamed as "PEARSON" they were joined by the old PEARSON 23 (mid-to late 1970s model) in my opinion the best of these "new" Pearsons, at least in design. I was fortunate to have a chance to attend a big open-house at Pearson in April 1985 and really enjoyed seeing the production lines!
Sunbird
1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II
former owner of 1970 CAL 21