Looking for Sea Sprite 27/28 or similar boat

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Looking for Sea Sprite 27/28 or similar boat

Post by Brodie »

You may have noticed the ad for the Marlin in the classified section....it's upgrade time!

I am looking for a boat in the 27-30 foot range. Primary target would be a Sea Sprite 27/28 but I am open to other ideas. I'm looking for a boat that I can do some short cruises in, but the boat will still primarily be used for daysailing (I sail 40-50 days a year) and I single hand about 85-90% of the time. Looking to keep displacement under ~8000 or so for that reason, but it needs to be enough of a "step up" from the marlin to make it worthwhile. I like heavier boats, although full keel is not a necessity. I will freely admit I am picky about aesthetics (read: boat snob) - while there are a lot of nice Alberg designed boats out there that would fit my needs well, they just don't do it for me aesthetically. But I'll try and keep an open mind :-)

If anyone knows of a Sea Sprite for sale, or has any other suggestions for boats, please let me know! I'm located in RI so would prefer reasonably local boats but that's not a hard and fast rule.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Looking for Sea Sprite 27/28 or similar boat

Post by Case »

Good luck in your search!

By the way - try the Cape Dory 27, especially those with nice cove stripes and eyebrows on the cabin. Many don't thus look a bit more plain than expected. Keep that in mind when looking at CD27s. The Tartan 27 is another option. Same for early Bristol 27s (later ones have taller cabins). That's about it for boats that would suit your aesthetics.

Tartan 30s are another good option but it is bigger. With proper equipment, they are no harder to sail than say, a Sea Sprite 27/28. Take a look at 30 footers, there are lots of good designs out there. I didn't suggest them first because of aesthetics.

- Case
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Brodie wrote:. I will freely admit I am picky about aesthetics (read: boat snob) - while there are a lot of nice Alberg designed boats out there that would fit my needs well, they just don't do it for me aesthetically..
If you don't find Alberg designs aesthetically pleasing, what do you find to be so? I'm confused.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm going to take a guess and say that she would prefer a bit more "spring" to the sheerline aft; to my eye at least, many of Alberg's designs tend to run a bit flatter in the sheer there, than some others' of the same type/era.

(Okay, now let's see how I did here.)

Rachel
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Rachel you nailed it on the head...something about the sheerline on most Alberg boats just doesn't quite do it for me. Not always, the 23' sea sprite being an exception, but since i have training as a yacht designer I can't quite get away from wanting to "tweak" the sheerline on those boats every time I see one...

This next boat is also one I plan to have for quite a while, so I would like to find a boat that meets as many of my criteria as possible. So far the Sea Sprite comes the closest (besides doing a custom boat, which I would love to do, but way too much $$$!). I thought I'd just throw out there that I was looking, because you never know who might know of a boat for sale somewhere.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

So there is a Sea Sprite 30 for sale in MD....it's been on the market for a while, with a drop in price. Not sure if I'm thinking this because it's the only option right now, but what are people's thoughts on the difference in ease of singlehanding a 7600 lb, 28' boat vs a 10000 lb, 30' boat? (please keep in mind that I am female and 120 lbs....) I don't want to get a boat that is too much, but on the other hand, this is a boat I plan to have for a long time, so I also don't want something that I'll outgrow in 5 years.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

In my humble opinion, go for the 30. I am a HUGE Sea Sprite fan. I went from a SS 23 to a Luders 33. As you know Luders designed the Sea Sprite 28, 30 and 34 and the Luders 33, at the time, was significantly cheaper than a Sea Sprite 34 and probably even a 30. We almost always two hand and going from a 23 to a 33 was a huge change but I have never looked back. I honestly think that the SS 28 is a great boat that is almost there. If you were to take the extra step to the 30 you are much more likely to be looking at the final boat. By all means, look at both but when you are done, the 30 is a more sea kindly boat that has enough room to almost be a live aboard boat which is what you want/need for a 2 week + cruise. When you are below on a 28 look around and ask; Would I want to spend 2 rainy week aboard this boat? Then do the same thing on a 30 before you make a decision. Don't worry about the boat handling, the difference is big at first but the adjustment is easier than you think,

Don't hesitate to drop me a PM.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate the input! I guess my worry is that this boat will be used a lot for daysailing. The last several years I've averaged 40-50 sails a summer on a Doughdish and the Marlin. So I know I'll do that - I'd like to start cruising but right now I don't know exactly how much cruising I will end up doing. So I don't want to compromise the daysailing ability that I know I need right now for cruising ability that I might need down the road. On the other hand, I'm not talking a 50 foot boat here, and the extra room would most likely never be a bad thing...

I sent an email to the broker about the SS30....we'll see what they say, but maybe a road trip to Annapolis is in order...
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

I love Annapolis. Wish I could join you.

Good Luck.
Cheers

Dennis

Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Brodie wrote:So there is a Sea Sprite 30 for sale in MD....it's been on the market for a while, with a drop in price. Not sure if I'm thinking this because it's the only option right now, but what are people's thoughts on the difference in ease of singlehanding a 7600 lb, 28' boat vs a 10000 lb, 30' boat? (please keep in mind that I am female and 120 lbs....) I don't want to get a boat that is too much, but on the other hand, this is a boat I plan to have for a long time, so I also don't want something that I'll outgrow in 5 years.
What a pretty boat (and sensible, too).

I doubt the boat would be "too much", given how much you sail. I sail my Cape Dory 27, which is similar to the SS28, almost like it was a dinghy. Probably just like you sail your Marlin. Up goes the main, out rolls the jib, and I hardly ever use the engine or the winches. The 30 would be a bit steadier, so in that sense, it might even be easier.

In terms of "a long time", "outgrow in 5 years", boy, I like those SS 34's advertised on Yachtworld. Unless those boats have significant deferred maintenance issues, they seem to represent very good value.

So, I think the 28 would be a snap for you, the 30 would be almost as easy, and the 34 would be a wonderful boat that has everything. I would pick the boat that seemed the best-maintained, since you do want to sail, and not embark on years and years of projects.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Before you plunge into a significantly larger boat, remember that maintenance and outfitting costs go up in a manner proportional (or worse) to the displacement (i.e.volume) of the boat, not the length. I'm sure you're prepared for this increase in cost and complexity on some level, but the exponential increase in boat maintenance/outfitting costs with seemingly marginally larger boats catches a lot of people by surprise.

If you mostly daysail, stick with a boat more in tune with that need. The smaller boats in any marina or anchorage always seem to go sailing a lot more than the larger ones. Larger boats are great in many ways, but can be costly and just enough more of a challenge that they stay on the mooring or dock more often than might a smaller, simpler boat.

Good luck in your search!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

THanks Tim,
I am aware of how quickly the costs go up....displacement is really king, even if the marinas don't seem to think so. I do keep the boat on a mooring exclusively, which makes singlehanding easier. I've spent quite a bit of time on two larger boats, an Island Packet 32 and a Freedom 38, and can definitely tell the difference between the two boats in terms of displacement, despite the radical rig differences - the IP feels much more manageable than the Freedom with that huge main. So I know I don't want to go as big as either of those two boats - just more than I need, although I will admit too that the SS34 is a gorgeous boat!

I really appreciate everyone's input...keep it coming!
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

Brodie,

Tim, as always, hit the nail on the head. I was very surprised at how much more work it takes to keep the 33 footer going over the 23 footer. Also cost. A gallon of bottom paint instead of a quart; 28HP diesel with a hard mounted 30 gallon tank rather than a 6 hp outboard with a 6 gallon portable tank. The list goes on but again, I have not looked back.

I really don't think we sailed the Sea Sprite more often but we certainly had her under sail quicker.

The more you know, the better position you are to make a decision.
Cheers

Dennis

KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

Brodie: I agree with Hirilonde I,am confused? An Alberg design is very worthy of your consideration.

My larger boat has become difficult to singlehand so I also have an Alberg designed Kittiwake 23. She is full keel, weights 3700 lbs is bullet proof and is sitting in my driveway on a trailer. When I finish her rehab I will sail her singlehanded about 6 months a year. She will be great for daysailing or "getting away" for a few days as needed.

There is one for sale on craiglist right now. TOM
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by hebert01 »

Luring you away from Tim's wise advice to never buy more boat than you need, I believe this is an SS34 listing that just appeared on Yachtworld, at a price that has me wondering what's wrong with the boat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 18984&url=

Like you, I really love the Sea Sprites. My wife and I were just about to buy an SS28 two years ago, when we found out she was expecting. That shifted our priorities a bit. Just when I figure that maybe it's safe to start looking at boats again, we find out she's now expecting twins! To to paraphrase Chief Brody..."I'm going to need a bigger boat". And I'm going to need some time to sail on it!

Good luck with your search. Between their nice sheer line and fractional rig, I agree there's a lot to like about that design.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

The Sea Sprite 28, 30, 34 forum has a thread on this boat.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/282810/m ... 2424K+SS34

But, again... what we all end up realizing is that the boat is the cheap part of boat ownership. So that couple of thousand dollars spent or saved usually will end up not mattering in the long run.
Cheers

Dennis

Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

So I am heading to Annapolis on Monday to look at the 30' Sea Sprite. It's too good of a deal to not at least go and take a look at it. I think the boat is still in the water so hopefully I'll be able to at least see how the engine runs.

While I've been on plenty of boats this size this will be the first time I've inspected one as a potential purchase....so give me some advice on things to look for!

I'm camera-less at the moment (bad timing!) but if I can beg/borrow/steal one for the trip I'll post pics, of course.
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Post by bhartley »

Brodie,

Go buy several disposable cameras. Some will even do digital prints. There is absolutely no way to look at a boat that you can't pop back to look at if you don't have pictures. Besides we here like to see them....

If you decide to buy the boat, you will want something to dream over before transport. And if you opt out, you will want something to compare with on the next boat you look at -- or a little reminder of why you made the right decision in passing it over.

Pictures!!!!!

Happy looking.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I agree! A disposalbe or maybe a cheapie or a used one from Craigslist or eBay or something. Unless the boat is totally hideous, you will probably want photos to drool over. And if it is totally hideous, we want to see! ;) (And also if it's nice of course.)

Happy shopping!

Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

You can buy an inexpensive digital camera for just about what it'll cost to buy and develop a disposable, and then you'll still have the camera for later uses.

OK, maybe a little more, but the point is there are lots of perfectly decent digitals available for insignificant cost (well under $100) I think any digital will be better and more convenient than one of those disposable things (they really still make those?) There's really no excuse for not having one.

I can't imagine looking at a boat without taking 237 pictures to peruse (and share, ahem) later, not to mention the benefit of sticking that camera into some deep, dark place on the boat where you can't otherwise see. This is where you really learn about the boat, not by looking at the surface.

Good luck, in any case. (But get a camera!)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

This advice to buy a camera is particularly true if you're looking at a bunch of boats. And a small digital is a good choice. I don't think your cell phone would be good enough resolution.

We looked at about 40 boats before settling on Quetzal.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Quetzalsailor wrote:We looked at about 40 boats before settling on Quetzal.
40! I think you and Rachel might be in competition.

I've only ever bought the first (and only) boat of whatever type I've been looking for at the time, I suppose because I always buy ridiculous abused junk that needs 2000 hours' labor thereafter... :<)
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

Uh, Tim, you don't actually buy boats. You buy the promise of boats.
Al Lorman
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

You know, I was actually thinking that a disposable or cheapie camera *would* be digital these days. Just so that you know I wasn't recommending a disposable film camera. That sounds like the worst of both worlds.

Of course I put off buying a camera for about 8 years, after I lost a beloved film camera in Maine in the early 90s, so it's not like I can't relate. (In case anyone found it, it was an Olympus XA and I lost it by that place with a giant crab or lobster on the roof.)

Although it is not super tiny shirt-pocket sized, my latest camera has one of the flippy/rotating screens and I have to say that I really love that feature, especially for boat stuff. You can wangle the camera way down under and around engines, into nooks and crannies, under the cockpit, and etc. -- yet still see what you are photographing. Also works for candid people photos because people think you are just fiddling with the camera or something. Mine is a Canon A630.

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Tim,

You've seen me.

Imagine how tough it is to find a production sailboat with over 6'3 headroom in the cabin, a forepeak I can actually get in - let alone sleep, decent ventilation below, decent views out, light and airy below, a head large enough for me, really nice fit and finish, great woodwork, lots of toys, great sailing characteristics (PHRF under 150), good looks (for the boat lust when all else is going wrong), at least 38' (for the bragging rights), aft cockpit (so that I can see it all). Oh, yes, and affordable.

D