Around the World

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Around the World

Post by Skipper599 »

Was watching a CBC TV news report of the young 16yo girl Jessica of Australia who singlehandedly, sailed around the world ... what a tremendous accomplishment for anyone ... never mind one so young. ... Don't know if even I would want to attempt that.

Earlier in the day ... like 7am ... I also heard a replay of an Australian news report of this young woman's return to Sydney harbour except, they also commented how the Premier Yacht Club Executive have decided NOT to recognize her performance because, ... Get this ... ... ... she is too young!

What absolute arrogance ... SHE DID IT! ... therefore, I believe she is entitled to recognition ... what say you?
I think the reason is more likely because she basically proved she could do it after all the efforts to prevent her from starting out in the beginning. Also, that it doesn't take money and a whole prestigious committee to accomplish such a feat, but simply sheer guts and determination. ... Good on you Jessica and congratulations. Next time you're sailing past their grandious clubhouse, look straight at them and "flip the bird" in their general direction ... although I suspect you have more class than that.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Around the World

Post by One Way David »

I don't know, I have mixed feelings. When I first read Dove, I wondered how a father could let his son take off like that. By the time I finished the book I think I knew. I read a few other young single handed experiences and still wonder what I would have done if my child headed in that direction.

I think I heard the reason I heard expressed was similar to publicity for atrocious acts. If you don't give them recognition, they won't seek attention. I doubt the philosophy works.

Then, what happens when tragedy strikes? A 16, 14, 13 year old is lost to some disaster or violent act? It's not a new problem, when does responsibility for protection yield to development of an individuals character? How young is too young? Certainly the young of this country and of today are sheltered (as a rule) when compared to others.

Agreed, she did the voyage and nobody can take that away from her. But are our accomplishments dependant on public recognition for validation?

Dave. Just a lake day sailor wanna be.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

One Way David wrote:Agreed, she did the voyage and nobody can take that away from her. But are our accomplishments dependant on public recognition for validation?
No, and I think that's what sets Jessica's trip apart from other similar trips of late. Yes, she received media coverage and sponsorships, but she never struck me as especially beholden to (or smitten with) the attention. I followed her blog fairly regularly, and she always seemed level-headed and in it for the moment and experience, regardless of what the masses were saying. Unfortunately, I don't think the same is true of her American counterpart, Abby Sunderland, who, by comparison, seems far less invested in the spirit of the adventure and more interested in simply "getting there." I think the two philosophies are evident in their choice of boat: Jessica, a S&S 34; Abby, an Open 40.

Anyway, just my ramblings.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

If being alone at sea is something one enjoys, than there is no need to seek glory for it. The sea is like a mountain. Some people just have to go there. But if they think they are conquering anything, then they are fools.

I don't think any of the youngsters who have made the solo circumnavigaions as of late do it for a love of the sea. They do it as a publicity stunt. They are hoping that the event will earn them enough notoriety that they can make money doing endorsements. I agree with One Way David, their accomplishments are dependent on recognition. Not just that, they are motivated by it.

I am not impressed in the slightest. Maybe a little jealous that I have not had the opportunity, but certainly not impressed.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

I loosely followed her blog also and I don't think she would care one way or the other about being recognized by the Premier Yacht Club.
Along with her age they also said she didn't go far enougth North to say she circumnavigated. I would say just rounding all the Capes would be enought. I also believe most youngsters harmones are running wide slam open and they quench their thirst using these stunts. I bet the Coast Guards of the various Countries were holding their breath as she passed. What confuses me is, whose boat is/was it? How many sponsors did she have and did they( sponsors) ever think about her just sailing off and never being seen again? Crazy.
The circumnavigation that I did enjoy was the fellow about my age on a Cape Dory named FENIX. I have been around the world with him about three times. I think he just had a idea, readied himself and the boat and took off. TOM
David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Hirilondë wrote:I am not impressed in the slightest. Maybe a little jealous that I have not had the opportunity, but certainly not impressed.
A while back I saw a program on Discovery (or one of those channels) that documented an amputee's attempt to summit Everest. The poor guy had so much pain and so many physical complications that he was all but carried up and down the mountain, his life entirely dependent on his support team of professional climbers and doctors. While I was impressed with his tenacity and appreciated his desire to try something like that, I wasn't impressed with his dependency. He could not (and he did not) accomplish his feat on his own without significant physical support. I didn't see a lot to be impressed with in a guy who hired a team to get him to the summit.

I respect Hirilonde's opinion, but I am impressed with Jessica's accomplishment, especially since, at the tender age of 16, she did it on her own. Yes, she had verbal support for troubleshooting mechanical issues or anticipating weather and she received financial support, but no one was on the boat with her: no one kept her awake, no one trimmed her sails or plotted her course, no one cooked her meals, no one took a trick at the tiller to spell her, and no one assumed responsibility for the care and survival of her vessel. I'm impressed with anyone who undertakes (and completes) such a trip. It's not especially my cup-a-tea - I'd much rather stop and see the sights along the way and avoid all the media crap - but I'm impressed that she accomplished what she set out to do. What I am not impressed with was the dependency on the media and sponsors or all of the hoopla, but I suppose even Shackleton had sponsors, a hired media consultant (Frank Hurley, his photographer), and a little hoopla - and for what? a failed attempt at crossing Antarctica.

Again, just the ramblings of yet another person with yet another opinion.