Marine systems training

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Marine systems training

Post by cantstopnow »

I am considering taking the course in Marine Systems at The Landing School in Arundel. My goal is to get training then employment for 3 years to gain more experience before the wife and I do some cruising. I like this type of work and it seems that I would be able to pick up jobs as we travel. At $18,000 per year for the course I would like to get some forum feedback on the school or others that might be recommended. I am interested to hear how others have become successful getting into this field. Or "why would you want to do that?" might be appropriate.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Marine systems training

Post by Hirilondë »

I am not familiar with the course. I would think it would be refridgeration, air conditioning, water makers (yes I know they don't actually make water), auxiliary charging, etc?

There is always going to be more and ever evolving systems on boats. So there will be jobs for some in the high end marine support facilities. The big question in today's economy is how many is some?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The Landing School is well-respected industry-wide.

I can't really touch on the other parts of the question, except to more or less second Dave's general sentiments. There is surplus of underemployed, skilled workers out there at the moment, which I imagine might make breaking into the field harder now than anytime since the early 90s (the "luxury tax" days), but that shouldn't stop a motivated individual who is willing to accept that it may not be easy finding work despite solid training.

Training is fine, but there's bound to be lots of competition for few slots in what is currently a static or shrinking industry. Niche market segments are likely to be the most sound now and going forward.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Post by cantstopnow »

Thank You for the responses. And also to Rachael for the PM. It is helpful. The work appeals to me and I am going to pursue it.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Even the wealthiest of boat owners today are being cautious of spending money. This is really a shame because spending is what our economy needs. Many are doing just the minimum of what is necessary to keep their boats afloat. Carpentry upgrades and system upgrades are probably the slowest they have been in 20 years. Basic engine maintenance and such are still being done by most. Although there are some who are not even taking care of their boats very well, never mind considering spending on upgrades.

If trying to make a career move is important, then maybe you should do it any way. I started my first contracting business in a recession and it worked out well. Now that I am in the prime of my skills, things are not what I would like them to be. Good luck to you.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.