America's Cup 33rd and final?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

America's Cup 33rd and final?

Post by LazyGuy »

How ridiculous. Ellison wins the LV cup without ever stepping on a boat. I am not sure of how many it was but the lowest number I heard was 17 for the number of challengers. All disqualified through a law suite by Ellison. Then he wins (fair and square) two in a row of the two out of three series to capture the AC. All that money spent and done in two races.

Historically I have seen how much money is spent and wonder if it is worth it. This time around I am not wondering. Who is going to sponsor a billion dollar syndicate for two races that were not even on US television?

Thanks Larry.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: America's Cup 33rd and final?

Post by Tim »

Some people's egos know no bounds.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Yeah, it may have been expensive, but just think of all the fun they will have with the boats now. And what about how this evolution has improved the sport of team sailboat racing?

I wonder what design will come out of the next series of court room battles?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I'm about as rabid a sailor as is appropriate, but I tuned the America's cup out when they switched away from the 12 meter boats.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Quetzalsailor wrote:I'm about as rabid a sailor as is appropriate, but I tuned the America's cup out when they switched away from the 12 meter boats.

... Like you Quetzal, I too lost interest after the 12m's ... these days it is all about who can afford the slickest, fastest talking Lawyer and has little to do with actual sailing in my opinion. Also the fact they have ventured into racing multi-hulls vs mono-hulls ... simply no contest.

... Besides which, it is a multi-millionaires game which is way and above anything I can visualise as being close to what my pocket book can afford. Heck, I can barely afford what I do have ... but I'm not sure for how much longer. The cost of anything related to sailing has increased so much over recent times, it appears to me that sailing is fast reverting to a sport for very rich folk only.

... Unfortunately, I live close to Vancouver BC, one of the most expensive cities in all of North America where average house prices are approaching half a million bucks ... and I'm not talking big new houses either.

... Likewise, the cost of moorage is increasing too. I just noticed on Craigslist a sublet for a 26ft slip for 6mths only at $1350 ... and this is in a backwater of a little river that is badly silted up where keelboats regularly go aground at anything but high tide. Also, they have a swing bridge to contend with that one must often wait for extended periods of time. I would hate to guess what it costs to moor a boat in the big city itself.

... Which raises the question: ... What are you paying for moorage where you live?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.