Woe is Weather in the Mid-Atlantic!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Woe is Weather in the Mid-Atlantic!

Post by Quetzalsailor »

C'mon! We Mid-Atlantic bureau of the CP Forum are all gonna' be cooped up in our houses for a day. Philadelphia's gonna' be closed for the 12-18", even if we get only 11". Y'all gott'a contribute some problem, wishlist, grump, whatever, to be thoroughly chewed over! I'm sure that I'm not the only addict.

Or else, Igor's gonna' go down into the basement and saw something. And glue something. The project this last month or so is to build a replacement Jib Door. Sometimes 'Gib Door' or Gib Window. Boating by another name, or, not.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Woe is Weather in the Mid-Atlantic!

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Ice here in Richmond. Sleet now.

I'll take 11 inches of snow over ANY ice.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Send the snow to us in Maine, please. It's pathetic here: we've seen not a flake from these big storms.

Did I mention it's pathetic here?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

It's pretty sad here in New Hampshire as well. Haven't had any snow in weeks.

Send the snow up here where we can put it to good use.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

RI is supposed to be 36 degrees with slush most of the time. We have had more snow already than the average entire winter. The ice fisherman haven't missed more than a few days in the past month or more. And now we are in another storm Well, it is snowing, and I hear we are getting a lot. I am not the fan of winter I used to be.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

High Noon. 6" of wet stuff before 8 this morning. Another 1"+ of sleet, snow and rain, since. Starting to blow. Still predicting another 12" before ending. I was hoping for a dry snow and that lots of wind would get it off our barn roof. I've been fretting about the wooden Flying Dutchman I've been restoring, the other two FD, and other toys. Considering whether moving the fragile, deckless FD out of the barn would be possible or riskier than betting on the 150 year old roof.
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

Don't mind the snow, noticed you,al up north didn,t want the winds with the snow. I wish you good luck always but the winds are brutal in Southeast Virginia and I feel like you should have both. Spent all day without power because of high winds, not good!

On the other hand wind is good,---- in July-August on the Chesapeake.

TOM from VA.
Ric in Richmond

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=42568

The pic at the link is 8gb!!!

All bare ground from NYC north!!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Nearly 9:00 PM. I still own a barn and contents. Over 16" on the roof. I've never seen the evergreens so bent down. The Yews stand about 15' tall dry; they're bent down to less than 5-6'. A Giant Arborvitae is about 25' tall and normally about 10' in dia; it's not bent down, but the branches have bent down so that the dia is about 5'. It's so sticky that an annulus of snow that had built up on a bit of 3/16" stainless wire rigged for a birdfeeder had rotated around the wire instead falling. A 2" x 2" wood handrail has a 6" tall coating of snow, not remarkable except that it has built up leaning into the wind; essentially a trapezoid in section and leaning into the wind by about 2". Occasional gusts to 20ish; not enough to clear the roofs.

Meanwhile, the epoxy's curing on parts of the Gib door.
Ric in Richmond

The farm where my wife keeps her horse isn't stabling any of the horse since they are afraid of barn collapses!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

Got you beat with the winds Quetzalsailor. We have had 25 gusting to 40 most of the day here in Hampton Roads. Not much snow but the 3-6 or so inches was enought to cause a big accident on I-64 west near Williamsburg. Nearly a whiteout for about 30 minutes and that was only the backside of the storm. Must be real cozy in your barn to be using epoxy. I would love to have a large barn or garage to keep working but I don't. When I looked out at the boat I thought it had wings with the tarp flapping the way it was. No way was I going to get inside the boat today. No power, no way! TOM
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Stars were out at 4:00 AM. The drive was cleared by 7:00 AM. The barn stands. Dodged that bullet! Expect that today's balmy 34 and sun will lighten the load.

I don't work in the barn from about mid-October until after Quetzal is in commission in the spring. The epoxy cures all right in the basement.
Case

Post by Case »

Uhh... warmer weather can make the snow heavier. Shovel it off if you're worried.. I had slight roof problems after a big snowstorm once. It held up fine until it got real warm and the snow turned into slush. It ended up HEAVIER.

Sorry to tell you this but you're not out of the danger zone yet.

- Case
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

True, if water from an upper roof is soaking snow on a lower, or a flat roof. Otherwise, every drop that makes it off the roof is less weight. In my case, the south-facing upper, steeper roof has already lost 6", about half its thickness, and it is draining. The lower roof, also south facing and pitched, may be - probably is - draining, but the water would land in the gutter and be carried off (until the gutter forms an ice dam tonight). The lower roof has lost about 2" of the 14". The north facing section is unchanged in appearance. Snow loss due to sublimation is entirely welcome, too!

Three more days of sunny and above freezing before the next snow on Monday.

A problem with all the reporting we hear on the media, and that you're reading above, is that snow depth isn't the issue; the pounds of stuff per square foot is. I'd rather hear that '12" of snow fell, or is expected, and will be the equivalent of 2" of rain or whatever'; then one could worry or not. I think, as dense as the first half of the storm's snow was around here, followed by freezing rain, and then by 8" of somewhat drier snow, that we could as easily have had 30" of snow rather than the 16" that made it into the record books.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

... Don't understand why anyone would complain about the weather ... the forecast for Vancouver BC says it is going to be clear and sunny for at least the next four days with afternoon temps of 10 - 12 at the airport and 15c inland (where I live) ... I believe 15c is about 60 on the fahrenheit scale ... but then it's springtime here ... many flowers in bloom as well as cherry blossom trees. Mind you, it's playing hell with the Olympic Games programs ... should have had them last year when we had about four feet of snow at this time where I live and much, much more on the local mountains where they're holding the Snowboard Games ... and no, this is not "Global Warming" neither is it unusual for this part of Canada. We've had a number of winters with no snow what-so-ever over the 37 years I have resided in this part of the world. Conversely, we've had winters when the snow never seemed to quit falling. We simply accept whatever comes from the skies and quietly get on with our lives.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
galleywench
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

Skipper599 wrote:... Don't understand why anyone would complain about the weather ... the forecast for Vancouver BC says it is going to be clear and sunny for at least the next four days with afternoon temps of 10 - 12 at the airport and 15c inland (where I live) ... I believe 15c is about 60 on the fahrenheit scale ... but then it's springtime here ... many flowers in bloom as well as cherry blossom trees. Mind you, it's playing hell with the Olympic Games programs ... should have had them last year when we had about four feet of snow at this time where I live and much, much more on the local mountains where they're holding the Snowboard Games ... and no, this is not "Global Warming" neither is it unusual for this part of Canada. We've had a number of winters with no snow what-so-ever over the 37 years I have resided in this part of the world. Conversely, we've had winters when the snow never seemed to quit falling. We simply accept whatever comes from the skies and quietly get on with our lives.
I saw the cherry blossoms while watching the Olympics last night... It was hard to believe.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
mobilchuckje
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TOFU
Boat Type: Islander 21

Post by mobilchuckje »

I went for a hike with friends yesterday. It was freakin' glorious. My buddy who lives near Baltimore is here and lovin' it. He keeps sending pics to his wife back home and rubbing it in.
IMG_0982.jpg
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

mobilchuckje wrote:I went for a hike with friends yesterday. It was freakin' glorious. My buddy who lives near Baltimore is here and lovin' it. He keeps sending pics to his wife back home and rubbing it in.

... Better put a stop to that real soon or you'll have the rest of the country wanting to move out here. (grin).

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
mobilchuckje

Post by mobilchuckje »

Hee hee.

We have a stinky pulp mill that keeps people away. I hope it never closes.

I'm off to enjoy the 50's temps and clear blue skies. Me and Mr. Baltimore are building a fence.

cheers,
chuck.
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

On the Big Island in Hilo Hawaii the trades are blowing from the NE at ca. 9 knots, the humidity is 56% and the temperature is 76F.
We've had less snow than Maine.
David
mobilchuckje

Post by mobilchuckje »

Check that!

All weather systems returning to nominal "crud" levels. It's gonna be a long slog to July 5th, traditional first day of summer here.

Carry on.

where's my fleece,
chuck.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

mobilchuckje wrote:Check that!

All weather systems returning to nominal "crud" levels. It's gonna be a long slog to July 5th, traditional first day of summer here.

Carry on.

where's my fleece,
chuck.

...Come on ... admit it ... we've had it pretty good this past few weeks ... Spring in February ... who would have believed it if there weren't hundreds of thousands of visitors out here for the summer olym ... I mean winter olympics ... Trouble is, many will believe it's like that all the time, and decide to move here from colder parts of the country. Can't blame 'em, it's been pretty fantastic while others have been buried in mountains of snow. ... Ho! ho! ho!

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

mobilchuckje

Post by mobilchuckje »

Actually today is turning out to be another glorious day here in the rainshadow. I feel sorry for those not lucky enough to be under the Sequim Hole today.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Our part of the Mid-Atlantic is in the crosshairs yet again. Depending upon who's trying hardest for the advertising dollars, predictions and hype are 6-12" over the next day plus.
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I have snow envy!