-10 degrees and glassing

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

-10 degrees and glassing

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Ahhhh! Back to glassing, after all the pain I went through in the last 2 months, it finally paid off yesterday. I was so happy! From bringing my boat from an outside shelter I built, to the inside of an old pull shed. Although I had to spend quit a few bucks to buy 6 mill poly, 2 100# propane tanks and the cost to fill those up, a burner, some more lumber and polystyrene panels to build a box to store my resin, and electrical wire and a lightbulb socket to keep the lightbulb on 24 hours a day inside that box to keep all my resin warm. It is -10 here in Minnesota and everything went as I hoped it would. I checked my resin and it was nice and warm inside that box, the first yippie of the day, then, I glassed a panel of recore, and blasted the heat, and it worked, the second yippie of the day, so, that went awsome; and I made the second panel of recore and glassed that, blasted the heat and it worked, that is, the resin set! Wow, its back to glassing. FInally! I went to bed a happy man last night!
Homer
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Yankee
Boat Type: Hinckley 38

Re: -10 degrees and glassing

Post by Homer »

I cannot even imagine working (or existing) in those temperatures. Amazing stuff. I will be filling in the holes from old Corinthian instruments this weekend. In short pants. It should be mid-sixties, dry, and partly cloudy in Galveston. Margaritas in the cockpit at four.
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

It's pure dedication to fullfill a dream of mine, my friend, nothing will stop me from doing this, nothing! Gave up the house, car and all the material crap to pursue a dream. The trick to staying warm in these temps, is don't think about the cold, but think about the warm tropical temps that I will soon be facing for the rest of my life on a sailboat of which I built to rebuild an old classic. It will be worth it in the end. The cold is just a temporary feeling I feel, warmth is freedom that will come forever.
Homer
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Yankee
Boat Type: Hinckley 38

Post by Homer »

My hat is off to you. Yes, indeed.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Brrrr!

My barn is open around the bottom in entirely too many places to pay to heat it. I'm waiting for spring.

First snowfall of the season in Philly, last Sat; here's Sunday morning:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... &id=124244
Attachments
IMG_2306r.JPG
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Wow, very nice boat your building. That will be my next and final project in my life, after I voyage the current one I am rebuilding, but during the next time, it will be built somewhere in the tropics. Yea, I was going to wait till spring time too, but I decided that the show must go on during the winter. It would drive me crazy to sit around and do nothing this winter. So, the price is worth it to spend the money to heat, for me at least.