A quick Thank You

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

A quick Thank You

Post by cantstopnow »

Thanks Tim for posting the Allied Seabreeze project on The Northern Yacht Restoration site. I look forward to seeing how you handle the challenges of the refitting and am more motivated to get my own projects done.
Thanks for what you do.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: A quick Thank You

Post by Rachel »

Hear, hear! How fun was it to watch this weekend's demolition? Good stuff! Thank you so much for taking the time to compose and share your logs.

Makes me laugh to myself as I remember pondering over whether to remove something like one little seacock or a bit of rudder fairing on my A-30 :D

The burning question: Does your buddy John do road trips? ;)

Rachel
BS Smith
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: #82
Boat Type: LeComte NE38

Post by BS Smith »

Tim,

Additional thanks and a couple more questions, perhaps impolite:

Was interested to read you scrapped the Lyman project and why. Ho, ho, the man’s human and not infallible! Despite years as a surveyor and yards of glass boat experience, the extent of structural repairs required still seems to have been overlooked (or perhaps not--couldn’t find the old Lyman pages to recall what was known at purchase). If so, what happened in the initial inspection—wood too different from glass; blinding enthusiasm; insufficient review? Any lesson here for the rest of us?

You mention “the amount of money the project would almost assuredly cost.” Some time back you provided brutally honest cost accounting for Glissando--eye popping insight for at least a few readers. Perhaps #16’s rebuilding has a nominal budget or it’s simply “big” and to be quantified later. Care to share?

BS
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

BS Smith wrote:Was interested to read you scrapped the Lyman project...what happened in the initial inspection—wood too different from glass; blinding enthusiasm; insufficient review?
Yes, yes, and yes. Mostly the latter: I readily admit that I had no clue what I was looking at during the initial purchase process, really. In the end, I was simply uninterested in taking the project to the extent required to do correctly once I found out exactly what that entailed. That boat was a minor diversion, not a passion.
BS Smith wrote:...couldn’t find the old Lyman pages...
Like the boat itself, the old website has been expunged happily from my life.
BS Smith wrote:Any lesson here for the rest of us?
Yes: those who ought to know better are equally or more susceptible to making foolish mistakes.
BS Smith wrote:Perhaps #16’s rebuilding has a nominal budget...
Nope: I haven't even considered wasting time on a budget that would be immediately smashed to smithereens. The project will cost whatever it costs, whether I budget in advance or not, and I have no idea what it will cost, or even how the whole thing will proceed. Clearly it is a crazy proposition, but it's who I am and what I do.

Note: this will be an extended project.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Tim,

Glad to hear you have started #16 at some point in this project I am sure you will be sending an expletive or two my way for being a piece of what got you going on this. If you need any pictures, I would be happy to send them your way.

I wish I had the guts to rip out the stupid bathtub size cooler like you did. If there is insulation around the tub it is the "low R" value type where you can measure the blocks of ice consumed daily as 1 for every 12 degrees above 70. The black hull does not help. Instead, I will be lining the existing cooler with 4" of foam and glassing it over.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Tim wrote: those who ought to know better are equally or more susceptible to making foolish mistakes.
This may be my new favorite quote as well as a source of solace during my own "what was I thinking" moments. Thanks Tim!

Ryan
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

Thanks to Ryan for bringing Tim's new project to the forefront and thanks to Tim for posting detailed notes, ideas and pictures of all of his projects.

I've ground (probably a bad word around fiberglass) to a halt on my project but reading about Tim's and others work progress makes me feel both good and bad at the same time. As I like to say these days, "I'm 3 years into my 2-year refit." Soon to be 4 years at the rate I'm going.

Good on ya' all!

Cheers
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man
Arcadia
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Arcadia »

Tim,

As an L-33 owner I'll be very interested in following how your interior is developed.

I have often pondered different arrangements. However, without the demolition you've just finished, it's always seems that you end up with too many limitations from some existing structure. To have a clean slate as you do must be refreshing. Do you have a basic layout in mind yet?

I'll also add my thanks for all your work in documenting your projects, and hosting this forum.. I can't tell you how many thing I've picked up (or remembered/relearned after years) just browsing through these threads.

Looking forward to your progress.
Chris
Tim

Post by Tim »

I do have some basic layout ideas in mind, but based more around general concepts and requirements than any specific designs.

Sometime in the relatively near future I think I'll probably post some musings on my Seabreeze project site that cover some of what I foresee happening in the interior. I have some absolutes, around which the remainder of the interior will come together.

One of the main reasons I chose to undertake a project like this--beyond the inherent challenge that appeals to me for some reason--was indeed to lay out the interior the way that suited us best, without any limitations beyond the physical constraints of the hull and deck.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Tim, let me add my gratitude for the detailed documentation of Seabreeze project.

Reading the Circe project log along with the Wall Street Journal each morning has been my daily morning routine. Adding to it the Seabreeze project log is like having a second cup of Starbucks every morning. What more can I ask for?
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Add me to the list of people piling on to thank to Tim for posting the log of his Seabreeze project. I started a simple but enjoyable tradition of reading construction logs with my morning tea during our Bolero project and I have continued with the various projects since. Both Circe and #16 are especially enjoyable to me since they include a fair amount of redesign and I enjoy watching the plots unfold. And as a bonus there aren't any commercials. Thanks, Tim

Cheers, Bill
mobilchuckje
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TOFU
Boat Type: Islander 21

Post by mobilchuckje »

Count me as thankful too.

Thanks Tim, for all of your great construction diaries.

Cheers,
chuck.
BS Smith
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: #82
Boat Type: LeComte NE38

Oh no, watch out, he’s got a saw!

Post by BS Smith »

Dang! Solved that access problem!!

BS
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I feel somewhat silly adding my gratitude to the bottom of a list full of it - but gratitude is not something to skimp on, so: THANK YOU. What you do with your life is inspiring, and the way you do it is inspired. I spend more time reading your words - or the words of others who have read them - than I do on any other pursuit outside of my work and my boat - and I never regret a minute of the time spent.

Thanks!

Chris
mobilchuckje
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TOFU
Boat Type: Islander 21

Post by mobilchuckje »

I was just catching up on the week's work on the Circe. Again, thank you Tim for your efforts and for sharing.
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Circe's icebox lid pictures and notes could not have come at a better time for me! Thanks as always. I can always find a good answer or idea in one of the many pages & pictures on Tim's sites.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
charlesadan
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Laser 28

Post by charlesadan »

I'd like to echo the sentiments - I look forward to the daily updates, and Monday's are especially fun when there's a new entry on the Seabreeze project. Thanks Tim.

Also, have you thought any more about a name for #16? I bet some of your readers would have suggestions, if you need ideas.
Tim

Post by Tim »

We have two names in mind, and are in the process of choosing one. The frontrunner is one that has no meaning outside my family, but has special meaning to me.

If it's even a real word, it's basically unheard of and uncommon.. This just about guarantees the uniqueness that I like, but I'm not yet sure if it's "the" name or not. Close, though. There's really not a rush, and I want to be sure the name is right. That said, I'm sick of referring to the boat generically.

Of course, I'd be interested in others' suggestions, just for fun, if anyone has suggestions. Non-binding, of course. But who knows--there may be a great idea somewhere.

Obviously we duly considered "Phoenix", but rejected it as too common/cliche/obvious.
charlesadan
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Laser 28

Post by charlesadan »

Hah! Well, I guess it really is obvious!

Still, when finished, the boat will always be a phoenix, even if it's not "Phoenix".

And when people like me hear the story, we will always be asking you "Did you ever think about..."

Just a thought =)
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Thanks Tim! Shoot, thanks for the education and quick tips along the way that make it easier for things for some of us neanderthals to pick up the tools and save some of these boats!

(I do however blame your Seabreeze... for the inclination to cut out Pylasteki's triton from one side to the other and start fresh! I need to go find a chalk board and write "I won't do it..." a few thousand times till that image is out of my head!)

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/