Hurricane Ike and sailboats

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Hurricane Ike and sailboats

Post by One Way David »

Here is a link to some Ike pictures some might find interesting. I know it was a year ago but I procrastinate.

http://igfiddles.com/ikesailboats.html

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Re: Hurricane Ike and sailboats

Post by Idon84 »

Wow! Great pics, thanks!

I have been watching a sister ship being rebuilt after it was holed and sank after Ike in Galvison. The pictures are just crazy.

http://bccrebuild.blogspot.com/
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Homer
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Yankee
Boat Type: Hinckley 38

Post by Homer »

What a thrill Ike was. I have still not gotten over it. The attached photo is of the slip next to mine (my boat is to the left). The Beneteau is on top of an Ericson. His mast broke off and fell on my bow. A storm surge of about 12 feet put the floating docks near the top of the reinforced concrete pilings. Huge waves on the back side of the hurricane came from the marsh which was now flooded (to the right on the photo). Boats were pushed on top of each other. More than a few beers and stories have occupied all of us lately as we remember Ike. The Mystic Mariner in the first post is at Pier 77 and is being rebuilt by a college student for an eventual trip to the Caribbean - at least that is the story in the yard.
Attachments
Ike.jpg
Ike.jpg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Thanks Idon84 and Homer for looking. I lived in Houston for 15 years or so and missed 2 hurricanes, being out of town. I can only imagine what it was like. Idon84, that is one cool sailboat in your link. Homer, I think I see the mast of the boat on bottom. Somebody cried over that. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Homer
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Yankee
Boat Type: Hinckley 38

Post by Homer »

One Way David - yes, that is what was left of the mast. So many things occur in hurricanes that I had not thought of. For instance, my doubled 5/8" premium dock lines turned rock hard apparently from the heat generated by friction of the fibers. I broke them off with a big hammer and chisel. Then there are the snakes - small, large, dead, alive, poisonous, not. Wow. Since the back side of the storm washed off the marsh, the marina was filled with a solid layer of cow patties. Tons of them. Nice touch. Finally, the weird. A large Grand Banks went from the farthest slip out all the way in to the parking lot and apparently hit only the three palm trees it was resting on. I will be happy to follow your lead and miss the next couple of hurricanes. Happily, this season is winding down without a threat.