Facts, opinions, and flames

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Facts, opinions, and flames

Post by okawbow »

What is wrong with making a statement on this forum, that you feel is true? I have been made to feel most unwelcome on this site more than once, by simply trying to help out a fellow sailor, or ask a question. What's with that? If you disagree with someone's statement; provide proof of why the statement is wrong, or don't say anything. Tim saw fit to lock the discussion, even though he also makes statements, such as " The Only Sanding Disc for Your Project." I believe it's his opinion that that statement is a fact, and I believe him. His statement is based on years of hands-on experience, as was mine. I also believe there is a different answer to almost every statement. "The world is round, that's a fact." no it isn't. It's not a perfect sphere, it's sort of round. Most of the statements of fact made 200 years ago, are no longer valid. It may be the same 200 years from now.

I'll accept proof that I'm wrong gracefully. But the onus is on you to provide that proof, and not just dis me with your "opinion".
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Facts, opinions, and flames

Post by Case »

Relax, man.

I've seen your other post about the wood species, etc.

It looks to me that you rubbed one other forumite the wrong way and he rubbed you the wrong way. I rolled my eyes when I saw it.

It happens. Every once in a while two people meet and it doesn't go well. Its life. I have 100% perfect eBay feedback, over a thousand but I can tell you a couple of them rubbed me the wrong way. They felt rubbed the wrong way from me and I don't even know what did it. Fortunately neither side left a bad feedback, just nothing.

Just forget what happened and read other more interesting posts in this forum. There's lots.

- Case
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I agree with Case. As the OP, I cringed when I saw the discussions start heading toward a debate on what wood is better than another, who is right and whatnot. A lot of folks here have a lot of knowledge in particular subject matters and as such can take posts on those subjects more personally than others. For me, the final answer to a problem usually comes from hearing the input and advice from everyone that posts (whether you agree or not), and then putting together a solution that fits the particular situation at hand.
I wouldn't take fact that Tim locked the thread personally either. The discussion had gone way off track from the original question and obviously any further posts would have just fueled a fire that never should have been started in the first place. Locking it keeps what advice was offered in tact and keeps the subject from getting cluttered with head bashing.

Ryan
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

Geez! An I,am still looking for the enter key. TOM
BS Smith
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: #82
Boat Type: LeComte NE38

Post by BS Smith »

Chuck,

Good you voiced your concern; always better to talk than stew.

Just to state the obvious:

It’s Tim’s website; he can say and do whatever he wants. Should he make a habit of saying or doing silly things, site attendance will move elsewhere. But so far, would say all agree, so good.

The tenor and content here contrasts sharply with other special interest sites. People here know things and take time to communicate their knowledge. Any English teacher must feel warm and fuzzy reading the posts—grammar and spelling still exist (unlike, for example, in most Craigslistings…). All due of course to the posters and site administration.

No one likes being told they’re wrong, particularly in a public forum, especially on a topic one has expertise. Some don’t like seeing definitive statements they disagree with, especially on a topic they have expertise.

Forum rules cover this matter—“Please keep the posts polite… please consider how you compose your posts so as to avoid miscommunication.” Arguably, telling another “you’re wrong” isn’t polite behavior. Would say Rachel sets the charm school standard for voicing alternative views in the squeakiest clean manner.

Stick around—if not for you, I’d never have heard of osage orange.

And now I need to get to work on my next post, something combining commerce, religion, politics and sex in a profane manner.

Till then,

BS
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

BS Smith wrote: Would say Rachel sets the charm school standard for voicing alternative views in the squeakiest clean manner.
Absolutley!
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

BS Smith wrote:......now I need to get to work on my next post, something combining commerce, religion, politics and sex in a profane manner.

Till then,

BS
Lookingforward to it. Of course only because I do not moderate here. ;)
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

What ever you do, do not suggest the use of both Teflon tape and pipe dope to be used together.. (wink)
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

What ever you do, do not suggest the use of both Teflon tape and pipe dope to be used together
My 2 favorite materials next to wire nuts and electrical tape!
The board does not cut itself short!