The Origins of the Pearson Triton

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

The Origins of the Pearson Triton

Post by Hirilondë »

In the fall of 2001 while in the final year of my residentual remodeling career I had the privilege of meeting and working for Tom Potter. During my time at his house I noticed a simple drawing of a boat that he had framed and displayed on the wall. I commented that it looked a lot like a Triton. He replied that it was his drawing and the very first depiction ever of what would later become the Triton. He then told me the story of how the Triton launched the small boat building company named Pearson into the sailboat market. It has been my experience that little or no credit has been given to this man for the concept that would become the Pearson Triton or the concept of the affordable family cruiser coming to the United States that would come to reality because of him. While surfing the web I came across this article and found it to agree with the story Mr. Potter told me. I thought some people here might find it interesting.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: The Origins of the Pearson Triton

Post by Case »

Nice Article! I've read something similar before but a different article.

One interesting fact that was left out: Tom Potter and Carl Alberg did have one "warm up" fiberglass design before the Triton. This warm up design was the Sea Sprite 23. Originally designed for Beetle Boats, it ended up being first built by... American Boat Building which the article did indicate Tom Potter worked at. Article mentioning this:.

- Case
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Additional (if briefly summarized) info here.

We also have a recording of Everett Pearson speaking to NETA that (if memory serves) discusses this, as well as other facts of interest about Pearson Yachts and the Triton specifically.

Tom Potter passed away a year or two ago, I think. Thanks for passing along your personal side of the Triton/Tom Potter story.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The Triton was very much Tom Potter's baby. It was his concept and his initlal efforts that made it come to life. Other people came into the story of the Triton but it all started with Tom and he deserves the credit.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Dan Spurr also quotes Tom Potter from a 1997 interview in his book Heart of Glass (1999). He does a nice job of honoring Potter's contributions, also.