Show us your shed....

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Show us your shed....

Post by Oscar »

Didn't want to drift another thread where it came up: "Having the house, the boat and the tools in one place...." So here goes. If you want, share your "cave", the workshop, the putter palace, the garage mahal, the tinker tent, the (wo)man building.....

I am very appreciative of the fact that I have achieved a lifelong dream, a real shop. OK, it took me four years to build it, but it has heat, cooling, hot and cold running water, bathroom, cable, satellite radio, internet, fridge and coffee maker, lift for automotive action and many tools. (Almost said: all the tools, but we know that that is impossible.)

I can be in there all day working on something, the boat in this case, in comfort, with commercial free music, the ticker tape with no sound, a cup of joe or a cold drink of water and nothing to bother me. The other day I had the big doors open while it was raining steady outside.....just heavenly. It's some of the best "anger management". And, to top it all off, it's efficient, and projects get done quickly and properly.

After digging/pouring the footing (three feet down) I laid block. There is lots of rebar, grouting and poured in place headers. After five years there is not a crack in it.....

I had gotten a hold of a load of unrelated old barn beams. I used them for the front and rear headers, floor beams and ridge poles. The latter allowed me to set the rafters unaided. (FWIW, except for pouring concrete it was all a one man job.)

Roof and windows.....

A lean to out the back. It now has sliding doors and the boat lives under it, as well as the lawn and garden department.

Some inside shots.....

The wife only had one restriction.....it had to match the house. There is a 4" brick ledge at grade and all that's left to do is lay the brick on the front, and the side facing the house..... 6000 or so. But the boat is first.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: Show us your shed....

Post by Chris Campbell »

I've babbled about my shed enough recently, but in case anyone is still interested, and in keeping with the thread's request, here's a link to my site's past, with blog entries on the shed's construction: http://www.ramoak.com/yankee30/past/, and one to the image gallery of the shed: http://www.ramoak.com/yankee30/26/boat-shed.

Cheers,

Chris
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

I've been looking at your shed..... Still contemplating a place to park my camper (35 feet)
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I think it'd make a great camper-shelter. I wouldn't put the knee walls on it again if I were redoing it - I'd make the bows longer (in my case they would have been 22'). Or I suppose you could do that trick you often see where the knee walls are concrete block with earth piled up to them, making them essentially part of the earth, and the bow shed is built on that.

Your shed is fabulous, by the way - I'd love to have a heated, permanent structure to play in! Down the road, perhaps.

Cheers,

Chris
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Interesting. I built a 36x40 steel building for my wood shop and the only assistance was my brother helping put on the skin. I dug into a gently rising grade and put in a slab. I build a 2' concrete knee wall and built the building on top of that. Now I have a loft in 1/3 of the shop for storage and to get compressor and dust collector off the floor. I have the same heater, 55 gal steel barrel. I mounted a squirrel cage fan in one corner about 10' up aimed at the door. When I climb up there to correct the wiring so that it turns in the correct rotation it will keep air moving, but not cool much. My plans are now are to add a 40x50 shop onto the back for boat, vehicles and tractors. Lesson learned this year is that boat projects should be done in the winter, in doors. Starting a bottom job in Kansas in the spring garrantees that is will be a wet spring. Its july and I have 3 1' patches of the bottom to finish before splash. And a week of rain forcast. Grrrr. Nice shop BTW. Dave (I will look for pics but no promises)
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.