Looking for some rigging advice

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

Looking for some rigging advice

Post by Gordon »

I am a carpenter and never got involved with rigging in the boat shop, sort of wish I had now as I have a 45' sloop and it is time to rig her. If I hire a rigger it will get done properly but I still won't know how to fix things if they fail on a cruise. So against all the good advice I have recieved I am going to do the rigging myself and am looking for helpful advice from seasoned sailors. there is a long story behind this, the local paper did an article about it. Good advice will be appreciated.

Thank you
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... lAFriend=1

Update: Thank you for the valued advice, I may be determined (perhaps stubborn) but I am trying to limit doing stupid things so I have been persuaded to have a real rigger put it togather.
Last edited by Gordon on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Looking for some rigging advice

Post by Skipper599 »

... Hello Gordon.
... First, I would recommend at least two technical publications for your guidance:

... 1). Understanding RIGS and RIGGING (revised edition) by: Richard Henderson.

... 2). The Complete RIGGER'S APPRENTICE ... by: Brion Toss.

... These are a must in my books for anyone wanting to tackle this highly skilled job.
... Don't go cheap on the rig and, always ask for advice if you realise you're getting out of your depth.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by BALANCE »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a staysail offered more options (safer options) for going to windward and more stability in big weather - especially for a solo sailor?

Is there going to be a mizzen on Amnsesty?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

BALANCE wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a staysail offered more options (safer options) for going to windward and more stability in big weather - especially for a solo sailor?

Is there going to be a mizzen on Amnsesty?
Both Bermuda races and many other off-shore races require staysails. More sail options can be key to safety. That is why I like a ketch for short handed especially, but even fully crewed ocean sailing.

He mentions that it is a 45' sloop, so I would doubt there will be a mizzen.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Post by Stubrow »

First of all, kudos for all you have accomplished especially under the circumstances that you describe. Amazing achievement, and it's obvious that you are a an extremely capable guy. Most sympathetic to the financial hurdle of purchasing and installing rigging. But my advice, for what it's worth, is be sure you are really saving money by going this route unstead of actually having someone design and assemble a rig for your boat. (assuming this is an aluminum spar you are planning on using.) You (or someone) will want to do the final fitting of shroud terminals to boat once the mast is in because it's so easy to go wrong with the measurments at this final stage.
A few years ago, I 'built' a mast, (bought the section, spreaders, fittings, cut the shrouds, blah blah, and put it together my self. I had to adapt this to that, fudge a little bit here and there, It was a nightmare and I ended up saving about 50 cents over what it would have been to buy the whole package. This WAS for a more racing oriented mast with rod rigging, specialized terminals etc., And I'm not exactly a wizard at doing this kind of work, but I think you should at least price it out as thoroughly as you can before you deciding how much mast building you really want to get involved with.
Not matter what you do, best of luck with it and I look forward to following your progress.
cheers.
Gordon wrote:I am a carpenter and never got involved with rigging in the boat shop, sort of wish I had now as I have a 45' sloop and it is time to rig her. If I hire a rigger it will get done properly but I still won't know how to fix things if they fail on a cruise. So against all the good advice I have recieved I am going to do the rigging myself and am looking for helpful advice from seasoned sailors. there is a long story behind this, the local paper did an article about it. Good advice will be appreciated.

Thank you
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... lAFriend=1
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com