Deep Water film

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Deep Water film

Post by Stubrow »

Probably old news to many people here, but I just saw the doc. film, Deep Water. (been out for a couple of years). terrific film and worth seeing, in my opinion.
Especially if you are at all familiar with the story. Having read the the book on Crowhurst, which was terrific, as well as the Robin Knox-Johnson and Moitessier books, which all recount this 'race', made it all the more alive for me personally. Although not necessary to appreciate the film. Mostly original footage, (very little 're-enactment' type stuff).
Crowhurst comes across as a more sympathetic figure in the film. Better appreciation of the 'bind' he got himself into, the financial ruin, and total humiliation he would suffer if he just decided to call the whole thing off.
All the more haunting was the photo they showed at the end of his battered and abandoned Piver Trimaran on the beach somewhere in the Caribbean.
Also have to appreciate the lunacy of trying to 'round the horn' in a boat like this. No doubt there have been those who have managed it, but others who were never heard of again. (such as Piver himself)
Trying to upload the photo, but not sure if I will succeed.
Last edited by Stubrow on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Re: Deep Water film

Post by Idon84 »

Great documentary for sure! I've watched it about a half a dozen times. For me, my main interest was in seeing more the footage shot by Moitessier. Speaking of that, does anyone know where you can get ALL of the footage? There are a few videos on YouTube but very few in the way of his '68 1 & 1/2 times around the world.

Moitessier's simplicity, unconventional knowledge and attitude are is solely responsible for my current state of boat craziness. I even almost bought a steel Dudley Dix, Hout Bay 30 once. In one of his books he mentions the Pardey's as being minimalist like himself, which is where I found the final shape of my "dream boat."
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I have a DVD of Moitessier's film footage. It's a European DVD but did play on my Mac. Here is a link to information about it: (I haven't tried to get it in the US, as I got it from my French professor, although I do have an American friend who has a copy too - he may have bought it from this link.)

http://4-oceans.com/DVD-voyage-bernard_moitessier.asp

(Let me know if there's anything on the page that I can help you translate.)

The Teignmouth Electron is on Cayman Brac. A friend of mine saw it there when he went on a SCUBA driving trip.

I really enjoyed the book that the film was based on, The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst. I had put off reading it for the longest time, until there was nothing else left aboard that I hadn't read twice. Then I found that I couldn't put it down. It was extra compelling to read it at night, on passage.

After the book, the film was a great chance to put faces to names. I felt like I got to know Clare Crowhurst better (his wife) through the film. It was especially vivid to see those people "now" as older people (Clare and then Simon - their son - as an adult, for example) after seeing them in still photos and old footage as younger people.

I just read something I didn't remember: I couldn't remember Clare's name, so I Googled and found this article, which says that their son, Simon, didn't realize what had actually happened until he was a teenager and picked up "The Strange Last Voyage..." in a library. In this article, Simon adds some interesting commentary:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/a ... 265280.ece

Rachel
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Wow. You do know everything!

Thanks,
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Anyone who enjoyed Deep Water might be interested in reading Robert Stone's compelling novel, Outerbridge Reach, which was informed by the Crowhurst story.

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Idon84 wrote:Wow. You do know everything!
I'd like to put you in touch with my younger brother, if you don't mind...
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

Another page turner (but not about sailing) is Shadow Divers.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Hey thanks.......! Did not know about the existence of this movie.

Sailing alone is something I tend to do once in a while. Most recently when I had Lady Kay III and did half of the three round trips between the Chesapeake and Florida solo, outside. There were two hands full of Chichester, Moitessier and the like on board, including Crowhurst. The latter book I found particulalry riveting, although not uplifting. How did his boat end up on the beach? I remember a freighter picked it up and took it to the Dominican where the journalists examined it. Then what? I found Moitessier the most inspiring, although he was not very nice to the women in his life.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.