Dr. Brodie!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Dr. Brodie!

Post by Brodie »

For the last 7 years I've been working towards a PhD in biological oceanography. Today (Wednesday) I finally defended my dissertation and I passed! Still have some revisions to do but now the major anxiety is over...and it's almost time to start working on the boat!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Sweet! Congratulations! Your field sounds really interesting, too.

Rachel
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

I've been working towards a PhD in biological oceanography.
Congratulations!

Does this now mean that when you haul your boat you are fully qualified to analyze the critters stuck to the bottom?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

That is a major accomplishment, congratulations. When it was schooling time I lacked the interest and the motivation, never got past a BS and AS. Now I'm pushing two kids through school, and it will probably never happen. Then again, you never know.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Does this now mean that when you haul your boat you are fully qualified to analyze the critters stuck to the bottom?
haha...sort of. My dissertation was on fish populations in Narragansett Bay but I do know a bit about fouling communities.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Brodie wrote:
haha...sort of. My dissertation was on fish populations in Narragansett Bay but I do know a bit about fouling communities.
Congratulations on your academic success.

... now ... How do I keep Zebra mussels from growing in my cockpit drains? I sail in fresh water at the extreme western end of Lake Ontario. I've heard that bleach will kill them but I'd rather not have them there in the first place. Besides, the bleach isn't going to remove the shells etc. Zebra mussels are a MAJOR problem in the Great Lakes.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

In order to keep them from settling you need some sort of coating in the drain that they don't like. Antifouling paint with copper would be my first thought, another idea is using Desitin (the diaper rash stuff), my boyfriend's dad puts it on the depth transducer of his IP32 to keep it clean and it works for a good chunk of the summer (in saltwater). not sure how it would do against the invincible zebra mussel but copper is very toxic to nearly all invertebrates, which is why it's in antifouling.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Desitin (the diaper rash stuff)
Interesting! And guess what, sitting in salt water for extended periods I have that on board anyways........ But, will it booger up the readings?
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Well, I'm not sure if he's done any serious testing, but it appears to work fine. Now I'm not sure if it's on the depthsounder transducer, the speedo or both. If it's the speedo, the GPS would be a good check, but honestly, it's an IP32, you're either not moving (if it's not windy) or moving (if it is windy). It's one of those boats with two speeds: stop and go.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

Congratulations Dr. Brodie

Hope to see you sometime this summer sailing on the bay

Pete
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Brodie wrote:In order to keep them from settling you need some sort of coating in the drain that they don't like. Antifouling paint with copper would be my first thought, another idea is using Desitin (the diaper rash stuff), my boyfriend's dad puts it on the depth transducer of his IP32 to keep it clean and it works for a good chunk of the summer (in saltwater). not sure how it would do against the invincible zebra mussel but copper is very toxic to nearly all invertebrates, which is why it's in antifouling.
I presume Desitin is a zinc oxide paste, so any similar product like Penaten should work as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try this spring.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I presume Desitin is a zinc oxide paste
It is.