More about me.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

More about me.

Post by Skipper599 »

... Hello again folk, and thank you for the warm welcome.
... I thought you might like to know a little more about me, so that there is no misunderstandings about my expertise or lack of, when it comes to boat building.
... I'm a retired manufacturer's representative (Regional Service Manager), involved with heavy equipment ... both mining and earth moving. For the last 15 years of my work life I held the same position for a well known manufacturer of heavy highway trucks ... I'm currently 76 years of age.

... My father was a Carpenter/Cabinet Builder in England ... I wanted to follow in his footsteps but, he advised against it. Wrong! Should have done it. ... In retrospect, I should have become a Shipwright because, that is what I enjoy doing as a hobby although, I know I don't come anywhere near close to that category ... but I'm trying.

... The Hull & Deck I purchased was advertised by the builder as a "Kit" ... all I can say is, their idea of a kit is vastly different from mine. But maybe I expect too much. There was nothing but the bare F/G shell of a boat and that was it. No drawings, plans or anything ... Is this normal?

... What it did for me, was force me to acquire a fairly extensive library of "How to" books. Books that I've spent many hours reading ...Writers such as: Pardey, Graves, Toss, Dawson, Nicolson, Mate, Roth, Bingham, Kinney's 'Skene's elements of yacht design' and a few more. The Technical Reference books are invaluable, and consulted frequently.

... Previous Sailing experience: Started when I was about 12 years of age, with a 'Model yacht Club' sailing the Marblehead class of sail boat. These were 1 metre in length, also a K class. these were 5' oal.
... Never involved with sailing again until I was 30 and working at a mine-site in N.Ontario. There, a mine engineer and myself built an Ian Proctor design "Osprey" an 18' one-design. Plywood lapstrake style, and fibre-glassed exterior because we built with 'used' plywood. We used a piece of 2.5" Aluminum pipe for a mast and the sails were made from 'used' mill screen cloth. It sailed very well.
... 1971 ... I bought a George Hinterhoeller designed "Cygnus" ... a 20' open daysailer with a cuddy. Eventually, I swapped this for another Hinterhoeller vessel, ... his famous "Shark" ... Both terrific boats, that gave me an appreciation for 'Fractional Rigs'
... Have since been without a boat 'in the water' ... but have sailed with others on various types. Also sailed on an Alberg 37 in the WestVan YC winter races as crew for 3 seasons.
... I have this desire to stand up to shave in the mornings and so, I bought the Passage 24 ... it has a 6' standing headroom ... all I have to do now is, complete the build and go sailing ... before it's too late.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Bob,

As others have said, welcome to the forum.

I was pleased to see you mention the Shark. I currently own a Shark which I sail and race on western Lake Ontario at RHYC. This is the second Shark I have owned. In the 70's, I owned a Hinterhoeller-built Shark. They are great boats and give good value for the money. At least I think so, but I am prejudiced.

Best of luck with your boat!
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Shark wrote:Bob,

As others have said, welcome to the forum.

I was pleased to see you mention the Shark. I currently own a Shark which I sail and race on western Lake Ontario at RHYC. This is the second Shark I have owned. In the 70's, I owned a Hinterhoeller-built Shark. They are great boats and give good value for the money. At least I think so, but I am prejudiced.

Best of luck with your boat!
... Hi there Mr. Shark,
... Many people have sailed Sharks and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There's even a few who had the guts to sail across oceans in them ... I don't think I'm that brave ... One fellow sailed his to Australia. I can't recall if he sailed alone or, with his family ... I have a notion it was the latter. If so, they had to get along with each other very well. That's an awful small space in which to be cooped up together for such a period of time.
... My Shark was built by C&C ... a lovely, well built boat. I believe the class is slowly fading. Rather a pity because it is the ideal small family racer, relatively inexpensive (if you're buying used) ... and FAST. Have you ever got yours planing over 10 kts?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Skipper599 wrote:... Hi there Mr. Shark,
... Many people have sailed Sharks and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There's even a few who had the guts to sail across oceans in them ... I don't think I'm that brave ... One fellow sailed his to Australia. I can't recall if he sailed alone or, with his family ... I have a notion it was the latter. If so, they had to get along with each other very well. That's an awful small space in which to be cooped up together for such a period of time.
... My Shark was built by C&C ... a lovely, well built boat. I believe the class is slowly fading. Rather a pity because it is the ideal small family racer, relatively inexpensive (if you're buying used) ... and FAST. Have you ever got yours planing over 10 kts?
The fellow who sailed a Shark to Australia DID sail with his family! It's part of "Shark lore." Another fellow sailed one to England and Bob Lush had one modified by adding a foot to her hull so she could qualify for the OSTAR race. He then crossed the Atlantic during the race. Apparently the worst thing about the trip was boredom while he was becalmed. It was in the days before satellite internet etc.

Fast - Yes, they can be fast. I have no knotmeter on my boat. When the rudder starts to hum, Scoot, that's my boat, is doing about 7 knots. When the humming goes away, she's going faster and is starting to surf. I've had her surfing a few times for short periods under spinnaker. Now, that is a rush!!

Class - The class is more or less static. Some boats are more than 40 years old and no new ones are being built. However, so many were made, 2500+, that there are still plenty of them around. It's the one design racing, the basic excellence of the design for its purpose and their low initial cost cost the keeps the class going.

The 50th Anniversary Shark Worlds will be sailed this coming August at Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club. That's George Hinterhoeller's former home club.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca