Gorgeous Interior

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Gorgeous Interior

Post by Case »

Came across this website with a boat for sale. It has a gorgeous interior.

Come and look at it...

The boat with gorgeous interior.

I think winter is getting to me.

Case
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Gorgeous Interior

Post by Rachel »

Case wrote:I think winter is getting to me.
Probably.

But still, you have to sometimes laugh at these ads. At least I do. Sometimes I worry that people will think it's mean, but really it just keeps me from feeling bitter and discouraged ;) Seriously, a bit of a laugh (about what many of us have found out to be true, sometimes the hard way) as we do our projects is not a bad thing.

And you have to love the person's attitude:

The inside has been painted and the paint is flaking off. That will make getting rid of the mold easier.

That is definitely "looking at the bright side."

I couldn't tell for sure if the boat is for sale, or if the writer had just bought it. If so, maybe he'll show up here.

Rachel

PS: I initially thought "ah a Bristol/Sailstar 24," but then I spied an opening cockpit locker (actually looks like there are three). Lack of those was what caused me to take the B-24 off my shopping list.

There is a photo of a builder's plate that is hard to read but says something about "Olympic Yacht xxx, Montreal, Canada" I did a bit of searching and as it turns out, there is an "Olympic Star 23," of which it looks like this fellow's boat is one. There was some talk of it having been designed by Carl Alberg, but I didn't see anything I'd consider conclusive, without more information.

Two or three of them turned up in "For Sale" ads around Ontario and Quebec.

Maybe you all knew about these already, but I'd never seen or heard of one before.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

I am a boat nut but I'm not familiar with this design. I initially thought it was a modified Kittiwake 23 or a Southcoast 23, both Alberg designs. But it looks a touch different, a bit more freeboard and draft than either Alberg designs.

The Olympic Star 23 might be a lost Alberg design. I wouldn't be surprised. Of all sizes, Alberg did the most in the 22-23 feet range. I know of 8 Alberg designs in that size range. It could also be a modified copy, Alberg had some problems in this regard. Best example would be the Alberg 35/Ericson 35.

I looked at the pictures again and found the boat's name rather interesting - its called Second Wind...

- Case
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I came across this awhile back when I was researching small Albergs also - it showed up in a Google search because someone had suggested that maybe it was an Alberg design, which, as you point out, it's not. Another person formed a Yahoo Group for the Olympic Star (http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympic_star/) - more or less to find out more about that particular boat and to possibly find someone who would take it on. It was about a year ago that I was noticing, at that point the yard was looking for something a little over $1000 for the yard bill, but other than that a person could have the boat. I noticed one more Olympic Star at our yacht club here in Halifax, NS, and found references to a few more here and there. In fact here's one for sale in Barrie, ON: http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles ... Z101077318.

It's a pretty little boat, worth it for someone to fix up, I would think. Although the yard bill is a little steep for a boat that needs that much work and comes without sails or motor...
David

Post by David »

The designer is : C. A. Martzoucos

Find her specifications here:
http://www.sailboatdata.com/VIEWRECORD. ... SS_ID=4980
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Good one! Thanks.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

David,

Interesting. I'm curious if you've found this information anywhere besides sailboatdata.com? I ask not to challenge you, but because I've found some bad data on that site concerning boat models that I definitely know I have correct information on.

I didn't spend a lot of time researching, although I did find one French forum on which someone who sounded like he knew said it was an Alberg design. I'm not saying I believe that - just that unless we find out more than that one person on Alberg and sailboatdata.com on Martzoucos (funny the initials before that are C.A; they also have him listed for a "Corinthian 28"), I'll probably still wonder a bit.

Rachel

PS: I have not searched any further myself.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I hope you're not suggesting that any of the information on the Internet might not be completely accurate.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

No, no, of course not. Sheesh.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

A guy I work with says he used to own one, so I'll ask him next time I see him.

That sounds like it would be simple, right? Guy in Montreal used to own a boat built in Montreal, small world, etc.

But I have a feeling this actually make things even worse, since now he has a Star. The Star he owns now is the Star in the Olympics. But this is not an "Olympic Star", like he used to have, which is completely different.

I think he like confusing people with this, and he loves to talk, and he likes it if you buy another bottle of wine. He goes round and round, very entertainingly, but never gets very "definitive". He also has an Alberg 30, so with a little luck, the relationships between these boats may prove to be completely impenetrable.

I'll ask him, though, even if it costs me a bottle of wine and a few stories ;-)
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Yes, searching on Google was complicated by the existence of the one-design olympic "star" class!

Rachel

PS: Big of you to suffer through the wine and stories on our behalf ;) It'll be fun to hear what you find out.