Contessa 26 companionway question

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Contessa 26 companionway question

Post by Rachel »

I've got a question for which I'm sure the answer will be embarrassingly obvious, but, oh well, everyone else can smugly realize how smart they are as they read my query...

I'd idly wondered this in the past, and again while watching the work progress on Equinox:

How does the top companionway "drop board" work with that rounded hood design on the Contessa? Usually the top board just drops down from above, of course; but can it do that with this arrangement (because there is no companionway slider above to slide back out of the way)? Or do the lower ones drop in and then the top (dome-shaped) one just... well, what does it do?

Thank you,

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel posting a question concerning physical characteristics and no picture? Sheeesh, can't be answered then :)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

The best I could do is this picture of a Sonar sailboat...

Look at the companionway entrance. See the recess in the wood of the top part of the companionway entrance? The top dropboard is attached to the dropboard just below it with hinges. You fit the lower dropboard into the recess then slide it down. The top dropboard hinges up and it is locked with a hasp. This is the way it is done with my uncle's Sonar (not this one).

I'm not sure if the Contessa has this system but its one way to do it without a companionway slide.

- Casey
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's more or less like Case suggests, but without the hinge.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hirilondë wrote:Rachel posting a question concerning physical characteristics and no picture? Sheeesh, can't be answered then :)
What on earth was I thinking? Hee hee.

Thanks for the explanation. Obviously it works, as Contessas have made it around the world -- I was just curious how! (And I didn't see a hasp-slot, but there must be one there.)

Rachel
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Thanks for asking Rachel. I wondered about this as well.