Virtual Racing

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Virtual Racing

Post by Hirilondë »

A member of the Messing-About forum linked this site for a free on-line version of the Volvo Ocean Race Game. I signed up yesterday and started as "Hirilonde". Thought some here might get a kick out of it.

http://www.volvooceanracegame.org/home.php

As it has already started you get placed in the middle of no where and out of competition for the 3rd leg, hence probably out of the over all race as well, but the next leg might be fun at least. I don't know if or when the next race would be. Maybe it just follows the actual races? Any way, it might be fun.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Dave,

Have you looked into Virtual Skipper? I have version 3 and they are now up to VS 5. The animation is beyond belief and the response of the different boats is appropriate. The Melges 24 is twitchie while the AC boats are merely very responsive. The shortcomings of the animation is that you can sail right up to the shore and hitting a rock at full speed is no different than hitting one of the tetrahedrons. That aside, it is a lot of fun. You can do drills, race the system and race others on a network (a friend is a real computer geek and sailor so we go and sail on his 60" flat panel display. It is pretty cool.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

Leg 4 of the Volvo Ocean Race starts on Jan 18th.
Its a hoot!!
I've done legs 2 and 3 so far.

I'm on there as erebus.
Zachary
Adams, MA