MMA Boat Auction

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
ensign001
Bottom Paint Application Technician

MMA Boat Auction

Post by ensign001 »

Has anyone ever bought a boat at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy's boat auction, or attended the auction? Everytime I look at the boat listing, it never seems to change even though they indicate that they have 2 - auctions each year. I'm just looking for some general information to see if it is a worthwhile event.
Here is the link to the current boat listing:

http://www.maritime.edu/l2.cfm?page=132
Tony
Pearson Ensign, #1 (rev. 1/26/09)
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

I bought the Triton that I am currently rebuilding from MMA in the spring of 2007, I also bought a 12' portabote from them a couple of years back.

In past years the best boats were delivered to them just before the auction, one year I bid on a very nice Cheoy Lee 38 another year a Cal 43 neither listed, both arrived the day before.
Don't rely on them to keep the list up to date, they don't. Often they have boats on site that never make the list.

Also, since the change in the tax laws it has become harder for them to find boats in the mid range, a lot of the boats are junk (bad design and bad condition) some are good but high end.
I don't know how far you have to drive, I am only about an hour away and usually find it to be worth the trip.
If you go, don't pay any attention to the suggested price, a lot of people go but few bid.

Barry
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

Tony,

I've never been to that auction although I am on their mailing list. Barry's right about the inaccuracy of the list on line. There's another little twist MMA throws in for the nicer boats: a lease-to-buy program. I don't know the details but some of the boats on their list aren't really available because someone is leasing the boat.

A number of years ago Kate Ambach bought Triton #80 at the auction fairly cheaply, although after putting many hours into the boat she sold it. I think deals can be had at the MMA but I'm not sure if it's worth the trip from Maine. You might have more luck closer to home by combing the yards for boats that haven't launched in a while.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl