Hello All - new poster and an introduction.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Flashman
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Hello All - new poster and an introduction.

Post by Flashman »

Hello All.

I just found this web site this morning.

Plastic Classics was mentioned in a email message on the Trawlers-and-Trawlering mailing list.

I’ve already had about 20 “why didn’t I think of that” moments while visiting this site. What a great resource. Thank you all.

Melissa and I bought a brand new Tartan 37 in 1984 and sailed her from Maine to Florida. In 2000 I was injured in a accident and could no longer move around the boat. We sold her, and thought we were done with boating.

By 2002 we knew we had to get back into boating.

We started looking at 35 to 40 ft. trawlers. We looked at dozens of Marine Traders, Albins, CHBs, Presents, and all the other Taiwanese makes. All were junk. I was about to give up.

Finally, I met a broker in Charleston SC who said “ I have a listing for a trawler designed by DeFever and built in the US that is in pretty bad shape. Unlike the Taiwanese boats she’s all glass from a female mold, never had teak decks, and I believe she can be restored.”

We bought the boat in April of 2003. She is a PassageMaker 40 built by Jensen Marine, Costa Mesa CA, in 1973. Jensen Marine is best known for their Cal and Ranger sailboats.

We had her trucked to a boatyard near our home on Merritt Island Fl.

We started with a chain saw and a sawzall.

In the spring of 2007 we were done with most of our restoration and had her trucked back to Marine Propulsion in Charleston SC where her new Cummins “5.9 B” engine, and NL genset were installed.

We spent the rest of the summer and fall cruising the Chesapeake before heading home.

Before I can say “finished (ha-ha)” I need to paint the exterior. I’ll be asking questions, and reading prior threads about that.

If you like, you can see our project at Full Step Additional photos are available at Rebuilding.

BTW, a Full Step is the smallest distance a machine tool can move ( that’s my business), but it’s also a Full Step away from all our previous sailboats. Sad, but necessary. I’m just glad to be back on the water.

Mike

Merritt Island, Fl.
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by rshowarth »

Wow a new post-er that introduces himself with albums of photos!

Thanks

Read
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
David

Post by David »

Hi Mike,

What is the form you used for your scuppers?

David
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

...also a Full Step away from all our previous sailboats. Sad, but necessary. I’m just glad to be back on the water.
I will admit that I occasionally lust after a stink-potter. Any way back on the water is a good way.

I am quite jealous of your interior volume and the opportunities you were able to exploit.

Nice work and welcome aboard :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Welcome!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

Welcome aboard mate.

Great looking trawler. There are a lot of them on the Chesapeake Bay and I'll agree with Britton, it must be nice to have all that space, but then not having a lot of space keeps my shopping under control which makes the Spouse happy. :)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Welcome to the forum. I've spent a lot of time recently delivering and working on a Defever 52 Offshore Cruiser my dad purchased late last year. I won't be getting rid of the sailboat, but cruising on the trawler is definitely nice.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com