What makes a plastic boat a classic?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Ceto
Deck Grunge Scrubber

What makes a plastic boat a classic?

Post by Ceto »

I know a lot of stuff about guitars. I own 8, have been playing for over 20 years and I can spot a classic guitar a mile away.

As far as plastic boats go, what makes a boat a classic?

Would my Northstar 500 qualify as one?
Play.

Northstar 500 #67

ceto001.wordpress.com
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

That's a tough question, and is open to many different interpretations. To me it is a plastic boat that has many of the lines of a wooden boat. It was probably designed near the transition from wood to plastic, and possibly by a designer who made the jump from wood to plastic. Or one who makes it look like he did.

This is a very strict definition, and many have a looser one, but it is at least a good starting point.

http://www.antiguaclassics.com/09html/o ... assic.html
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Anything termed "classic" needs to have some sort of lasting, inherently good and universal qualities or values--often in the form of certain aesthetic, pedigreed, or use-type features (i.e. a race-winning car, or a melodious guitar or other instrument, or a boat with a fine design or racing pedigree)--that are appreciated by more, rather than fewer, people as a general rule. Just being old doesn't qualify anything to be classic, and by the same token certain new things can be instant classics by virtue of their appearance or other qualities.

Subjective? To say the least. Does it matter? Not in the least. Around here, we use the term "plastic classic" very loosely and not with any sort of strict definition or criteria. But that doesn't mean everyone here owns a boat that might be universally deemed "classic", and it also doesn't mean that what one's opinion is necessarily shared by others either.

Most people would call boat designs that feature longer overhangs, sweeping, curved sheerlines, and certain other features "classic" designs. If they happen to be made of fiberglass, perhaps one might call them a plastic classic; perhaps not. There are a large number of fiberglass boats that blur the line between modern and classic, and there are some that could never hope to be viewed as classics, but in the end it's a term that has no firm definition and probably means a lot of different things to different people.

One should be happy with their own boat, whatever she may be, for one's own reasons. That's all that matters here. A boat of any sort ought to make her owner turn around for "one last look" at least once upon every departure.

The relatively newly-termed genre of yacht design called "Spirit of the Classics" is perhaps the most apt way to describe many boats of all shapes and sizes that incorporate traditional design features. Are they truly classic? No. But they incorporate those sorts of design elements that one might generically call "classic", and perhaps might one day become classics in their own right.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

I agree with Tim's "one last look" test. I've heard it said, and believe, if you can leave your boat without looking back, it's probably time to sell it.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Ceto
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Ceto »

keelbolts wrote:I agree with Tim's "one last look" test. I've heard it said, and believe, if you can leave your boat without looking back, it's probably time to sell it.
My boat passes the test with flying colors!
Play.

Northstar 500 #67

ceto001.wordpress.com
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

I would just like to add that perhaps some plastic boats should be considered classic simply because they were innovative or ground breaking in their day.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2994

Considering Arion http://www.dmcboats.com/takingshape.htm only one of these was ever built, and virtually no one has heard of her (outside of this august group). There is certainly no denying that her fin keel and balanced rudder were design innovations which are still used on modern glass boats to this day.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

This is not intended to be a universal definition, but just FYI -- for the Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race, they have a "Special Competition" within the PHRF divisions for "Classic Design Yachts," which are defined as follows:
4.3.5 A Classic Design Yacht (CDY) is defined as a yacht designed prior to 1970. Sails must be of cotton, nylon or Dacron or Pentex material and of non-laminar construction.
http://www.marbleheadtohalifax.com/Race ... 9NORv4.pdf

On another tack, I don't know what the magic age is for boats, but I have always understood that for furniture, anything older than 50 years old was considered "antique," and that for automobiles, anything older than 25 years qualified for "antique" license plates.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

These sorts of random qualifications/definitions have always bothered me, in an amusing sort of way. For example, a 1983 Chrysler K-car can now have "antique" plates legally installed. Old? Yes. Antique? Mmm, maybe not. Perhaps one could stretch and call it "classic" only because of its enduring value to the history of the manufacturer, but that doesn't make it something nice or special.

I think we all know that the implication of the word "antique" is one of inherent and long-standing value and quality, far more in depth than simply age. For that matter, many "antique" shops, such as the myriad lining Route 1 in mid-coast Maine, for example, are full not of antiques--which would have enduring value--but simply of old stuff, most of which has little real value for the ages.

Therefore, while most rule-making bodies have little else to use in terms of defining "classic" or "antique" things, it tends to be an arbitrary criterion that more often than not highlights the exceptions, rather than accurately describing anything.

Not all things old are antiques, but something must be old in order to be an antique.

Not all things old are classic. But not all classic things need be old or antique either.

Are we getting any closer to a definition? No. Farther away, perhaps! Oh well, it's something to do.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

I've struggled with this for years.

I agree with this - "To me it is a plastic boat that has many of the lines of a wooden boat."

Which for most means something like this this in wood or plastic or kevlar or Ferro or alum:

And NOT the spade rudder fin keel - with or without Bulb:

Then how does one classify this:

What's old is new again.....
David

Post by David »

Since NG Herreshoff invented the modern catamaran, fin keels, hollow masts, cross cut sails, sail slides, jib hanks, the modern winch, folding propellers, using screws as fasteners, and constructing hulls of advanced material such as bronze and aluminum, I don't think design innovations or the bill of materials for a boat defines it as a classic. Surely the Morris 36 is a classic in every sense of the word. By the same token a brand new Hunter, with swivel lounge chairs, a big screen TV, bendy mast with aft spreaders and that roll bar thing over the cockpit that houses the mainsheet traveler 10 feet in the air will never be considered a classic.

David
Last edited by David on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Wait - They HAVE swivel lounge chairs? That is classic....
David

Post by David »

Right! Matching BarcaLoungers and of course, the classic wet bar.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm selling my boat and buying a minted out K-Car with Swivel Barcalounges and a wet bar in the trunk....

I better stop, I'm starting to laugh at my own posts....:-)