Hanna...

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Hanna...

Post by Zach »

Well... She keeps bouncing between tropical storm and Hurricane. Projected paths keep on looking ever closer to Pylasteki... and I'm getting antsy.

Heading down tomorrow to batten down the hatches, and decide if I'll anchor her out... leave her where she is... or get hauled out and keep on working this weekend.

Bad time to lack a bow cleat! (Grin)

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

That would be tough without a bow cleat!

With the storm moving the way it is, I'm worried we will have lots of surge here on the chesapeake.
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

This is something I know a little bit about. I can tell you with certainty that you do not want the boat on the hard when one of these storms comes through.

The question of whether or not you're better served by a slip or at anchor in a hurricane hole depends on the slip and the hurricane hole that you have.

If you have a really good hurricane hole, then go for it. My experience is that the good ones are often very crowded and, when they get crowded, aren't good anymore. If you do go this route, run out at least two anchors and multiple lines ashore. The problem is that trees can get blown over and anchors can drag.

A slip can be nice as pilings are typically very strong, if they're in good condition and well installed. Run your dock lines to the farthest pilings you can without having your line contact your neighbor's boat. Try to put your boat in the middle of the slip, remember that dock lines will stretch quite a bit under heavy load.

When I tie up a boat for a storm, I try double all bow and stern lines and cross the stern lines to get that much more scope. Run four springs (2 fore and 2 aft). You can harden up on the springs, but leave the bow and stern lines as loose as you can without coming near pilings.

I can't imagine doing this without bow cleats.

If major surge is anticipated, you can extend the height of your pilings by screwing two 2x4's together and attaching them to the piling with threaded rod. Run the rod through the 2x4's and bend it aroud the piling. You can clamp the ends to together or run them through a length of board and attach nuts and washers. This can reduce the chance of getting holed by a piling as the water goes back out.

I know the feeling of an approaching storm and wish you well. It doesn't look like Hanna will be too bad, but if I can give you some non-boating advice: evacuate - it isn't worth staying around for. Also, give serious thought to the things you truly can't do without and bring them with you. Take photos of your house and bring all docs relating to insurance and home ownership with you. If you don't have a copy of your appraisal, call your lender and request they email you a copy. If your area does get pounded, the cell phones probably won't work as your carrier's switches may get knocked out. If this happens, you can often get text messages through when calls won't connect. I would suggest contacting an out of state relative that they can relay everyone's condition, that way you only have to reach one person to say all's well and find out who may need help.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

I'm currently at the Inner Harbor Marine Center in Baltimore and the remnants of Hanna just went by. The Wind was up for a couple of hours between noon and 1400 and there has been rain all day but both have ceased recently. Spent most of the day arranging things inside and watching the blow. All in all, not the worst I've ever experienced, but I was glad to be in a protected location.

You wouldn't believe the size of some of the boats Hanna chased in here. I may be the smallest boat here. :)

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Zach

Post by Zach »

Thanks guys!

Called around... couldn't have gotten hauled out if I wanted to. All the yards are jammed for the next 2-3 weeks with guys not wanting to take any chances.

It was pretty anti-climatic. Spent a lot of time in the rain tying up the boats around Pylasteki... the 83 foot coastguard cutter I've been working on, and making a spider web of 1 inch nylon all over creation. She is in a little nook at the boat yard in front of the cutter, and wedged in beside a big barge. Figured out that the stern anchor on the barge blocked my path out... without risking ripping off my rudder. Steel cable rode!

Reinstalled my bow cleat and figured out how to run doubles of everything, and add a few spring lines. I'm really liking butyl rubber or dolphinite that was used on this thing, really sticky and holds on to bolts to keep them from spinning.

Both boats did fine, didn't get a whole lot of rain... but the ocean was white with froth and foam. Way more white than a North Easter. Never seen it like that before. The 83 footer stretched out all 7 of the lines I put on her port side bar taught...

Pylasteki was rocking and rolling around bobbing like a cork compared to everything else. Really makes her look small!

Called it quits around sunset friday, went back and watched the weather channel... If you guys saw all the folks at Atlantic beach hanging out in the background... I wasn't one of em! (Grin) Yeehaw... welcome to NC. (Grin)

I drove around some of the big boat yards down there... amazing the quantity and size of massive powerboats. Always forget how big they are when out of the water!

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/