Electra Transpac

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Electra Transpac

Post by Ganges #363 »

The Singlehanded Transpac, from SF Bay to Hawaii, is in it's final stages. There's a guy in the race sailing a Pearson Electra named 'Sparky'. He was dismasted a couple of days ago about 670 miles short of the finish, and is now under jury rig making 2-3 knots.

There's a story in Latitude 38 that refers to him:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lec ... 146#Story3

I saw Sparky hauled out in Berkeley as she was being prepared for the race. Even seeing her hauled out, it was hard to visualize her doing the Pacific. But it seems she will complete successfully. You can follow the link in the Lat38 story to the Singlehanded Society web site, read the individual logs of the racers and get more information.

There's also a Cal20 in the race. It suffered a broken rudder, but a replacement was on board. The beauty of an outboard rudder.

Bill
Ganges #363
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Thanks for the heads up on this!

I wonder if Sparky was rolled which would explain the dismasting...still, a pretty gutsy attempt!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

It doesn't sound like Sparky was rolled from reading Ruben's log on the SHTP page. Here's what his shore contact had to say for "his" portion of the log:
From Ruben's shore contact, Robbie:
Ruben flies his spinnaker and hand steers from the am, to the pm check-in, then puts up the twins at night. He's done this daily from the first day he was downwind. Today he decided to take a break and put up twin head sails during the day. In the early afternoon he hoisted and reefed his mainsail (in addition to the twins) to increase his speed. At about 11:45am, pacific time there was a gust of wind, he rounded up, and the mast broke 2 to 3 feet above the boom gooseneck. Fortunately there were no holes in the boat or in Ruben. It took him several hours to retrieve the mast and rigging from the water.

After spending time bobbing around, he's managed to use the bottom portion of the mast and the lower shrouds, forestay, and a halyard on the stern to jury rig a new mast. Using his jib, he's able to steer a steady course going between 1.8 and 3.5 knots.

He said the mess on his boat is unbelievable and is doing his best to clean it up. He's tired, but now with the new rig he's feeling better.

You can find this, and more, here. There are logs from other racers, plus more on Sparky's jury rig (I have a friend racing so I've been watching it all closely):

http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transp ... r/log.html

Rachel
Ganges #363

Electra Transpac

Post by Ganges #363 »

Ruben has refined his jury rig and increased his speed. Sounds like he's really enjoying himself. You can read the most recent news by following the link Rachel provided.

By the way Rachel, which one of the racers are you following?

Bill
Ganges #363
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Eric Nelson, who sailed the Olson 30 "Polar Bear" is a friend of mine and an all-around nice fellow. It was his first race on salt water, and he did us Great Lakers proud :D

(He trailered his boat out to California.)

Go Sparky!
Ganges #363

Electra Transpac

Post by Ganges #363 »

Rachel,

Eric did real well. I especially enjoyed these lines from his post finish log:

"Everyone has been generous with advice and support. It makes one realize that Northern California really is just a little slice of Minnesota! Now if only we could explain where the Great Lakes are located!"

No recent reports from Sparky, and two boats are listed as 'unreported'. The story's not over.

Bill
Ganges #363
Ganges #363

Electra Transpac

Post by Ganges #363 »

Rachel,

Lectronic Latitude has a great picture of your friend Eric and Polar Bear finishing in Hawaii:

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lec ... &dayid=148

No log update from Sparky, but the position report says he's becalmed.

Bill
Ganges #363
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Surf's up!

Not bad form for a Minnesotan :D
Ganges #363

Electra Transpac

Post by Ganges #363 »

Ruben and Sparky have arrived safely in Hawaii under successful jury rig. Anyone interested in more on the story can follow the link Rachel provided above.

A real achievement for Ruben.

Bill
Ganges #363
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Good for him! It's been a fun race to follow, and it seems to have a real "nice and friendly team" feeling to it. I'm SO not a racer but it made me want to do this one.

R.