The Other Side of The Coin

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

The Other Side of The Coin

Post by feetup »

I spent most of a two hour ferry ride yesterday sitting beside a very pleasant and articulate gentleman who as it turns out owns a boat yard/marina. We talked at length about the sometimes uneasy relationship between boat yards and boat owners. I spoke of all the tales of woe I have read of and heard of where boat owners seem to be held at ransom. He countered with a view I hadn't really understood before, but am beginning to see more clearly.
It seems that the deep secret is out. Boat owners are often very cheap.
When faced with the reality of the situation, I understand why the 100 foot motor yacht with the mirror-like topsides and permanent professional crew will get preference over my 25 foot 27 year old overniter. Quite simply, the big expensive boat's don't bounce cheques or snivel about the cost of a repair. The owner is somewhere else earning money anyway!
The cost of owning a piece of prime waterfront combined with the continued cost of manitaining a safe, clean buisiness, and paying the lawyers and accountants who are a part of it all just doesn't leave room to chase after every second $1000 that is owed to you.
If what this man said is true, cruisers are the worst, and he pretty much has to take a lien on the boat to get paid, 8 times out of ten.
I have seen the light! Boat yard owners aren't always the bad guy!

Feetup
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

We've discussed some of this in the past... and in general, what you say is true.

But stereotypes aren't always helpful.

I really hate when the yards assume that everyone with a 30 y.o 30 footer is a grotty yachtie and treat them accordingly. OR they try and recoup their losses by grossly overcharging or underperforming a certain job.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

While I understand this guy's point, I don't accept his explanation in an overall sense because every yard has the option to decline taking on work they don't really want.

If they want to cater to the big guys, fine. Just don't take the little guy's job and then treat him/her poorly because that job won't make them as much money. If a yard takes the 25-foot job, then they should be prepared to handle it with the same professionalism and fairness as the 100-foot job. Or else don't take the job, period.

Treat every customer the same (i.e. well and fairly) and it's good for everybody, both short-term and long-term. When people or businesses play favorites, however much they try to justify it, it's just poor business, and I think it's a major problem, not just in the boating world but in general today.

None of this excuses people from any walk of life who don't pay their bills in a timely manner. Dealing with these unseemly sorts is part of running any business at one time or another, however unsavory it is. Sometimes the customers' complaints have actual merit, and other times they're just being cheap. But if a yard continually gets complaints from people about their practices, perhaps they ought to look within for the problem, rather than blaming the customer.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

Well said Tim;

Some how I knew you would hold that opinion. It shows in your work, and it shows in the other posts you write.
In my experience with people I have found that the ones who are very careful and precice in the work they do are often the ones who are straight shooters when it comes inter-personal dealings. You just happen to have talent as well.

Feetup
triton #227
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by triton #227 »

The yard I have my boat in caters to boats under 35 feet. I have no complaints, as long as you pay the rent They leave you alone and don't try to sell you all kinds of services. Real nice staff to, will do any thing to help you out when you need it.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Tim wrote:While I understand this guy's point, I don't accept his explanation in an overall sense because every yard has the option to decline taking on work they don't really want.

If they want to cater to the big guys, fine. Just don't take the little guy's job and then treat him/her poorly because that job won't make them as much money. If a yard takes the 25-foot job, then they should be prepared to handle it with the same professionalism and fairness as the 100-foot job. Or else don't take the job, period.

Treat every customer the same (i.e. well and fairly) and it's good for everybody, both short-term and long-term. When people or businesses play favorites, however much they try to justify it, it's just poor business, and I think it's a major problem, not just in the boating world but in general today.

None of this excuses people from any walk of life who don't pay their bills in a timely manner. Dealing with these unseemly sorts is part of running any business at one time or another, however unsavory it is. Sometimes the customers' complaints have actual merit, and other times they're just being cheap. But if a yard continually gets complaints from people about their practices, perhaps they ought to look within for the problem, rather than blaming the customer.
That says it all in my book. I find it quite rare to experience this type of quality and pride in one's work. Tim exudes it with everything he does. I can't possible imagine a conversion project at a "typical" boatyard. Makes my head spin just thinking about it.

Although with this "attitude" Tim's Sailing to Work ratio may be in trouble.