Back to Amateur status!!!!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Back to Amateur status!!!!

Post by heartofgold »

After a nearly 2 year foray into the professional world of boat repair and restoration (following Hurricane Ivan), I am retiring from my paid position in the yard and I am once again restoring vessels as an amatueur. Man...this feels good.

So, after this long being away from the group (no computer access in the yard...), have I missed anything?
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Well, we missed you!

Same old stuff, boat is broke, bank account is broke, try to finish a simple job and the next thing you know the boat has been gutted...

-Britton
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Back to Amateur status!!!!

Post by Rachel »

Heart of Gold! Great to have you back :-)

I'm in the same situation you were. I work at a boatyard but haven't gotten to do personal boat work at all. It's like working in a candy store and not being able to eat sweets.
heartofgold wrote:... have I missed anything?
That made me laugh. It reminded me of being in school and when - having missed a couple of weeks - a student would ask the teacher "Did I miss anything?" Of course they always got all huffy because that insinuated that two weeks of Really Important Information wasn't really a big problem to miss. Heh.

That being said, Britton has probably covered it pretty well.

A look through "Boat Photos" and "Ramblings" would give you a diverse overview ;-)

--- Rachel
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Doug, glad you're back. Britton hit the nail on the head.

At the beginning of the week, I was simply thinking of ripping out the ice box and building a top loader.... today, Friday, I am thinking of ripping out the entire galley and building a mid-ship galley including a top loader that would also function as the nav table.

I put a sledge hammer and the saws-all in my truck last night.....

I gotta stay away from those MIR pages, I get all sorts of big ideas over there.....:-D
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Well let me ask you all this...did anyone else keep their boat high and dry this year, or was it just me.

And where can I find updates on Tim's new place (ok, new to me--I really have been that out of touch!)
Doug
Karen Blixen
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

My boat stayed dry this year and will probably be dry next year too. After that it is going to be Bahamas Baby!!

Tim posted that link somewhere around here...

Can we expect some project updates on your website soon?

-Britton
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Yea, I need to do some updates. I made some headway last winter, but work in the yard decreased my motivation to dive into my own boat after hours (hence my joy at returning to amateur status).

I have also been distracted with other things here. I am an active Boy Scouter, and I have just undertaken the task of reviving the Sea Scout program locally. We are about to start up 3 new units, so obviously, that has kept me busy.
Doug
Karen Blixen