Our Winter Worklists

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Our Winter Worklists

Post by Figment »

It's amazing how quickly and thoroughly the mind can change gears. In the two days since I learned of the impending haulout, my mind has been churning out all kinds of winter-work items. Much depends on the indoor vs. outdoor storage question, but so far my loose list includes:

1 Build a new foredeck hatch. existing one is just fugly. Or I may just build a wooden recess for a manufactured unit.
2 FINALLY convert the cockpit seats to hinged lockers. (this may or may not include the "daysailing icebox" idea)
3 Basically convert the bulk of the cockpit floor into one huge access hatch (must figure out how to accommodate shifting the A4 gears if that existing mechanism must go away.)
4 Replace coamings. The splits have made alarming progress.
5 Wooden toerail. Only possible with indoor storage, I think.
6 (re)install foredeck cowl vent and/or hawse pipe. Might as well find bow chocks while I'm at it.
7 replace long-demolished concealment panel behind the head. Even I'm getting tired of looking at the plumbing.
8 Replace engine fuel delivery system. Everything between the tank and the manifold.
9 Establish valve and filter center (like Britton's) in companionway step and relocate batteries either to the "hanging locker" or to portside, aft of icebox.
10 WATERLIFT EXHAUST.
11 Build hinged mounting panel for VHF, GPS, Sailing instruments.
12 oh yeah.... purchase and install the instrument package I've been wanting since day one. Even a simple depthsounder would be immeasurably reassuring.
13 Backstay adjuster.
14 Touchup transom paint where my idiot brother gouged it with an oarlock.
15 Apply name and port of call on transom.
16 Rig outhaul so it actually works.
17 Install bail on boom for vang. the lashing is cool and all, but enough already.
18 New boarding ladder.
19 New rudder
20 Raise waterline/bootstripe a couple of inches.
21 Laminate a new tiller. 4" longer, and beefier in the hand.

That's just off the top of my head, in no particular order. The smart money bets that maybe 4 of those items actually happen.

I'm getting a jump on it this year, though. I just gave my sailmaker a deposit so he can measure for the new 150! PSYCHED!!!!

Maybe it'll be totally depressing to start talking about winter already, but maybe it'll be like group therapy. What do YOU want to get done this winter??
Last edited by Figment on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Current list, in approximate order of importance.

1. Get a grip on my varnish situation.
2. Finish paint repair at bow.
3. Replace anchor platform.
4. Restrike and paint boot.
5. Install Lavac
6. Lazy Jacks
7. Install sanitation system.
8. Additonal water tankage opposite head tankage.
9. Finish v-berth (Fix and trim out headliner, new cypress or maple ceiling, beadboard on bulkheads, new anchor-locker door, new shelving/lockers, new cushions.)
10. Mark all anchor rodes for length.

That's what comes immediately to mind. I'm sure there'll be other things desired. As far as what actually gets done, well that's a different issue. Cash flow will be really tight this year, as Heather will be studying for the bar rather than working next summer so we'll have even less income than usual!
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Remove all hardware and fittings from the deck, recore portions of the deck, fill all extraneous holes, fair, paint, and non-skid (I'm leaning towards UltraTuff or Durabak, as my boat is a sailing machine;-), replace and re-bed hardware and fittings; as part of the above, design, fabricate (or have fabricated) some new fittings such as bow anchor roller platform thingy, lifeline gate stanchions, etc, and send one of my two compasses out for servicing, service all ten winches, etc...; Re-bed all thru-hulls, replace 3 frozen gate valves with something better, perhaps re-locate some thru-hulls and fill old openings, including openings for old instrument transducers no longer needed; Also, re-fasten and re-bed propellor support strut, replace stuffing box hose, polish propellor shaft, replace cutlass bearing, have propellor re-furbished by maker, etc.. (assuming that I can get the coupling off the front end of the shaft); Redesign and Rebuild Waste Plumbing and Holding Tank arrangements in Head, with new Lavac toilet; Redesign and Rebuild Galley area and Engine Box; Install additional fuel and water tankage, redesign fuel filtering system; Consider swapping engines (I have a spare engine on hand ready to drop in place); Drop Rudder to inspect rudder shaft and bearings, dry out and re-seal rudder, rebuild bearings and rudder shaft as necessary; Drop Keel to inspect keel bolts and re-bed keel-hull joint; Additional Sail and Rig modifications such as adding slugs on the luff of the mainsail, adding another reef point or two to the mainsail, designing, fabricating and installing structure in the foscle to support a planned removable inner forestay, make up inner forestay and cut a sail down to fit, etc...

Oh, and don't forget, I've got to take my "tent" down, too.

I'm aiming to get my boat back into the water by then end of June 2007 (FWIW, the Marblehead to Halifax race starts July 8...;-) It is unlikely that all of these projects will be done by then, but that's OK as long as the water stays on the outside of the boat and the rig stays up.

Regards,
Last edited by catamount on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

and non-skid (I'm leaning towards UltraTuff or Durabak, as my boat is a sailing machine;-)
Have you seen Kiwi Grip? I know a guy who just used it on his J-30. Looked pretty good, but don't know much else about it.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
catamount

Post by catamount »

Summersdawn wrote:Have you seen Kiwi Grip? I know a guy who just used it on his J-30. Looked pretty good, but don't know much else about it.
Thanks for the tip on KiwiGrip, Rick -- here's the link I found for it: http://www.pachena.com/index.html Looks like good stuff, I'll have to investigate further!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

It looked very easy to apply, and it completely covered the existing non-skid. Perfect if you don't want to grind off the existing stuff.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Figment

Post by Figment »

catamount wrote:(FWIW, the Marblehead to Halifax race starts July 8...;-)
Crew list!!!!

(gotta put me on the snoring watch, though)
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:Crew list!!!!
Ditto!

An all Plastic Classic Forum crew?
Figment

Post by Figment »

Will we be able to make it all the way to Halifax without compulsively recoring something or rebedding hardware??
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:An all Plastic Classic Forum crew?
Now, there's an interesting thought!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim

Post by Tim »

catamount wrote:
Summersdawn wrote:Have you seen Kiwi Grip? I know a guy who just used it on his J-30. Looked pretty good, but don't know much else about it.
Thanks for the tip on KiwiGrip, Rick -- here's the link I found for it: http://www.pachena.com/index.html Looks like good stuff, I'll have to investigate further!
Whether the product is any good or not, they get extra credit for the photo on their homepage!

Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Will we be able to make it all the way to Halifax without compulsively recoring something or rebedding hardware??
I think I could manage. Maybe.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

Back to the topic at hand:

Glissando's winter worklist is pretty minimal at this point. I'm sure other things will come up.

1. Renew all on-deck varnish. A year off has been dreadful to my brightwork, and it needs serious help now. It's entirely embarrassing, in fact.

2. Repair anchor platform slightly damaged in 2005's early season storm

3. Relacquer port frames (always)

4. Build, or have built, a reasonable version of a hydraulic trailer to get boats in and out of my shop on my own. This may be necessary first in order to accomplish #1 above, so I've included it in this list.

5. Go through all the gear that I removed and boxed last year and remove unnecessary items.

6. Replace foam in cockpit cushions.

7. I'd love a new genoa, but it's not happening for next year.

8. Change the hailport on the transom.

9. Find a new place to moor the boat now that we've moved.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Well, I would like to finish the stuff I started last winter. At the moment I am where I thought I would be last March. Oh well.

Realistically I am looking at:

Replace all standing rigging.
Fabricate new under-cockpit fuel tank.
Fabricate new engine controls.
Fabricate engine instrument panel.
Fabricate engine electrical switch box.

Before winter I still hope to:
Finish all plumbing.
Finish insulation.
Paint overhead.
Push interior construction forward.

Funny how lists of to-do projects really get a response from the forum.

I am up for Halifax.

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:Back to the topic at hand:

4. Build, or have built, a reasonable version of a hydraulic trailer to get boats in and out of my shop on my own. This may be necessary first in order to accomplish #1 above, so I've included it in this list.
Hmm. That could certainly help Dasein with nos. 1, 2, and 4.

;-D
The Good Goose

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim
What harbors are you considering? I used to keep my boat at Spruce Head. I go every summer to Friendship Long Island. Are you looking for a full service type place? Just looked on the map to see where Whitefield was. Didn't realize it was so close to my old haunts. I really like Muscongus bay. lots of protected anchorages Not too far to get out into the gulf of Maine. Friendship is a nice working harbor there is a fuel dock but not much else. The dinghy dock is ridiculously crowded but I think that is the case at all the town docks. Boy it would be fun to see your boat there.

Brock
Tim

Post by Tim »

The Good Goose wrote:Tim
What harbors are you considering? I used to keep my boat at Spruce Head. I go every summer to Friendship Long Island. Are you looking for a full service type place? Just looked on the map to see where Whitefield was. Didn't realize it was so close to my old haunts. I really like Muscongus bay. lots of protected anchorages Not too far to get out into the gulf of Maine. Friendship is a nice working harbor there is a fuel dock but not much else. The dinghy dock is ridiculously crowded but I think that is the case at all the town docks. Boy it would be fun to see your boat there.

Brock
Friendship is a working harbor, all right...and perhaps the most un-aptly named place on the coast. The working boats and captains there tend to be hostile towards "yachts", in my experience.

I don't need, nor want, full service, though I would like somewhere relatively close by where I can launch and step.

Right now, the frontrunner is Northport/Bayside, just SE of Belfast. There's nothing there except a dock and a $40/year "yacht club". Belfast is still a possibility, though the new moorings have to go so far out away from the dinghy dock, and, perhaps worse, there are changes afoot on the waterfront that are going to "yuppie-ize" the place and change what I currently like about it. (Changes: turn old sardine plant into expensive waterfront condos, with Wayfarer Marine on the waterfront. What I like currently: there is none of this stuff there.)

I need to call the mooring guy at Northport. I've been putting it off all summer.
The Good Goose

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim
I did a job at bayside one summer on a cottage there and kept my boat in the harbor. It was a really pretty spot.

I think that if you kept your boat in the harbor you would find friendship pretty nice. I kept mine there awhile and got to know a couple of lobstermen and never had any trouble at all. I ran aground just outside the harbor ;I had no engine on this particular boat , and drifted onto a mud bank A lobsterman came right over and pulled me off without being asked. As it is anywhere there were a couple jerks who really went out of there way to promote ill will. The worst one of these lost his boat and is in jail last I heard.

I sat on the dock one day and watched a sail boat motor twoard the fuel dock hit a pot bouy and cut the line. They then proceeded to cut in front of a Lobster boat waiting to fuel up after a long day at work. This boat cost someone 100.00 worth of gear, made somebody elses wait longer and then the people on the boat complained to me about how unfriendly the place was. I had to contain myself to not just throw the dock line I had taken back to them. There are always several sailboats moored in the harbor including a beautiful Maroon aeileron(sp?). I have never heard of any trouble happening to them. I did an addition out on long island one summer and have been going there for over 20 years. I would say my interactions in the harbor have been largely positive.

Brock
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

reverse commute

Post by jollyboat »

Just when you are all thinking of hauling your boats and winter projects, I am finally about to go into the water. JOLLYBOAT got a fresh Alwgrip job yesterday (flag blue) and the bearier coat is near completion. The rudder has also been rebuilt. JOLLYBOAT will hit the water nearly 750 lbs+ lighter and with new sails. There is a ton of work to do on deck and down below but that will not stop a good sail on a balmy fall or winter day. With this said, Western Long Island Sound is quite tropical compaired to my northern friends.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Re the Duraback: watchout! A guy on our dock did his C&C 35 with it and while it is VERY good at being non-skid, it also won't let the dirt slide away. The sections he did in white are now varying shades of grey. You've been warned!

List for this winter:

1. replace fuel tank
2. replace fuel delivery system
3. install serpentine belt system on engine so I don't have to tighten alternator belt before every trip!
4. relocate batteries behind engine/waterlift
5. new engine mounts for the Perkins 4-108
6. new exhaust hose
7. relocate engine controls to pedestal
8. new VDO engine instruments
9. finish shower sump system
10. fix portside water tank spigot
11. repair blisters
12. install new stanchions
13. install 6 new opening portlights if I ever buy them.
14. stop leaks in existing fixed portlights
15. refinish toe rail
16. find a job that will pay for all this AND allow me to work on it at the same time!
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

CC - I like #16 - find a job that will allow . . . when find that job let us all know so we can apply too! (grins)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Figment

Post by Figment »

damn, and some guy on ebay was just selling 6 (salvaged) bronze rectangular opening portlights last week!

I think the Katrina-salvage stuff is finally starting to hit the market.
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Ceasar Choppy,
Sounds like you're going to have a busy winter. I had to check your location. I figured, with a list like yours, you must live in Maine or somewhere else with a long winter, but Maryland... You better get started... Good luck.
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

keelbolts wrote:Ceasar Choppy,
Sounds like you're going to have a busy winter. I had to check your location. I figured, with a list like yours, you must live in Maine or somewhere else with a long winter, but Maryland... You better get started... Good luck.
He he... yeah, by spring it usually comes down to: "What do I need to do to just get back in the water?" Then I spend the rest of the year trying to finish the list in between sailing time.

And at least this list isn't nearly as long as when I first got the boat!
Last edited by Ceasar Choppy on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Figment wrote:damn, and some guy on ebay was just selling 6 (salvaged) bronze rectangular opening portlights last week!

I think the Katrina-salvage stuff is finally starting to hit the market.
Would be nice to see... All I've heard is that they are trashing the boats without salvaging anything off of them. But when I do see salvaged stuff, it is usually $$$.
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Let's see---

-frame lazarette hatch and repair poop deck

-replace weak cockpit sole and damaged settee fronts

-build new engine beds and rough-in engine

-continue tank installation and vberth rebuild

-complete deck fairing

-construct new chainplate knees in vberth

-rubrails

I'll be lucky to get 1/4 of this stuff completed over the winter.

Joe
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Splash boat in September

Check over rig/ possibly try to use a gin pole/ make changes as needed

Sand, prep and paint interior locker and interior daggy-bits that might make it back into the boat. The doors will not!

Sand, prep and paint interior (hire out day labor - yes!)

Fabricate veritical mast support beam for temporary additional support to cracked mast support beam (*simple 4"x4" with a bridge jack coupled on for height adjustment)

Finish seweing new cushion covers

fabricate new tiller handle (with a little from my friends)

Continue fussing about with exterior deck and trunk as I can on better weather days.

Major interior changes -

Ice box removed and will not be reinstalled

Galley locker and sink removed and will not be replaced

Marine toilet removed and will not be replaced (if ya gotta go - go home or go bucket!)

Fuel tank removed and will not be replaced any time soon

Atomic Bomb and associated gear removed permenantly (less 505 lbs -thank you:)

From here there are a ton of items still in the air - who knows where they fall.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
cfretz
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by cfretz »

we are still racing through the end of october but i have a list. Half of this is left over from last year.

mariner

repaint topsides and bootstripe
new jib tracks and cars
wood veneer on transom
teak floor in cockpit
reinforce rudder hardware
prep inside of cabin and recoat with gelcoat
move bow cleat
redo bow eye
fair bottom and polish
new main sheet
new cockpit cover

scow

recore deck
remove all hardware
cut and finish stern deck
gelcoat on inside and deck
fair hull prime and paint
tiller extension
new bunks on trailer
new full canvas cover
wet sand and polish boards and rudders
newer mainsail

these are 2 small race boats. I keep thinking that 1 year i'm not going to have to do anything but that isnt this year. there is also an old wood powerboat that i would love to see in the water but i love sailing so the spoiled boats get all my attention 1st.

I hope you all had as good a sailing season as i did.
Chris Fretz
Mariner #3446
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

You know, these lists promise some good winter reading here on the forum. There are several listed projects I am interested in seeing.

So Jollyboat, are you planning on an empty interior? I thought ripping stuff out was the first step in a new interior but it sounds like ripping stuff out is your final step. Looking for a racing interior perhaps?

-Britton
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Howdy Britton -

Yeah, no real interior for Jollyboat - I leave the v-berth and the salon benches but everything else is out. I am considering building a 'casette type' galley locker that I can install and remove, but that may be several winter projects from now. Even with this more sparten approach the boat is very comfortable down below. When I am not racing I do keep cushions aboard. With the salon bench backs, ice box, and gally removed the salon benches are very long and much wider. It is very nice to be able to just flop down and stretch out. I never keep the boat stocked with much beyond safety equipment so I do not have much call for 'storage'. Most gear that is aboard are per sail items that come and go. I will admit that in the past I have used a 4' X 30' float between my bow and stern moorings in the river which affords me ample room for dock boxes to store items that would otherwise be stored on the boat. This makes my uber sparten methods tolerable. I have seriously considered removing the V -birth but for now I am leaving well enough alone. I finally have a decent paint job on the topsides. I had to spray the boat three times to achieve the finish. (cursing all the way) I am not quite the nautical gun slinger I once was - Yesterday morning I painted the waterline and no sooner did I finish, it started raining and pretty much ruined the job. Its been this way the whole time. Thank goodness for rum!
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Figment

Post by Figment »

I'm in a really weird groove. I have this long list of projects to get started, I've actually made a lot more progress so far than I would have predicted, yet I'm oscillating pretty violently between motivation and hesitation.

I'm quite motivated to get going on all of these things ASAP so that I don't let the fall and early winter pass me by only to yet again find myself with more work than time in the spring, and yet again miss my launch date. Thus far I've been quite successful in this regard.

I'm hesitant because I don't want to pull the trigger on too many items too early. I don't want to initiate more work than I can execute and yet again miss out on the good spring sailing. So far I've triggered 6 of my 21 list items. I don't suppose it's coincidental that these are all the items that require more time than money.

I'm sure that I'll find a balance (or, more accurately, that a balance will find me) eventually but for now I'm floundering.
Tim

Post by Tim »

If not now, when?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Next year?
Figment

Post by Figment »

I just took a most unexpected phone call. Launch date is set.

I have fourteen weeks. GAH!!!!!!

I've been out for thirteen. I should, therefore, be roughly halfway through my mythical list. yikes.
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Figment wrote:I'm hesitant because I don't want to pull the trigger on too many items too early.
I see you were successful in avoiding the trap of getting too much out of the way too early. Congratulations! Now get back to work.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

... I should, therefore, be roughly halfway through my mythical list. yikes.
Welcome to my world :-)

As my last boss you used mutter as he walked away shaking his head, "Some days all you can do is keep pushing the ball forward. Just keep moving towards the goal and eventually it will be done".

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

"A boat isn't done until it sinks"

So no matter when you start, or how much you work once you do, you will never finish before launching anyway!

I like to start as soon as I haul out. The projects don't seem nearly as big when you can pace your work. Factor in that you will likely uncover somethng you hadn't expected that requires supplies you haven't located yet and the added time pays off.

- build a sailing dinghy
- make new cushions ( hiring out the sewing)
- sub out a new dodger
- upgrade electrical
- varnish
- paint boom
- sand and paint bottom
- sand and paint ice box interior (water based Awlgrip)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I don't have the boat cover on yet. We inherited one with the boat and I went down on Saturday to put it on - what a monstrosity, all heavy gauge pipe with bent connectors, bolt heads sticking out to gouge my gelcoat and metal pushing through the rubber tips to do the same. Plus it is "engineered" for mast down storage and my mast is up.

So I jury rigged something with the pieces I had, wasn't really comfortable but it was solid. Then I unwrapped the cover.

The cover was a white plastic material with horizontal and vertical stitching through it in a criss cross pattern and eyelets around the edges. Panels were stitched and glued together. Well :

1. The glue was all delaminated - yellow and flaky
2. It smelled like a New York back alley inside
3. It was mouldy
4. There were dead mice in it

So I took the frame back down and both frame and cover went in the dumpster. I purchased $100 of schedule 40 1/2" pipe and connectors last night and 2 good quality tarps. I'll try again next weekend.

The reason I mention it here is that my wife jokes it will be April and I'll be chasing the travel-lift shouting "No, wait, I haven't got the winter cover on yet !".
Last edited by Mark.Wilme on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
catamount

Post by catamount »

* Remove all hardware and fittings from the deck -- basically done.

* recore portions of the deck, fill all extraneous holes -- well underway, but a lot to do still!

* fair, paint, and non-skid -- not done, need to finish above first

* replace and re-bed hardware and fittings -- not done, need to finish above first

* as part of the above, design, fabricate (or have fabricated) some new fittings such as bow anchor roller platform thingy -- will be meeting with my rigger/fabricator later this month to move forward on this; projects will include new stay chainplates, inner forestay hardware, lifelines, etc....

* send one of my two compasses out for servicing -- done, compass guy will be sending it back tomorrow

* service all ten winches -- it hasn't been cold enough for inside work yet! ;-)

* Re-bed all thru-hulls, replace 3 frozen gate valves with something better, perhaps re-locate some thru-hulls and fill old openings, including openings for old instrument transducers no longer needed -- just started working on this!

* re-fasten and re-bed propellor support strut, replace stuffing box hose, polish propellor shaft, replace cutlass bearing -- still struggling to get shaft out of coupler! :-(

* have propellor re-furbished by maker -- done! (nice and shiny)

* Redesign and Rebuild Waste Plumbing and Holding Tank arrangements in Head, with new Lavac toilet -- all old head plumbing has been pulled out, almost ready for new stuff (waiting on relocation of thru-hulls per above; then will build new holding tank, etc...).

* Redesign and Rebuild Galley area and Engine Box -- uh, yeah, right....

* Install additional fuel and water tankage, redesign fuel filtering system -- I pulled my existing fuel tank and fuel plumbing out, will clean tank and re-install, have investigated options for additional fuel tankage. Just for example, the Marion-Bermuda race guidelines call for sufficient fuel in permanently installed tanks to motor 250 miles. I get around 10 to 12 miles per gallon, so I need to double my 12 gallons of fuel tankage to meet this standard. Haven't thought about water tankage yet...

* Consider swapping engines (I have a spare engine on hand ready to drop in place) -- I'm not at that point, yet

* Drop Rudder to inspect rudder shaft and bearings -- done, at least part way.

* dry out and re-seal rudder, rebuild bearings and rudder shaft as necessary -- um, haven't done anything with the rudder yet. I did read about using graphite-filled epoxy to fill out your fiberglass rudder shaft tube, making the whole thing one big bearing, and realized that that has already been done to my boat! So I'll just clean everything up, and shove it back up in there and be done with it (I hope ;-)

* Drop Keel to inspect keel bolts and re-bed keel-hull joint -- don't think that's going to happen

* Additional Sail and Rig modifications such as adding slugs on the luff of the mainsail, adding another reef point or two to the mainsail -- it hasn't been cold enough for inside work yet! ;-)

* designing, fabricating and installing structure in the foscle to support a planned removable inner forestay, make up inner forestay and cut a sail down to fit, etc... -- see above about meeting with my rigger later this month

* I'm aiming to get my boat back into the water by then end of June 2007 -- still my goal! So that's about 5.5 months left. Boat arrived home in late August, about 4.5 months ago.... Not quite half-way yet!

* FWIW, the Marblehead to Halifax race starts July 8...;-) -- yeah, that would be fun, but I'm not sure it's all that realistic....

A couple of other projects accomplished so far include sorting out my old Autohelm ST50 Instruments and getting them to work again (I think) -- with some buying and selling on eBay, of course -- and installing my Cozy Cabin D/K heater. I'll be taking my bow pulpit to a welder to have intermediate rails added, and will have some minor welding done on the stern pushpit and tiller as well.

Other projects added to the list include possibly fairing the keel and then putting new bottom paint, wet-sanded and burnished to a hard fast finish. Maybe I'll paint my keel and rudder orange (or yellow, with a blue bottom, existing dark (black?) boot stripe, and my old gray topsides...?)!

Regards,
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:As my last boss you used mutter as he walked away shaking his head, "Some days all you can do is keep pushing the ball forward. Just keep moving towards the goal and eventually it will be done".
Your old boss was a wise man.

This is great advice. It's all too easy to become overwhelmed and bogged down by seemingly endless project lists, and by overfocusing on the minutiae of each possible decision.

Just take one day at a time, plug away, and focus on the task at hand, as well as simply focusing on actually working. Forget the enormity of the entire list and just work. It all has to be done; as long as you're doing something, you're making progress towards the "end".
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

Well stated Tim

Buy, replace, restore, sail, restore, fix, replace, improve, sail.....move up.

Thats why were all here, to keep em alive.

JP
Figment

Post by Figment »

The initial moment of alarm passed pretty quickly. I have time, I just need to use it effectively.

Good idea, Tim. Time for a status-check of the mythical list.

1 Build a new foredeck hatch. existing one is just fugly. Or I may just build a wooden recess for a manufactured unit. not initiated.
2 FINALLY convert the cockpit seats to hinged lockers. (this may or may not include the "daysailing icebox" idea) 30% complete, all but certain to be finished before launch.
3 Basically convert the bulk of the cockpit floor into one huge access hatch (must figure out how to accommodate shifting the A4 gears if that existing mechanism must go away.) not initiated.
4 Replace coamings. The splits have made alarming progress. removed, not replaced.
5 Wooden toerail. Only possible with indoor storage, I think. Not initiated.
6 (re)install foredeck cowl vent and/or hawse pipe. Might as well find bow chocks while I'm at it. not initiated.
7 replace long-demolished concealment panel behind the head. Even I'm getting tired of looking at the plumbing. not initiated
8 Replace engine fuel delivery system. Everything between the tank and the manifold. 80% complete, now including tank.
9 Establish valve and filter center (like Britton's) in companionway step and relocate batteries either to the "hanging locker" or to portside, aft of icebox. not initiated.
10 WATERLIFT EXHAUST. 60% complete.
11 Build hinged mounting panel for VHF, GPS, Sailing instruments. Designed. mockup underway.
12 oh yeah.... purchase and install the instrument package I've been wanting since day one. Even a simple depthsounder would be immeasurably reassuring. DONE.
13 Backstay adjuster. Tackle fabricated. Must shorten backstay to accommodate.
14 Touchup transom paint where my idiot brother gouged it with an oarlock. Faired and primed.
15 Apply name and port of call on transom. not initiated.
16 Rig outhaul so it actually works. DONE
17 Install bail on boom for vang. the lashing is cool and all, but enough already. DONE
18 New boarding ladder. Obtained mahogany ladder. Must adapt.
19 New rudder yeah, right.
20 Raise waterline/bootstripe a couple of inches. Not initiated, waitiing for spring painting weather.
21 Laminate a new tiller. 4" longer, and beefier in the hand. Rough mockup done. Must refine and replicate.

So that's 3 of 21 in the DONE category, one of which was all about the checkbook.
9 of 21 are in process.
Hey, on the bright side, if I only finish what I've started so far, I'm still well ahead of my initial 4 of 21 prediction!
Figment

Post by Figment »

catamount wrote:Maybe I'll paint my keel and rudder orange (or yellow, with a blue bottom, existing dark (black?) boot stripe, and my old gray topsides...?)!
Is the water really that clear up there?
catamount

Post by catamount »

Figment wrote:Is the water really that clear up there?
Yeah, sometimes. But the real reason for painting a keel orange (or yellow) is not to be able to see it better when its under the water, but because it is faster! ;-)

and because of Offshore Special Regulation 4.02
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

You surely mean 4.02.3 ?
Mark.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Mark.Wilme wrote:You surely mean 4.02.3 ?
hehe, yeah. 4.02.3 is of course a sub-part of 4.02; I'm also considering painting the top of my mast orange (*). For 4.02.1(b) I am, for the time-being, relying on the red-and-orange vinyl graphics on my gray topsides (see my GREYHAWK avatar for example) to provide that visibility... ;-) Oh, and orange storm sails, too, of course, as suggested in OSR 4.26.2

(*) Evans Starzinger painted an orange band on the mast of HAWK just above his jumper struts which you can see in these photos:

http://bethandevans.smugmug.com/gallery ... /105546446
http://bethandevans.smugmug.com/gallery ... /105547362
http://bethandevans.smugmug.com/gallery ... /106085688

Not too obtrusive, but perhaps more visible to SAR than just a grey boat on an otherwise gray background...

Regards,
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I can't believe you have all this work to do on that boat you sailed up from Maryland last year - you're an ambitious man (but I know the boat is in your back yard so maybe it's not that bad after all).

Our 'new' boat is hopefully in pretty good condition and most of my 4 page list is commissioning stuff - what gets me is the boat is an hours drive away, so I have to prep, pack, drive, do, return.

I brought some stuff home for evening / cold weather work like splicing up my new dock lines, cleaning fenders, making new fender covers, rebuilding the water pump, marking the anchor line, repainting my table bases etc but it seems like there is always a list.

I'll compose it and share it later in the week anyway.

Focus is making sure the boat floats, sails and motors - everything else is a bonus (sort of).
Mark.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Below is my winter list:

Recap - we purchased our 'new' boat in October of last year. She had been out of the water for a season, so we had to recommission her to bring her home (post here) and our winter list is basically a few small repairs, some improvements, some winterizing and some updates. It is longer than I thought it would be (aren't they always).

Repairs - Necessary repairs for the journey home were covered elsewhere Status : Complete

Winterizing: Winterize water systems, change oil, change anodes, remove canvas, remove and store impeller, remove stuff from boat Status : Complete

New Graphics - We changed the name and the hailing port, so I need to add new graphics - Status : Priced but not started

Anchor and chain - I have a 35lb CQR on 20ft of 5/16 BBB chain and 150ft of 3 strand 5/8 rode. I want to use this chain/rode as my secondary and add 80ft of chain and 150ft of rode as my primary. Would also want to add a Bruce or claw as my secondary anchor (have two rollers). Status : Status : Priced but not started

Keel rust - The drawback of an iron keel need to sand and treat exposed iron before applying bottom paint. Status : Started

Bottom paint - need to apply 2 coats, black. Status : Not started

Equipping the galley - Need new pots, pans, plates, cutlery etc. Status : Not started

BBQ - thinking of putting a small removable force10 BBQ on the stern rail, not a priority Status : Not started

Head rebuild kit - Purchased a replacement joker valve - added to the spares kit. Status : Complete

Radar reflector - purchased on Ebay. awaiting delivery. Status :In progress

Jacklines - Acquire and fit Status : Not started

Lifesling (2) - Acquired as a gift. Need to determine best way to mount his to the stern rail. Status : Not started

Solar vents - Third hand information says even with passive ventilation the boat will get hot and stuffy, especially when left shut up all week. The plan is to add 3 x 3" Nicro solar vents to the hatches in the fore cabin and main salon. The hatches in the aft cabins which are under the dodger can be left ajar with insect screens on them. Status : In pricing stage

Rope cutter - Desired but complex. There is no room on the shaft right now. I could add a drivesaver and push back the shaft and prop about 2" to make space. Status : Postponed until next winter

Impeller cover ('Speedseal') - access to impeller is very easy - right on front of engine, cover removal time 90 seconds so probably not required. Status : On hold

VHF. Existing (working) Standard Horizon VHF removed and sold. New Uniden M525 and WHAM mic acquired. Status : In shipping - to be fitted

Locks. New keys for main companionway hatch vut from French blanks supplied by Beneteau USA ($$$ ouch !). New combination locks added to lazarette and propane locker. Status : complete

Compass - Air bubble on top. This Plastimo compass uses oil. Oil purchased and refill has begun. Status : In progress

Fire extinguishers. There is one mounted in each cabin inside the lockers. There is one mounted in the cockpit lazarette and there is one under the nav seat in the salon. Status : Complete

Acquire Steaming cone and Anchor ball. Abandoned - no-one uses them. Status : Canceled

Water pump - the pump on the Westerbeke was dripping water from the sea water seal. New replacement pump purchased and a rebuild kit purchased.Status - Old pump removed, awaiting strip down. New pump awaiting fitting (soon)

Dock lines. 200+ft of double braid line purchased on ebay. Status : Part way through splicing up the eyes.

Mooring pendant. Backup mooring pendant to be created in case we ever need it. Status : Cut and Spliced. Thimble whipped - complete

Acquire spares. Given the time to acquire spares and consumables is fixed regardless of whether you buy one or several I have bought my consumables in bulk. I have also gotten what I think have been good prices.
* 6 Wix oil filters
* 8 Prop anodes from Boatzincs.com
* 8 Engine anodes from Redden Marine
* 8 Westerbeke fuel filters from Hansen Marine
* 12 Racor filters from ebay
* 6 Globe impellers from ebay
* 1 new ITT Jabsco strainer bowl - I found two of these to be cracked and replaced them before the journey home, so this is a spare.

Music system. Original plan was to fix the CD changer which was not working. We are now replacing the receiver and CD changer with a new Sony CDX GT510, Sony XA-110-IP iPod integration unit and a 30G Gen5 iPod. Status : Items ordered and in shipping.

Table bases - Table bases in the salon were peeling (some type of enamel). Have been removed, stripped, primed and repainted with Rustoleum. Status : Complete.

Winter cover - As per my post earlier this week I abandoned the winter cover I got with the boat and am making my own out of ?" schedule 40 PVC pipe and some large tarps. Status : in progress

Ditch bag - We wanted to prepare a coastal ditch bag (different from a blue water ditch bag. I am writing up a separate article on this. Status : Underway

Seating - we are contemplating adding a couple of Directors chairs that can be folded up and stored when not needed but if we need the seating that can be added to seat 8 in the salon. Status : In evaluation

Batteries. Replace all batteries. Existing Gp27 and 8D to be replaced by twin (switchable) Gp 27's for starting bank and 4 Trojan T105's for house bank. Status : Awaiting spring to acquire batteries to eliminate my freezing temperatures storage issues.

Fenders. I have acquired new fenders to supplement existing for both day to day and oversized (10" and 12" - wow 12" is a BIG fender) fenders for storm fenders. Existing fenders have been cleaned with Roll-Off and air added where needed. All have been equipped with new 3/8" double braid whips and fender covers will be made out of SailRites boatblanket material. Status : Underway

Fuel. Fuel tank was completely topped off with diesel from 5 gallon jerry can with fuel stabilizer. Fuel filters will be changed in the spring when I can run the engine to check for air in the fuel lines. Note based on what I had to add to the tank there was less than a gallon left after we brought the boat home so fair to say most of the fuel in the tank is now new fuel. Status : Complete

Running Rigging. New 3/8" line for lazy jacks spliced up (not installed until spring commissioning). All shackles checked, some replaced. Shackles to be "wired" with Nylocs. Cotter pins and rings checked, some replaced. Status : Complete-ish

Soft wooden plugs - purchased and stored in locker - debating whether to secure them with light line near each thru hull as I did on previous boat. Status : Thinking still

Dodger repair. One of the zipper has lost it's zip and some of the snappers are pulling through. Need to drop this in to be done. Status : Outstanding

Gelcoat repairs - anchor ding on bow, scratches on topsides, dings in cockpit. Crack in helmsmans seat / transom step that requires grinding out and reinforcing. Status : Assigned to marina

Tools. determine new storage method and location for tool. Three soft sided bags purchased (large tools, small tools and infrequently used tools). Storage in rear of cockpit locker. Status : Complete

Refrigeration. Remove old thermostat, acquire replacement. Install and tidy up wiring. Status : Complete

Refrigeration 2. Recharge system with R134a from local auto parts store. Note if recharging use the R134A WITHOUT oil. Status : Purchased, not installed yet

Vacuum cleaner. Acquire and install / store household vac for clean up. B&D 14.4v cordless dustbuster will be installed in port aft cabin locker and charged from shore power. 110v outlet will be extended to provide outlet inside locker for charger. Status : In progress

Service winches. Port cabintop winch has some noise to it. To be serviced. All winches if time allows. Status : service kit purchased, To be scheduled

Floorboards - Probably the wrong name, right ? I had to secure the floorboards to the hull liner where the salon table mounts because you could rock the entire table and floorboard assembly. SS set screws and washers were used and 'hidden' beneath the table bases. Status : Complete

Floorboards 2 - At the foot of the companionway steps the starboard floorboard 'rocks' - needs additional support. Status : Outstanding

Headsets - we are contemplating acquirng Mariner 500 headsets or similar to assist in communication without shouting when docking or anchoring - sometimes you don't have line of sight for hand signals to work. Status : Still in analysis

Quick step. Acquire and install Quick step to assist in boarding at the dock from the side. Status : Complete (Gee, that was tough)

Mast step cable outlets. They leak. Temporarily fixed with Duct tape. Status : Permanent solution outstanding

Portlights - they also leak (Lewmar). Tightened for now, Time will tell. Status : Monitoring

Carbon Monoxide Detector - purchased Xintex 12v carbon monoxide detector. Status : To be installed - location under evaluation

Smoke detector - to be procured and installed. Status : Outstanding

that's about it, I think.

Priorities always under evaluation.
Mark.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

catamount wrote:(*) Evans Starzinger painted an orange band...
Off topic but looking at their site reminded me of their new book, which I got a brief chance to browse through. It's at least as good as Calder's Cruising Handbook. Another hardcover monstrosity that I'll just HAVE to have.
And Dan Spurr updated his Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat...

Why is it that I can read the same damn "how-to" projects a million times, and as long as there are different pictures I'm still fascinated?
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

FloatingMoneyPit wrote: Why is it that I can read the same damn "how-to" projects a million times, and as long as there are different pictures I'm still fascinated?
Because it is all about the pictures. IMO there is nothing that inspires more variations on a theme than being able to see pictures and diagrams! :)