Why????

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Why????

Post by Case »

I came across this rather interesting listing in Yachtworld. All I can think is WHY? To see what I am wondering about, look at this...

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_b ... slim=quick&

What's the post is about? Well, go to the website link I just gave and give it a careful read. If you can actually read and look carefully, you'll see why I posted this message. Personally I have some ideas why but posted this message to see what's your take on this listing... - Casey
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Because of the walk-through transom, so one can't be located on the center-line, thus to keep it balanced you need two.

What if one fails? Then you've got a backup ready to go!

Maybe one is for the tender?

BTW, I really like the dodger --- looks sharp! :->
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Because it looks so super-cool, racy, and fast, and because they have to compete against that gorgeous MacGregor 26X in the next slip. But I couldn't help but notice that they don't even match! (As if it would have been less stupid if they had matched!)

It's important to have that backup, because if one failed, what in the world would you do, after all? It's always good to have a secondary means close at hand. Oh, wait...what's that big stick-like thing sticking straight up out of the middle of the boat? I bet that has a use, but what could it be?

Case, I'm worried about the means by which you came across this listing in the first place...I sure hope you have a sound explanation! hehe
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

It allows you to make very sharp turns.

One in forward, one in reverse.....viola....complete 360.

Useful in the sailboat docking olympics.

The best part would be the slow painful rythm of two totally dissimilar motors going in and out of hramony with each other...wracking the boat with sympathetic vibration.

Nothing worse than a pair of motors out of synch!!!

Why is a good question.......but the macgregor 26 asked it first. (sorry if anyone on the board has one...I just can't understand!!)
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

I live down the road and cruise the harbor but I don't think I've seen this little beauty.
I notice she comes with a well stocked bar.
'Course, we're laughing now but who hasn't been willing to pay real money for a second engine at some time?
Jim
Case

Post by Case »

Tim wrote:
Case, I'm worried about the means by which you came across this listing in the first place...I sure hope you have a sound explanation! hehe
Oh yeah... I do have a sound explanation for finding this listing... I was looking for Folkboats in Yachtworld! Apparently some people list them as a 26' sailboat, not the 25' sailboat it really is. I also was looking for Cape Dories for the hell of it so put down 25' - 26', hit "search" and looked at all listings that showed up.

I find it sad that many people buy sailboats for the "romance of sailing" or "buying for the environment" but instead motor about endlessly without a notion of what to do with that big ole stick. If you're not sailing your sailboat, sell it and get a trawler! You'll be happier and will get that warm feeling of superiority looking down on sailboaters from your steering wheel!

By the way, I have nothing against trawlers. They just are better at low speed motoring than sailboats plus has more space for the same length. I really recommend them if you motor slowly most of the time. Sailboats are meant to be sailed, not motoring!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Is it just me, or is the covered motor further outboard than the other motor? Perhaps this is to make up for the difference in thrust from the mismatched outboards?
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

They're definitely on different style mounts, so the covered motor could be a bit further outboard. It also looked to me like the covered motor is a long-shaft, while the other motor might have a shorter shaft(?). I also noted that the covered motor does not have a fuel line going to it, while the other motor does.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

Tim-

Of course there's only one fuel line and two engines of different shaft length.........you're supposed to switch depending on depth of water.

Plymouth Bay is notoriously shallow and it's a great convenience to be able to continue powering along in varying depths.

I'm thinking about one of those Vietnamese super-long shaft things for the back of my catboat so's I can go way up the river. Or maybe one of those fans from an Everglades air boat?

Jim
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I'm thinking about one of those Vietnamese super-long shaft things for the back of my catboat so's I can go way up the river.
I believe those boats are called "long tails".

I say go for it - a long tail motor, and a giant fan. With some winglets on your keel, you could have a hydrofoil...
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Sounds like...

Post by David VanDenburgh »

something for the Department of Redundancy Department, if you ask me.