Skeleton found on derelict.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Skeleton found on derelict.

Post by grampianman »

Here's a photo of what looks like a Triton which sank in the Caloosahatchee river off the city of Ft. Myers, Florida. The local constabulary is in the process of identifying the gender and any evidence of foul play on the skeleton. The name on the boat is Sea Sprite.

Just trying to add to the depth of information on this already wide-ranging forum; might have been 'better' around Halloween.

Cheers,
Ian
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think finding a body inside my next project boat might put a damper on things for me...

That's most definitely a Triton. Looks like she was on the bottom for a day or two. Eeeech.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:I think finding a body inside my next project boat might put a damper on things for me...
Oh, come on... think of the thematic possibilities! Posts carved like bones, skull motifs... fun!
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

From the forward hatch, it kind of looks like a WC Triton. Are there any more pictures of her or a link to the original article?
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Naming it would be fun - Titanic, Lusitania, Flying Dutchman, Black Pearl, Hispaniola... the possibilites are almost limitless.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

I s'pose this would be a bad time to talk about sailing with a "skeleton crew?"
Tony
Allen

Post by Allen »

Summersdawn wrote:Naming it would be fun - Titanic, Lusitania, Flying Dutchman, Black Pearl, Hispaniola... the possibilites are almost limitless.
Billy Bones? :)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

You guys are cold, very cold...

-Britton
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia

Post by Eric »

bcooke wrote:You guys are cold, very cold...
I agree. After all, that's a Triton sitting on that flatbed!
Sophia, Triton #635
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia

Link to Friday's Sun Herald

Post by Eric »

This article
in Friday's Charlotte Sun Herald has a bit more detail...
The boat had no Florida registration number. But the detectives used the vessel's serial number to trace some of its previous owners.

The last owner who held a title to the boat was a Wisconsin resident who bought the boat in Punta Gorda and sailed it to Stuart, Fla., said Lewis.

That person was contacted in Colorado. He told the detective he sold it to another man who motored the boat from Stuart to Fort Myers, Lewis said.

Detectives then contacted that man in Texas. He told detectives he anchored the boat in the Caloosahatchee, locked the hatches and left town.

That was in February.

Detectives believe the boat sank in July, Lewis said.

The last owner reacted with "a little bit of a surprise" when detectives told him the boat had sunk and a skeleton had been found on board.

"He was surprised that the boat was actually sunken," Lewis said.
Kinda makes you wonder how many other boats are out there looking after themselves...
Sophia, Triton #635
Allen

Post by Allen »

Based on some of the articles I've read in Latitude 38 regarding abandoned boats the the SF Bay area, it really isn't that surprising. The interesting thing in this case is going to be how the victim died. Was he/she someone who had found an apparently abandoned boat and setup housekeeping, then died of natural causes or by drowning when the boat sank, or was he/she the victim of a more nefarious plot? It's sad to say, but this would make an interesting plot for one of the CSI shows.

Here's the whole article from the Charlotte Sun
Charlotte Sun Archives

THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

The article you requested is displayed below.
Cops work to ID skeleton found on boat
"Sea Sprite" once hailed from Punta Gorda
Author(s): GREG MARTIN

Staff Writer Date: December 16, 2005 Section:
A forensic anthropologist has begun a bone-by-bone examination of a human skeleton found in a sunken sailboat in the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers earlier this week.

Heather Walsh-Haney, an assistant professor of forensic anthropology at Florida Gulf Coast University, is looking for clues to determine who the bones belonged to and how the person died.

The skeleton was discovered Monday by a crew hired by the city of Fort Myers to remove sunken vessels.

The boat, named "Sea Sprite," had one possible clue painted on its back:

Detectives checked one clue that was painted on the back of the boat: its home port of "Punta Gorda, FL."

But Fort Myers police detectives Barry Lewis and Mark Chitwood already know the deceased isn't the boat's last owner. The detectives contacted the owner by phone in Texas.

It's too early in the investigation to say whether foul play was involved, Lewis said.

The boat had no Florida registration number. But the detectives used the vessel's serial number to trace some of its previous owners.

The last owner who held a title to the boat was a Wisconsin resident who bought the boat in Punta Gorda and sailed it to Stuart, Fla., said Lewis.

That person was contacted in Colorado. He told the detective he sold it to another man who motored the boat from Stuart to Fort Myers, Lewis said.

Detectives then contacted that man in Texas. He told detectives he anchored the boat in the Caloosahatchee, locked the hatches and left town.

That was in February.

Detectives believe the boat sank in July, Lewis said.

The last owner reacted with "a little bit of a surprise" when detectives told him the boat had sunk and a skeleton had been found on board.

"He was surprised that the boat was actually sunken," Lewis said.

The boat went down just north of Loften Island, located between the Edison and Caloosahatchee bridges.

"Loften Island always has been pretty prolific for vagabonds," Lewis said.

One theory that detectives consider "plausible" is that a vagabond broke into the boat to pilfer it or sleep on it, Lewis said.

He said the rear hatch was not found with the boat, even though the owner claims he locked it before he left.

Also, other boaters contacted at a nearby yacht basin told detectives the boat had been sitting lower and lower in the water for some time before it sank, indicating it was going down slowly.

"We still have a dilemma," Lewis said, adding that the bones still need to be identified.

Fortunately, the police department now has a local expert to turn to for help in solving that mystery.

Walsh-Haney, a forensic pathologist for the past 10 years, moved to the Fort Myers area just four months ago. In addition to teaching students forensics skills, she's on call for area medical examiners' offices.

Normally, area police agencies would have to send skeletal remains to the University of Florida, where Wash-Haney was trained, for such examinations.

Walsh-Haney said she has analyzed skeletal remains in hundreds of cases, but never one retrieved from a sunken sailboat filled with mud, crabs, fish and other marine creatures.

"The muck was deep, dark, black and brown," she said. "To get everything out of the boat, we had to drain it. ... I've never recovered bones from that context before."

Also found in the boat were a blue-plaid sleeping bag and about a dozen cans of food. The sea had tarnished the cans, and some of the bones, to the color of soot.

The bones were rinsed and placed in a tub full of water to prevent them from drying out, warping or decomposing, Walsh-Haney said. About 90 percent of the skeleton was recovered, she said.

"I will macroscopically, with my own eyes, examine each and every bone, all of the bone surfaces, making note of anything that is an indicator of this victim's ancestry, sex, stature, health and age," she said.

She'll also look for unique signs of trauma or disease, characteristics that detectives could use to confirm an identification, once they identify a possible victim.

The sex or approximate age of the deceased remained unknown Thursday, Walsh-Haney said. Her examination is expected to take two weeks.

News of the skeleton's discovery washed through Punta Gorda's sailing circles like a storm tide Thursday.

"I'm sure I've seen that boat anchored off Cayo Costa," said Dennis Peck, a youth sailing club organizer. He said he last saw the boat some three years ago.

The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office has not been notified to assist in the investigation, said Bob Carpenter, spokesman.

You can e-mail Greg Martin at gmartin@sun-herald.com.

Technical problems: If you have a technical problem with your account please e-mail newslibrary@newsbank.com.

Copyright (c) 2005, Charlotte Sun
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position