Our Winter Worklists

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Ceasar Choppy wrote: Because it is all about the pictures.
And how!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

but mostly the pictures.
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Tim

Post by Tim »

"and how" = slang expression indicating entuhsiastic agreement with a statement (or something vaguely along those lines)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, now I get what Mark's reply meant. Funny coincidence of possible meanings.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

OK it's friday afternoon before our first actual WINTERY boatworking weekend. I'm getting psyched. I have a fair list of things to do that I've been saving for sub-epoxy temperatures.
The fuel system and exhaust system will come first.
Instrument wire routing shouldn't be much of a challenge.
The odd bit of grinding here and there.
A few odd bits of woodworking. (more mockups!)

PSYCHED.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Bring your camera.

How are those gutters turning out?
Figment

Post by Figment »

I haven't popped the gutters off the molds yet. I want to thicken a few spots first. I might actually bring those molds someplace warm just to keep things moving.
I popped the edge-lip pieces off, only to realize that I'd done the starboard side backward. Easy fix, and minimal waste of material. If that's my biggest goof of the job, I'm doing ok.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Today was the day for List Item No. 20: Raise bootstripe.
Step one of this process is to sand down the hard line between the boot and the bottom, and get the blistered/fouled spots down to primer. Longboard in hand, stroke this way, stroke that way, realize that this is going to be a somewhat dusty job, I don the mask.

A funny thing about the respirator mask; Once it's on, it stays on for a while, otherwise the sweaty-dust-mud just gets way out of hand.

So now I have arms of lead, a screaming back, and the lead arms aren't so good at lifting the beer to the lips.

The bootstripe hasn't moved, but at least it's sanded, ready for paint. Along with the whole bottom. I longboarded the whole bottom.
I don't have time to waste obsessing over the bottom. This was supposed to be a "scuff & slap" year for the bottom. Longboard in hand, mask on face, brain disengaged.

Ow. Whenever one gets the itch to move up to a bigger boat, I think longobarding the bottom is the sure cure. The Triton is plenty big today.

The status of The List is about what you'd expect. Apart from these painting issues, the only other thing on the pre-launch list is the new seacock for the galley (on order), so I'm in reasonably good shape.
Oh, and the mast. Must reassemble the mast.
And the new anemometer, must install that.
And the winch. Must install that as well.
Oh, and the Strong track. Can that be done with the rig up?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:Oh, and the Strong track. Can that be done with the rig up?
Yes, it can. But I found that I had to slightly modify the top end of the track because it interfered with (or vise versa) the plates that extend out past both sides the large sheave at the masthead (if your setup is similar).

This was easy to do with the mast on the ground, but would have been a real annoyance if I'd discovered it after installing the track with the mast up. So at a minimimum, try to ensure that you won't experience a similar issue if you must install the track after the mast is up.

You can certainly install the winch after the mast is stepped. I'd do the Strong track first, and leave the winch for later.
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

* Remove all hardware and fittings from the deck -- I've started in on my full-length toe rails, in anticipation of getting ready for painting the decks. The only other items left to be removed are the fixed cabin windows (4), the chain plates, and the hydraulic system panel. But I'm really starting to itch to start putting hardware back on!

* recore portions of the deck, fill all extraneous holes -- Almost all the bad parts have been excavated, and with the warmer spring temps I'm well on the way to gluing in the new coring. Still have to grind bevels and lay down new skin over these areas.

* fair, paint, and non-skid -- not done, need to finish above first

* replace and re-bed hardware and fittings -- see above.

* as part of the above, design, fabricate (or have fabricated) some new fittings such as bow anchor roller platform thingy -- rigger is fabricating, hopefully done by now, waiting for shipment

* send one of my two compasses out for servicing -- done, waiting for second compass to come back from the repairman, too.

* service all ten winches -- Well, I haven't done that yet; I did get my seized footblocks apart...

* Re-bed all thru-hulls, replace 3 frozen gate valves, etc... -- all the thru-hulls are out, and I have installed G10 backing blocks for cockpit drain seacocks, but still have the rest to do...

* re-fasten and re-bed propellor support strut, replace stuffing box hose, polish propellor shaft, replace cutlass bearing -- shaft is out, stuffing box has new hose, have been exploring the strut fastening/bedding, but not solved yet

* have propellor re-furbished by maker -- done! (nice and shiny)

* Redesign and Rebuild Waste Plumbing and Holding Tank arrangements in Head, with new Lavac toilet -- no change from January's report

* Redesign and Rebuild Galley area and Engine Box --no change from January's report

* Install additional fuel and water tankage, redesign fuel filtering system -- Fuel tank is clean and fuel filters have been re-built, but nothing's been re-installed yet. Have decided to put off additional tankage for another year due to budget constraints...

* Consider swapping engines (I have a spare engine on hand ready to drop in place) -- I may have a leaky rear seal on the current engine, so this might happen sooner than originally anticipated.

* Drop Rudder to inspect rudder shaft and bearings -- Will drop the rudder the rest of the way once the ground has fully thawed out.

* dry out and re-seal rudder, rebuild bearings and rudder shaft as necessary -- no change from January's report.

* Drop Keel to inspect keel bolts and re-bed keel-hull joint -- no change from January's report.

* Additional Sail and Rig modifications such as adding slugs on the luff of the mainsail, adding another reef point or two to the mainsail -- I'm waiting for the lawn to grow in a bit before unrolling the sails on it.

* designing, fabricating and installing structure in the foscle to support a planned removable inner forestay, make up inner forestay and cut a sail down to fit, etc... -- met with rigger but still have to do my part...

* fairing the keel and then putting new bottom paint, wet-sanded and burnished to a hard fast finish -- You're not supposed to put Bottom paint until shortly before splash, right? (how's that for a good excuse).

* I'm aiming to get my boat back into the water by then end of June 2007 -- still my goal! So now about 2.5-3.0 months left. Wendy's been suggesting that we leave Greyhawk on the hard here in Keene for another year to get it all done, with out either having to pay for trucking back to Keene again in the fall, or travel to Boothbay next winter, and that we sail Quasar (our San Juan 21) this year... But I'm still hopeful.

I did get my forward hatch "wavestopper" installed, although not fully faired in yet. So incremental progress on many fronts, but no big items that can really be fully crossed off the list yet.

Regards,
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Figment

Post by Figment »

Tomorrow is launch day. Final coat of bottompaint went on last night. I took today off work in anticipation of having a bunch of urgent must-float work to do at the last minute, but I don't.
If only there were some grand list of tasks that could busy these idle hands!

1 Build a new foredeck hatch. NOPE.
2 FINALLY convert the cockpit seats to hinged lockers. (include the "daysailing icebox" idea) STILL ADJUSTING FIT OF LIDS. MUCH SMOOTHING AND PAINTING TO DO YET.
3 Basically convert the bulk of the cockpit floor into one huge access hatch WITH THE HUGE SEAT-LOCKERS, THIS NO LONGER SEEMS SO ADVANTAGEOUS. IDEA ABANDONED.
4 Replace coamings. WAITING FOR VARNISH-FRIENDLY WEATHER
5 Wooden toerail. NOPE.
6 (re)install foredeck cowl vent and/or hawse pipe. Might as well find bow chocks while I'm at it. WELL, I FOUND THE BOW CHOCKS. THAT'S SOMETHING.
7 replace long-demolished concealment panel behind the head. Even I'm getting tired of looking at the plumbing. NOPE.
8 Replace engine fuel delivery system. Everything between the tank and the manifold. DONE, PLUS TANK. VROOOOM, BABY.
9 Establish valve and filter center (like Britton's) in companionway step and relocate batteries either to the "hanging locker" or to portside, aft of icebox. DONE, BUT NOT AS PLANNED
10 WATERLIFT EXHAUST. DONE. SPLISH-SPLASH, BABY.
11 Build hinged mounting panel for VHF, GPS, Sailing instruments. JUST A MOCK-UP FOR NOW
12 instrument package DONE
13 Backstay adjuster. DONE.
14 Touchup transom paint DONE.
15 Apply name and port of call on transom. NOPE.
16 Rig outhaul so it actually works. DONE.
17 Install bail on boom for vang. the lashing is cool and all, but enough already. DONE.
18 New boarding ladder. NOPE.
19 New rudder NOPE.
20 Raise waterline/bootstripe a couple of inches. DONE
21 Laminate a new tiller. 4" longer, and beefier in the hand. JUST A MOCKUP FOR NOW
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

That's good work, Mike!

Here's MY list...

1. Get a grip on my varnish situation. Not Yet
2. Finish paint repair at bow. DONE
3. Replace anchor platform. No
4. Restrike and paint boot. No
5. Install Lavac No
6. Lazy Jacks Not Yet
7. Install sanitation system. No
8. Additonal water tankage opposite head tankage. No
9. Finish v-berth (Fix and trim out headliner, new cypress or maple ceiling, beadboard on bulkheads, new anchor-locker door, new shelving/lockers, new cushions.) No
10. Mark all anchor rodes for length. Not Yet

Cover still on the boat. Lovely.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Mike,

We're expecting lots of pictures of all this stuff. Be sure to have your camera at the ready tomorrow. Let's see that new boottop--in and out of the water. Let's see the seat lockers. Let's see what you ended up with for a backstay adjuster.

Am I being demanding enough? If not, let me know and I'll step it up a bit...hehe

Oh yeah...let's see how your fuel tank setup ended up.
Tim

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:That's good work, Mike!

Here's MY list...

5. Install Lavac No
6. Lazy Jacks Not Yet
9. Finish v-berth (Fix and trim out headliner, new cypress or maple ceiling, beadboard on bulkheads, new anchor-locker door, new shelving/lockers, new cushions.) No

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

That's an awful lot of "NO"s on there. Pathetic. ;<P
Tim

Post by Tim »

OK. Here's my work list for the boat this spring. Nothing has yet been accomplished of this list; it's brand-new.

1. Remove cover: hopefully 4/20 or else 4/21

2. Wash decks and all interior lockers and bilges: hopefully 4/21-4/22

3. Replace batteries; time for fresh ones

4. Replace engine stop cable (it seized over the past year sometime, apparently)

5. Change fuel filters

6. Change oil and filters

7. Replace impeller

8. Refinish bronze ports (as always)

9. Sand, strip, and revarnish toerails as required

10. Sand, strip, and revarnish sea hood as required

11. Sand and varnish companionway, forward hatch, and coamings (maintenance coats only)

12. Inspect all boat gear and re-load on board, discarding unnecessary items

13. Reorganize fastener supply and storage: DONE 4/19; new assortments and storage unit ordered from boltdepot.com

14. Paint bottom

15. Repair anchor platform as required and reinstall rollers

16. Rebed chainplates

17. Schedule mast stepping

18. Change hailport: Maybe
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:

Here's MY list...

5. Install Lavac No
6. Lazy Jacks Not Yet

Hey, I've done more on MY boat in the past 8 months than you!

This weather's really helping out.
Figment

Post by Figment »

dasein668 wrote:
Tim wrote:

Here's MY list...

5. Install Lavac No
6. Lazy Jacks Not Yet

Hey, I've done more on MY boat in the past 8 months than you!

This weather's really helping out.
I think you need the Heather to help you out.
Tell her all about how I relieved stress and burnout whilst studying for my certifications by building a canoe. Boatwork is wonderful for emptying one's mind of clutter.

Yes, I know I'm in serious arrears in the photo posting department. I actually have some stuff to photo and post for once, and I can't for the life of me find my camera. This is really a secondary priority at the moment.

First priority is finding my forestay. I stopped by the yard on the way home to quadruple-check everything for tomorrow and noticed that I'd somehow omitted pre-rigging the forestay. I expect I'll be up and on the road with the milkmen tomorrow.
Figment

Post by Figment »

ah-HAH!

Camera found!

Now I just hope the fortune follows through with the forestay search.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Looks like you have a great day for launch, Mike...and a great-looking weekend on the forecast too. Enjoy!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Tim wrote:1. Remove cover: hopefully 4/20 or else 4/21
DONE!

I wanted to get this thing off, so I took advantage of light wind first thing this morning.

Later today, I plan to do some more work and remove the frame and chafe gear, etc, but for now I wanted to have the cover off before any wind came up to make the task more difficult.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Tim wrote:2. Wash decks and all interior lockers and bilges[/b]
Done!
Tim wrote:4. Replace engine stop cable (it seized over the past year sometime, apparently)
Not necessary; the cable seems fine. I'm not sure why it wouldn't move the other day.
Figment

Post by Figment »

I'll try to be brief. I have the first good sun/windburn of the year. Not a cloud in the sky all day, wind 20-30. That wind made for some interesting moments with rusty boathandling skills.

Cockpit seat lockers. These lids are merely resting in place. Still adjusting fit and operation.

And the daysailing icebox.
Image Image Image

Fuel tank, filter, etc.
Image Image

fuel filter elsewhere, but engine water intake and strainer now MUCH more conveniently located in the companionway step (erstwhile battery box)

Backstay adjuster. (cascading tackle) This obviously doesn't photograph well. I think I may need to learn how to shoot vids with this thing.

Bootstripe. Raised about two inches. I'd be amazed if you could see any difference from last year's pics, but here it is anyway.
Image Image
And THERE's that copper penny I was looking for last year!

Other stuff.
As a might-as-well with the cockpit lockers, I did new Cockpit Drains and Seacocks.

Installation of the fabled Triducer.
Image Image Image

Still plenty to do. She's launched and sparred, and an absolute friggin pigsty filthy mess. The exertions of preparing the boat and vacating the shed finally hit me around 2:00 and I called it a day. oof.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice. Thanks for all the pictures!

Is that backstay adjuster as tall as it looks, or is it a trick of the camera angle? I guess it has to be tall in order to work.
Figment

Post by Figment »

It's pretty tall. Standing on the poopdeck, I can just about reach that topmost block. My initial impression is that it needn't be so tall, though. A little tug on that line loads the rig up quite nicely, so I probably don't need as much "travel" as I have, and part of the reason for its current length is that it's sized so that no splice tails turn around blocks, and it now occurs to me that when the tails would be in the blocks there would be very little load on them. Easy enough to shorten if I wish. (sigh. I just started next year's Winter Worklist, didn't I?)
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

OK ignorance showing .... but what's that notch in this photo ?

Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Figment

Post by Figment »

It's actually more of a flat-bottom bulge than a notch.
Speed/depth/temp transducer location. It'd be more obvious if I actually had the transducer plug in place instead of the flatbottom "blank" plug.

It started with the "triducer" thread...
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here's an update on the spring preparations.
  • 1. Remove cover: DONE: 4/20

2. Wash decks and all interior lockers and bilges: DONE: 4/21

3. Replace batteries; time for fresh ones DONE: 4/23

4. Replace engine stop cable (it seized over the past year sometime, apparently) Not necessary; cable is OK

5. Change fuel filters

6. Change oil and filters

7. Replace impeller

8. Refinish bronze ports (as always) DONE: 4/22

9. Sand, strip, and revarnish toerails as required Stripped, sanded, and 5 coats applied as of 4/25

10. Sand, strip, and revarnish sea hood as required Stripped, sanded, and 4 coats applied as of 4/25

11. Sand and varnish companionway, forward hatch, and coamings (maintenance coats only)

12. Inspect all boat gear and re-load on board, discarding unnecessary items

13. Reorganize fastener supply and storage: DONE 4/19; new assortments and storage unit ordered from boltdepot.com

14. Paint bottom

15. Repair anchor platform as required and reinstall rollers

16. Rebed chainplates

17. Schedule mast stepping DONE: Scheduled for 5/29

18. Change hailport: Maybe
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

- build a sailing dinghy - DONE (still waiting for sail)
- make new cushions ( hiring out the sewing) - DONE
- sub out a new dodger - (final installation by end of week)
- upgrade electrical - DONE
- varnish - DONE
- paint boom - DONE
- sand and paint bottom - DONE
- sand and paint ice box interior (water based Awlgrip) - DONE

I also:
- had a new 135% roller reefing genny made
- added a cabinet down below and redesigned table set up
- designed and fabricated an outboard well filler (goes around the shaft and fills in the hull)

I am splashing Hirilond? tuesday and will take pictures of the new stuff later in the week.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment

Post by Figment »

(am I still allowed to have a "winter worklist" after the boat is launched?)

Still varnishing new coamings prior to installation.
Still fairing cockpit modifications prior to paint.
Still procrastinating the galley sink drain to seacock hose connection. That's gonna be one bruiser of a wrestling match.
Still cleaning and tidying the interior, one compartment at a time.

But there is progress on some fronts.
I now have a FUEL GAUGE!!!! Saints Be Praised!
I also now have INSTRUMENTS, and for the most part they appear to function properly. The depthsounder appears to be accurate to the friggin INCH.

The vberth also has a new amenity, which in the "home improvements" world would be termed a "Dramatic Water Feature". WOW that through-hull makes one heck of a fountain when you pull the plug to swap in/out the transducer!
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Ceasar Choppy wrote: List for this winter:

1. replace fuel tank Very Close
2. replace fuel delivery system Just need to hook up hoses
3. install serpentine belt system on engine so I don't have to tighten alternator belt before every trip! Not this time
4. relocate batteries behind engine/waterlift after fueltank is done
5. new engine mounts for the Perkins 4-108 Done!
6. new exhaust hose On order- have new waterlift too
7. relocate engine controls to pedestal 90% there
8. new VDO engine instruments Need to wire them up
9. finish shower sump system Wait till I'm in
10. fix portside water tank spigot Wait till I'm in
11. repair blisters Next year!
12. install new stanchions Next year!
13. install 6 new opening portlights if I ever buy them. They are LATE! in delivery 60 days is now 90!
14. stop leaks in existing fixed portlights Rebedding now
15. refinish toe rail not started
16. find a job that will pay for all this AND allow me to work on it at the same time!
Oh yeah, and I still need to paint the bottom!

No one believes me that I'll be in in 3 weeks. Wonder why?
[/b]
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

original list posted September 12
update posted January 8
update posted April 2
Update as of May 3

* Remove all hardware and fittings from the deck -- Toe Rails are off! (only about 200 bolts to undo!) revealling all kinds of dirt, including trapped diesel fuel!

* recore portions of the deck, fill all extraneous holes -- DONE! (more or less...)

* fair, paint, and non-skid -- getting ready!!!!

* replace and re-bed hardware and fittings -- as soon as the paint has cured!

* as part of the above, design, fabricate (or have fabricated) some new fittings such as bow anchor roller platform thingy -- rigger was fabricating, supposedly done by now, just waiting for shipment

* send compasses out for servicing -- both compasses are back from the repair shop and they look great!

* service all ten winches -- still not done...

* Re-bed all thru-hulls, replace 3 frozen gate valves, etc... -- DONE! (more or less...

* re-fasten and re-bed propellor support strut, replace stuffing box hose, polish propellor shaft, replace cutlass bearing -- I did install the stuffing box with new hose, but haven't yet re-assembled the shaft, etc... I've done a bit of grinding around the strut and have a plan for securing that.

* have propellor re-furbished by maker -- DONE! (nice and shiny)

* Redesign and Rebuild Waste Plumbing and Holding Tank arrangements in Head, with new Lavac toilet -- with the thru-hulls relocated (DONE!), I'm getting ready to build a new holding tank

* Install additional fuel and water tankage, redesign fuel filtering system --need to think about putting the fuel system back together now. I've also got to build new battery boxes....

* Drop Rudder to inspect rudder shaft and bearings -- Have dropped the rudder as far as I dare without building a cradle for it; there's still just a bit of shaft in the tube, but both top and bottom bearing surfaces are now exposed. Will clean the shaft and the tube and jack the rudder back into place.

* Additional Sail and Rig modifications such as adding slugs on the luff of the mainsail, adding another reef point or two to the mainsail -- I'm waiting for the new Strong Track hardware coming from my rigger so I can install it on the sail...

* fairing the keel and then putting new bottom paint, wet-sanded and burnished to a hard fast finish -- You're not supposed to put Bottom paint until shortly before splash, right? (how's that for a good excuse).

* I'm aiming to get my boat back into the water by then end of June 2007 -- well, actually shooting for the beginning of July rather than the end of June, but that's due to a family trip planned for the last week of June. I hope to get the paint done by end of May and re-install the hardware in the beginning of June... So the Halifax Race is out (this year; that was a pretty ambitious goal...), but we're now setting out sites on the Monhegan Race/

It sure feels good to be able to mark some things off the list as DONE.

Pictures coming soon,
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Figment

Post by Figment »

The other edge of the sword.

Yesterday, as I was finishing up installation of the new coamings, a couple of guys strolling the docks stopped to chat. I sat down in the cockpit for a few minutes.

Let's see that one again... I sat down in the cockpit
Only then did it occur to me that I haven't been able to do that since January.

As I sat there, feeling the solidity of the hatch beneath my rump, squinting my eyes against the sunlight on the varnish, I had a quiet moment of appreciation for the fruits of my winter labors.

It was a brief moment. I had no suitable refreshment aboard (much to the chagrin of the strolling visitors), so I got off my duff and got back to work.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Some pictures of winter work:

my new dodger:

new cushions:

If I like the table set up as seen in last picture I will make a new top this coming winter. I think I will like it. By attaching it to the cabinet and using a diagonal leg it is more than sturdy enough to leave set up and drop it to make a berth on the rare occasion it is necessary.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Save us from our temporary solutions!

Until I get the details worked out on the new instrument and controls panel, I have things set up (or mocked-up) temporarily. $14 worth of speaker bracket and plywood.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Oh Mike, Mike, Mike...well, as long as it's temporary!

(But this answers my question about the engine controls, at least!)
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Ceasar Choppy wrote: List for this winter:

1. replace fuel tank Done
2. replace fuel delivery system Done
3. install serpentine belt system on engine so I don't have to tighten alternator belt before every trip! Not this time
4. relocate batteries behind engine/waterlift Done
5. new engine mounts for the Perkins 4-108 Done!
6. new exhaust hose Done
7. relocate engine controls to pedestal Done
8. new VDO engine instruments Done
9. finish shower sump system Wait till I'm in
10. fix portside water tank spigot Wait till I'm in
11. repair blisters Next year!- got 4 of them this time though
12. install new stanchions Next year!
13. install 6 new opening portlights if I ever buy them. They messed up the spigot. Sending them back!
14. stop leaks in existing fixed portlights Done
15. refinish toe rail not started
16. find a job that will pay for all this AND allow me to work on it at the same time! still looking!
Got the engine aligned and the engine bled and she is finally home in the water! Only a month behind schedule! So much for my "winter" worklist. Will post pics when I update my website.
Figment

Re: Our Winter Worklists

Post by Figment »

Let's see who's still paying attention.

I have space on the calendar for one more little cruise and then it's time for haulout, so the list is forming in my mind.

Winter worklist 2023-24

1. Repair broken grabrail at starboard quarter
2. Completely strip and refinish all (exterior) brightwork. ALL OF IT.
3. Repair swim platform, add retractable ladder.
4. Build and install chocks to carry dinghy on cabintop
5. Add AIS
6. Replace galley vent fan
7. Resolve or replace shower sump, rewire system completely
8. Seawater washdown pump
9. Flag halyards
10. Replace refrigerator door gasket
11. Replace generator shroud gasket
12. Name boards
13. Replace house-battery bank.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Post by atomvoyager »

Welcome back. Not much of the old group is still around here. At least your job list is different now than it was at the beginning of the thread so that's progress, but looks like it's not for a Triton anymore.
Figment

Post by Figment »

No, I sold the Triton in 2011, did a powerboat project for a few years, then did the project-car thing for a few years, now I've bought myself a trawler.

Holy crap I can actually scratch something off the list.

3. Swim platform repair complete.
12. Name boards complete.

Added to list:
14. repair someone else's failed repair of keel crack.
15. replace masthead anchor light.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

A real blast from the past. :) Hi Figment! Good to hear that you are still 'marine projecting'. :D None of those tasks are onerous, other than perhaps the keel crack - she must be in great shape. I like those GB's: nice layouts, good manageable size, and pleasing to the eye - they look like they would be competent and steady while underway.

Some just-retired friends returned last week from a 3-4 month jaunt to the Keys with theirs (new to them last year), and we had a N-bound transient here at the marina with one last week. The spring snowbird migration has begun...

Below is a generic pic of a GB 42 for those who may wonder.
GB_42.jpg
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...