Bronze Plaque Needed for Engraving

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Bronze Plaque Needed for Engraving

Post by tartan30cirrus »

I am looking for a place that sells and engraves traditional bronze plates/plaques that would go on a transom and be engraved with a name or the like. TX.

Cheers.
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

For something like a transom name board, engraving isn't quite the thing, I'd think. You'd need to custom-cast something of that size, no?
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

It is for the transom of my son's 4' Nutshell Pram/cradle I built him. Custom cast would be cool, but engraved is fine. I just want nice bronze with a traditional look, engraved or cast.

Cheers.
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
David

Post by David »

Clint,

try Bristol Bronze (bristolbronze.com) or Creative castings (ttp://www.creativecastingco.com/plaques.htm)

David
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

OH!... I thought you meant for the transom of the Tartan! That's a whole different kettle of fish.

You built a nutshell cradle? Very nice!

Once upon a time, when a buddy of mine first announced that he had a kid on the way, I bought plans for an Acorn and reduced them, planning to build a 3' version and slap some wheels on it like a boaty version of the Little Red Wagon. Two years later I'd only managed to lay up the backbone and the kid was already too big for it, so I surrenedered.

Hey, you already built the boat with your own two hands, why farm out the nameplate?
I'd start carving something you like in wood, and then show it around to a few local foundries to get it fabricated in bronze.
mishnish
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Contradanza
Boat Type: Vivacity 20

Post by mishnish »

I agree! dont farm it out! theres too much fun to be had in casting your own!

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com

My housemate Dave over here in newcastle has played about with this and he built the plant pot foundry on this site. he was able to melt about a kilo of bronze or brass no sweat! Add to that a little oily sand box and you've got your own foundry...

sweet!
http://www.contradanza.co.uk - The restoration of a Vivacity 20, Aberdeen, Scotland.