Wright's copper cream

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Wright's copper cream

Post by Tallystick »

I've had great results using Wright's copper cream to restore corroded bronze hardware, so I wanted to suggest this product as it's inexpensive and effective. Soaking hardware with siezed mechanisms in a dilute solution of this stuff has worked well in freeing the moving parts. It's sold in my local grocery store for under 3 bucks.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Wright's copper cream

Post by Rachel »

Interesting.

As I'm sure everyone has noticed by now (probably to their annoyance ;), I tend to be curious about things. So I wondered what was in the Copper Cream (I remember polishing silver with Wright's Silver Cream as a kid).

Here is what the MSDS has to say:
wcc.jpg
Of course then I became curious how that compared to their silver cream...
wsc.jpg
Their brass polish:
wbp.jpg
And their metal polish:
wmp.jpg
I can see they are all different (because... don't you sometimes wonder if you are buying twenty specialty products that could boil down to maybe three that are really different and actually have to take up space?), but I don't know enough about chemistry to analyze the differences.

Rachel
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Re: Wright's copper cream

Post by Tallystick »

I think they choose an active ingredient that reacts with the corrosion products to produce a water soluble compound.

The silica is probably used as a mild abrasive.

Plain ol' baking soda works for silver polishing btw.

You could actually use the leftover copper polishing solution as an anti-fungal treatment, as the copper chloride hydrate is a potent anti-fungal hehe.