Looking for dorade cowl vent scoops

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Looking for dorade cowl vent scoops

Post by ILikeRust »

The dorade cowl vents (scoops) on my boat are old (original, for all I know) and are made out of some kind of heavy plastic. Seems like maybe some kind of PVC or vinyl. They're white. Well, they once were white. And it looks like the interior originally was red.

Somewhere along the way, a prior owner painted them. Exterior red, and it looks like they painted the interior dark blue. They now look like total hell. Under the white paint there are lots of mildew spots, and the formerly blue interior is black and yucky (where it's not peeling and flaking off).

I messed around with one last night, trying to figure out how to strip the paint off and leave them looking half-decent enough to repaint them using the right paint intended for plastic. But after fooling around with one for about 45 minutes, I decided it just wasn't worth the effort - they're going to look like crap, no matter what.

So now I'm looking for "new" ones. I like the idea of the polished cast stainless ones, but of course they're about $160 apiece. I also like the bronze ones, but of course they're even more expensive. I'm trying to find a salvage place where I might be able to pick up a couple for cheap(er).

Any idears?

Thanks!
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Looking for dorade cowl vent scoops

Post by captphil416 »

I have a scoop from my triton; Bronze but very rough, Unfortunately the screw lid is missing. Its your for postage if you are interested. Phil
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

captphil416 wrote:I have a scoop from my triton; Bronze but very rough, Unfortunately the screw lid is missing. Its your for postage if you are interested. Phil
I have a single dorade vent, so if ILike Rust is looking for matching ones, I'd be very happy to have your single one!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

Yes, I'm looking for a matched pair.

I'd like to find a marine salvage place in Virginia somewhere - like Minney's in the Los Angeles area. When I was out in L.A. in June, an acquaintance of mine took me over to Minney's and wow, what a great place. Maybe I should start a business like that myself, out here on the western shore of the Chesapeake.

I have sent e-mails to a couple of marine salvage places I found on the internet. We'll see if I get a response.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
radicalcy
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

Bill,
Have you looked at Nauti Nell's in Deltaville? I think I saw a couple there, in bronze, needing polish.
Also check http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f64/
You might post a wanted ad...or there may be something there already.
Last edited by radicalcy on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

I have never stopped in Nauty Nell's. I've driven right by it many times. I always got the impression it was a foofy gifte shoppe, full of tchotchkies and decor items, not actual, usable marine salvage. Guess I'll have to stop in and take a look.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

Mostly junk, but there is some good stuff in the yard...a few pieces in the back of the shop as well.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

Captain Crunch's wife, yes.
The place across the creek would be Walden Bros Marina. The son is running it now, and he's cleaned out most of the clutter and remodeled the chandlery.
Another treasure trove was Irvington Marina, Andy Wiley's place, but I think he's died, and the property is in a legal quagmire.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Vark
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aria
Boat Type: 1960 Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Vark »

In Rhode Island we have Wickford Marine Consignment and Newport Nautical. I've seen bronze and chromed bronze cowls in both places, the problem is getting a matching plate and plate cover as these items tend to be orphans . I do believe they have web sites.
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Good point, Vark -- I thought about mentioning that earlier on: If you aren't planning to replace the attachment point (ring, etc.) that goes into the deck/dorade, it's important to note exactly what/how it is because there are different types, some of which are harder to find these days.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Vark wrote:In Rhode Island we have Wickford Marine Consignment and Newport Nautical. I've seen bronze and chromed bronze cowls in both places, the problem is getting a matching plate and plate cover as these items tend to be orphans . I do believe they have web sites.
http://marineconsignment.com/boat-parts/

I don't think they have everything listed on the site. They often have a lot of bronze, though this does not mean they will have exactly what you need. I like to go there just to browse the bronze looking for that piece I just have to buy.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Post by tikvah59 »

These look nice, although the web site has some dead links, which always makes me wonder:

http://www.firstmatescabin.com/mariners ... ROCast.htm

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl