Oscillating multi-tool

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Oscillating multi-tool

Post by ILikeRust »

A while back there was some discussion about oscillating-head tools, such as the Fein Multimaster (scroll down on the linked page to see the discussion).

Well I finally broke down and bought the Porter-Cable version.

Not for my boat - although there is no doubt I will use it for that - but because I have spent several days now working all day on tearing off and replacing some rotten siding on my house, and there were a few bits of rotten wood here and there that I realized this tool would be perfect for getting out.

After having used it for several days to work on the siding - and also having used it to sand grabrails on my boat, I have concluded this tool falls firmly in the category of "how the hell did I get along without one of these before?" tools.

I include in that category the following:

- 18.8 volt cordless drill
- 18.8 volt cordless impact driver
- Reciprocating saw (e.g., Sawzall)
- Oscillating belt/spindle sander
- Bandsaw

Thanks for the nudge towards buying one.

The only thing I find mildly disappointing is that there is no industry standardization on blade attachment. If you buy a Porter-Cable, you have to use Porter-Cable blades. If you buy a Dremel, you have to use Dremel blades. They are not interchangeable. And I have found that the blades are not as tough as they should be, considering how expensive they are. I burned up a hacksaw blade sawing through nails to get the siding off without destroying the rows above the row I was tearing off.

But I can see that this tool and I are going to have a long and fruitful relationship.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Oscillating multi-tool

Post by Hirilondë »

ILikeRust wrote: I burned up a hacksaw blade sawing through nails to get the siding off without destroying the rows above the row I was tearing off.
I have the Fein and I use it all the time. But for this application I used to just take a regular hack saw blade and tape up one end to make a handle and saw the nails between layers of siding.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Some have inter-changeable blades. I have the Dremel Multi-Max and its blades fit the Bosch v ersion. As well I have a Ridgid cordless from Home Depot that will also take the Dremel blades.
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

The Dremel and Bosch are both Bosch. Bosch owns Dremel. The blades for both are made by Scintilla, AG in St. Niklaus Switzerland.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I am thinking this would be ideal for the siding....

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/new-produc ... 48-00-1600

Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~