Fiberglass Biaxial Cloth Tape -- By the Inch or Foot?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Fiberglass Biaxial Cloth Tape -- By the Inch or Foot?

Post by triton318 »

I need 18 yards of fiberglass biaxial cloth tape, in both four and six inch widths (or three and five inch widths). Something like what Jamestown Distributors sells -- FIB-970 and FIB 973. They, however, only sell it in lengths of 15, 45, and 90 yards. Forty-five yards is just way too much. Does anyone know of a source that sells it by the inch or foot or maybe in 20 yard lengths? If not, would anyone be interested in buying what I have left over?

Thanks.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Fiberglass Biaxial Cloth Tape -- By the Inch or Foot?

Post by ILikeRust »

The West Marine store near me sells small packages of fiberglass tape - I don't know off the top of my head the sizes, but they're a few feet. I believe they also sell it by the foot off a roll in the store.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

There are a couple things to consider here. Any place that sells it by the foot will likely be charging a premium such that you probably won't save much if anything over buying a roll that is too long for your immediate needs. Once you start working on a boat it never ends. You will likely need some more in the future. I'm a cheapskate, but don't mind having extra of some material that does not go bad and I will likely need more of some time in the future.

Why do you need 4 and 6? If you are looking to use multiple layers for a tab and want to fair to the hull and bulkhead or such it can be done with 1 width and by off-setting the tape each layer. One layer laps more onto the hull, the next more onto the bulkhead. This yeilds a tapering onto both surfaces. I used this technique in building my dinghy where some joints required more than a single layer of tape to achieve the needed strength. If this is the situation just buy one width.

Anyway, just some thoughts to consider.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Hirilondë wrote:Why do you need 4 and 6? If you are looking to use multiple layers for a tab and want to fair to the hull and bulkhead or such it can be done with 1 width and by off-setting the tape each layer. One layer laps more onto the hull, the next more onto the bulkhead. This yeilds a tapering onto both surfaces.
Excellent -- thanks Dave! I'll by 45 yards of the 4" wide and have a little left over.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Tobygirl
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Clementine
Boat Type: Sabre 30 MKIII

Post by Tobygirl »

My son does custom work on jet ski hulls and he gets all his products from US Composites. My husband is rebuilding the rudder and ordered 4" and 6" carbon fiber tape from them. I believe they sell it by the yard.