V-groove panel source

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

V-groove panel source

Post by Ryan »

I am looking for a source for v-grooved paneling. What I am referring to is very similar to the standard bead board, but with a v shaped groove instead of the standard beads. What I am replacing is measures 1-3/4" between grooves and 5/16" thick. The grooves are 3/16" deep. I am looking for the lighter colored, smoother grained woods like ash or birch. Local suppliers are of no use and internet searching hasn't turned up much, possibly because I don't know exactly what to search for. I can go down the path of routing my own, but would to avoid it if possible. Thanks for any insight!

Ryan
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: V-groove panel source

Post by Rachel »

I really like that style too. A fair number of items seem to pop up under a search for "v groove panel," if you haven't tried that.

When you do use some in your boat, I hope you'll post photos - that is a great look.

Rachel
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks Rachel. I have done the search many different ways, but I have yet to come up with any solid leads on a product that I can actually buy without becoming a wholesaler, distributor, etc.

I really like the way it looks as well. It is currently used on the cabin ceilings behind shelving and to my eye looks a lot better than just a plain glass liner.

Ryan
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ryan,

Sorry if I only gave you a search term you'd already used. Some people haven't used search engines too much yet, and I couldn't tell if you had tried some and not found anything, or if you were at a loss as to where to start searching.

I remember (in those dark, pre-Internet days) searching for a certain type of siding we'd had on our summer cabin - I wanted to use some on my own place. I did find it, but starting out not knowing what to call it made the hunt a bit more difficult.

(In my case it was "drop" siding:

and at the same time I found out that Dolly Varden had a different type of siding named after her - who knew?)

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Rachel's stuff's called German Siding around this neck of the woods (Delaware and Pa).

A similar example is the double beaded T&G board which is called Philadelphia Fencing around here...and it's siding or porch ceiling material, not fencing.

I'll Google your panels for a while for you. It's pretty common stuff, but you'll have to be living well to find an exact match. Same as for the aformentioned German Siding and Philadelphia Fencing. Many variations.
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I searched around a bit and found it also called v-joint. I have bought cheap paneling with v-joints before - it's about 1/4" thick, has tongue & groove (in a v) on it's edges, and an extra V in the middle to look like narrower boards than it actually is, which might bring it to your 1-3/4" requirement, or close. Home Despot would carry it - but I can't find it on their site right now.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks everyone for the efforts! I havne't run across the label v-joint. I'll do some searching with that term as well. Thanks again!

Ryan