sail patch material and thread

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

sail patch material and thread

Post by Mario G »

I have a one inch tear and the top slug to replace on my sails and was wondering where to find proper patch material and thread for these repairs.

I've looked on Defender site and others but either missing something or just lost.

I have a week to have everything ready to sail and this is the last of it.

Thanks
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: sail patch material and thread

Post by Rachel »

Sailrite is a good mail order place to go for materials and lots of good information. It's a Midwestern family business (based in Indiana, although they now have stores in Annapolis and Ft. Lauderdale too), and the people are very helpful if you have questions or need advice. Online shopping is not bad, but a (free) paper catalog from them is a great mini-bible for sail and sewing information.

http://www.sailrite.com

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

You can slip over to your favorite West Marine and buy their sail repair kit. It has a real leather palm, several needles of various sizes, beeswax and thread. The kit does not have fabric. You can buy their sail repair tape and stitch it on.
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Post by tpl »

local sailmaker usually will sell fabric/thread/etc in
small quantities--also good source of advice or even
*gasp* sails:-)
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

Thanks
They looked at me real funny at the local marina when Iask for anything sailboat related, Bass boats seem to the local thing and it will be just as easy to order things on line over having them "special order" anything.