Anyone else having problems with Hamilton Marine?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Polecat

Anyone else having problems with Hamilton Marine?

Post by Polecat »

Order a box of 10 clamps - get 9
Get charged for 1/2" marelon thru hull with hose tail pipe & it's not in the box
Send them an e-mail explaining what happened and letting them know they have a problem
week later get another box from Hamilton
They send me the 10th clamp but charge me for it
They send me a sink drain with strainer marked with the 1/2" thru hulls part number and charge me for it again!
Anyone can have a bad day & make a mistake but looks to me their running at least 3 deep.
jim
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Anyone else having problems with Hamilton Marine?

Post by Case »

Complain strenuously but politely to Hamilton Marine. Shut down the erroneous orders with your credit card.

That doesn't sound like them to be honest. I bought lots of stuff from them, no problems at all. But I do have to admit that I haven't used Hamilton Marine for 2 years so maybe things have declined. I buy from Defender most of the times of late.

- Case
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I sent them a fairly strenuous e-mail. Operations manager e-mailed back a bit ago and fixed everything. I normally use Jamestown and Defender but this time Hamilton had a far better price on the thru hulls and seacocks I wanted. I'll try em again in about a year.
jim
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I like Hamilton but they are not really 'on their game' like Jamestown or Defender and the like. They kind of stumble along in a likeable sort of way. I have only had a couple of issues with my orders but they were always ready to correct the problem. On the other hand Jamestown and Defender have always delivered flawlessly.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

It is not really fair to compare Hamilton to Defender and Jamestown since Defender and Jamestown are mail order oriented facilities and Hamilton appears to be primarily a bricks and mortar store with a catalog. That is not an excuse for bad business practices but I give Hamilton a little more slack than the other two particularly when since they maintain about 4 stores and keep prices reasonable relative to the strictly mail order houses.

This said, I have never had an issue with Hamilton mail order for the few times I used it. Instead, I usually have a list in my pocket for the stop in the Portland shop after the Maine Boatbuilder's show.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.