Release fabrics what do you use?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Commander-147
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Destiny
Boat Type: Pearson Commander

Release fabrics what do you use?

Post by Commander-147 »

Some people tell me they use mylar for applications where you do not want epoxy or polyester resin to bond such as a backer plate for a hull repair or fabricating frp panels. Others have told me they use visqueen. What is the best thing to use and where do I buy it and how much does it cost?
Jerry Carpenter
Commander # 147 "Destiny"
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: Release fabrics what do you use?

Post by Oscar »

I use kitchen cellophane wrap...... or packing cellophane wrap (a little heavier).
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by cmartin »

Plastic drop cloth works pretty well too.
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

I use two things depending on the job:

1) PVA. Brush on two or three coats and let dry, and you magically have a plastic film covering the part/plate/whatever. Dried PVA films are just like green Saran-Wrap except that they dissolve in water!

2) 100% polyester taffeta from the craft or fabric store. Swoop into the fabric store with macho swagger. They'll have tightly woven polyester (taffeta). Out here in California it's usually $6 a yard in the 54" width. Pink seems to work best. The polyester taffeta is very similar to Peel-Ply, a commercial product intended for the same use (see http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... eelply.php ). Dacron is polyester.