Optimus 155W Paraffin (Kerosene) Stove

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Optimus 155W Paraffin (Kerosene) Stove

Post by Duncan »

I was googling around researching my Optimus #45 ( in the SeaSwing holder), and I stumbled across this, in case anyone is interested:

They're available in Germany for 189 Euros (~$300). (There's also a single burner model in a stainless steel finish for 119 Euros).

There used to be a gimbal kit and potholders available for these, but I didn't find anything about current availability. Here are the specs from an old brochure, showing the part numbers, though:

Anyway, between the sky-high price of Taylor's cookers, and the beat-up stuff you see on eBay, I thought this would be beautiful-looking, and a nice value in a classic kerosene stove.

(I had fun puzzling through the German website, but I saw a post which says the owner is friendly and speaks very good English)

ps. found the potholders here
Cape Dory 10 & 27
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Re: Optimus 155W Paraffin (Kerosene) Stove

Post by tpl »

we carry 2 of these onboard, alternating use. Sixty thousand miles, including a circumnavigation,
very satisfactory. Kerosene is obtainable usually at small regional airports such as fly rescue
helicopters: 40 litres lasts us more than a year--better and cheaper than any other source.

for burner tuning, a single burner optimus #45 or similar, is also helpful. Our first kero
cooker was just that, in a Seaswing bracket. Very cheap in South Island, New Zealand, the miners
used them.

ps: thanks for tip about potholders. The stove is stainless; the potholder rails--the ones I have--
are not: and the little thumbscrews are easy to lose.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: Optimus 155W Paraffin (Kerosene) Stove

Post by Duncan »

...and found the gimbals (along with loads of other parts) here.

Base-Camp home page
Cape Dory 10 & 27