Spinnaker pole fittings- Alden Challenger

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JSmith
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Spinnaker pole fittings- Alden Challenger

Post by JSmith »

I'm about to start building a wood pole by laminating up some clear spruce but as my better half pointed out may be I should find some end fitting before all the work is started. The specs from Alden call for a Merriman size 3-A, fig 450-L. I don't have exact measurements yet but I think the socket that slides over the end of the pole is around 2-3". I'd love to find some bronze ones but can only find smaller ones. I've been calling consignment stores as well (Wickford, RI) but think there must be some kicking around a spar shed some where. Any thoughts, ideas?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Spinnaker pole fittings- Alden Challenger

Post by Hirilondë »

JSmith wrote:I'm about to start building a wood pole by laminating up some clear spruce but as my better half pointed out may be I should find some end fitting before all the work is started.
I would listen her.

Are you asking for sources? Or for specs?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
JSmith

Post by JSmith »

I have dimensions but the end fittings are stumping me.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Re: Spinnaker pole fittings- Alden Challenger

Post by Bluenose »

Hirilondë wrote:
JSmith wrote:I'm about to start building a wood pole by laminating up some clear spruce but as my better half pointed out may be I should find some end fitting before all the work is started.
I would listen her.

Are you asking for sources? Or for specs?
I would second this advice. I have been looking on and off for for quite a while and they seem quite rare. Maybe in the North East you will have better luck. The only suggestion I could add is to place some adds looking for a wooden spinnaker pole. It might be the best way to find old bronze end fitting.

Good Luck

And if you happen to find a pair of fitting a bit too small, say 1/2-2 inches, I will gladly take them off your hands:).
JSmith

Post by JSmith »

Classicmarine.co.uk has a lot of bronze hardware- they have pole ends but not quite big enough for what I need. Toplicht.de also has some.