3M or Boatlife?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

3M or Boatlife?

Post by Shoalcove »

I'm gathering supplies for the spring worklist and on my to-do list is rebedding the teak toerails on Patiently. I am considering using polysulphide - either 3M 101 or Lifecalk Sealant. Any preferences? I've used the 3M but have no experience with Lifecalk. I was originally planning to use Sika 291LOT but now am thinking that the others may hold up to the elements better. Am I on the right track? It's still freezing out and there is 2' of concrete-like snow on the lawn; buying boatstuff is my link to sanity!
Thanks,
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: 3M or Boatlife?

Post by Hirilondë »

Shoalcove wrote: I was originally planning to use Sika 291LOT but now am thinking that the others may hold up to the elements better.
I can't think of a single reason why you would think that. But all 3 are good products. You have to decide which characteristics are most important to you. http://plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3361
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Hi Dave,
The reason I wondered about the 291LOT is that it is a polyurethane and I had read that the polysulphides had better resistance to teak cleaners and fuel spills. Also, I do not want to use a permanent adhesive since I will be the guy that would have to take them off to repair if they got damaged. So, I'm looking for very long lasting but not irreversable... I'm open to comments/input. Thanks.
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

One advantage of Life-Calk versus 3M 101 is that you can get it in teak brown or mahogany brown, which colors work well when bedding wood.

All the products you mention will do the job you're looking for.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

OK, if you don't think you need the tensile strength (adhesive holding power) of Sikaflex, even prefer not to have it, then choosing a polysulfide is the right choice for you. I just don't like people ruling out a product for the wrong reason. I made and installed new toerails on my Renegade 3 years ago. The bend required considerable force. For this reason I chose Sikaflex 291-LOT to help the fasteners keep them in place. I wanted the adhesive properties of the product. Removing them some day is going to make a mess anyway, and having them stay put till that some day seemed a greater priority. I guess the morale of this story is:

"Choose the product that best meets the requirements of your job"
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Maine Sail

As others

Post by Maine Sail »

As the other have said all three will work. My personal preference for polysulfides is 3M 101 but it does not come in colors as Tim pointed out. Sika 291 is a lower adhesion PU but still nearly double that of 101.
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

LifeCalk will turn brown/yellow after only a couple months. It may be a decent sealant, but I don't like it for that reason.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Has anyone found a white polysulfide that doesn't turn brown? 3M 101 also turns brown quickly. I have never liked this feature of white polysulfide, but it seems to be universal.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Well, I switched to 3M 101 after using the LifeCalk because of the discoloration issue. It's true that the 101 discolors a little bit. However, in my limited experience, the LifeCalk discolors far quicker and to a greater extent. I guess your mileage will vary.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks for all the input. I really have come to appreciate the wealth of knowlege here. Does the 291LOT yellow as quickly as the polysulfides?
I want this to last a loooong time so I accept that eventually they will be yellowed. It is not a big issue if it continues to do it's job.
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Shoalcove wrote: Does the 291LOT yellow as quickly as the polysulfides?
3 years and no sign of yellowing. In theory it never will.
Dave Finnegan
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

3 years and no sign of yellowing. In theory it never will.[/quote]

That's interesting. Perhaps I should reconsider. Thanks again.
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N