Pintles / Gugeons

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
osprey171
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Pintles / Gugeons

Post by osprey171 »

Hello all -
We are in search of a set of bronze pintles and gugeons for our alberg 30. We have found a set that would work from port townsend foundry but are having some "difficulties" with them. Does anyone know of any other source? They are both the "fork" type 1/2" pin, 1-1/2" between straps and length of straps about 4-1/2" inches. Any input would be great..

As you can see from the pic, this is after i hacked it off, but on the aft end of the keel was the gugeon, and on the rudder is the pintle. Pin facing up (dont ask me why). Rudder is held in place by a bronze rudder shoe.

Thanks,
Trevor[/img]
Trevor
S/V Osprey
A-30 #171
David

Post by David »

What was the matter with the exitsing hardware?
Last edited by David on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Try Bristol Bronze

www.bristolbronze.com/

Caution: he doesn't give it away.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Trevor,

Someone was asking about rudder hardware on the A-30 list recently, and one of the fellows on there (Gordon?) mentioned that he might have some. (Maybe that was you and the lead didn't pan out.)

Just curious what hull number you have, as mine (#221) didn't have that style hardware. (Actually, the straps on the hull look similar, but the part on the rudder is different - but similar to other A-30s I have seen.)

Rachel
osprey171
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by osprey171 »

Rachel,

Yes, we spoke with Gordon. The ones he has have a 2-1/2" gap between straps so they won't really work, or would require some serious building up of the rudder and keel.

We own #171 built in 66'. We actually found a source for the hardware, mystic river foundry. I am just going to make a male part and have them cast.

Thanks all,
Trevor
Trevor
S/V Osprey
A-30 #171