Using oven cleaner to remove bottom paint

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Using oven cleaner to remove bottom paint

Post by JonnyBoats »

Today I was speaking with a fellow at the boatyard who told me that oven cleaner (Easy Off) can sometimes be used to remove bottom paint. He suggested I try it on the Trinidad that is currently on my hull.

Has anyone else heard of this or tried it?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I discovered the use of oven cleaner on the Yahoo South Bend Lathe Forum. When rebuilding my lathe it removed all the gime, and the paint, and cleaned up with water, leaving nice clean castings ready for paint.
It is also great for cleaning glass fireplace doors, and who knows what else! I used the Easy-Off heav duty stuff.

Part of a posting:
"What I have used for the last 20 years is Mr. Muscle oven cleaner. I get it at the local janitorial supply house now as it was taken out of stores some years ago. This stuff you just spray it on let it sit over night and then rinse it off. You will find that you usually dont need a second coat. I do wear gloves but it will not hurt the gloves. I use the normal surgical or nitrate gloves. (Dennis Turk) ".

As you have to use copious amounts of water to flush it off, you may have a problem with the runoff ... just a thought.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Anything that dissolves or chemically attacks that which you are trying to remove may do the same to that which you wish to keep that is near by
Peter wrote: As you have to use copious amounts of water to flush it off, you may have a problem with the runoff ...
Yeah, definitely something to pay attention to.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Another suggestion

Post by Al »

I've used East Off with only limited success; it depends on the kind of paint you're trying to strip and can also stain your gelcoat yellow (though this can be removed). I now use Interlux Interstrip 299E.
Al Lorman