Bronze Pin for Turnbbuckle?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

I need a source to replace one of the bronze pins that joined the turnbuckles to the chainplate. Apparently one of the guys deriggging the boat was NOT careful with the pins. I found three that were on the deck or in the cockpit, but one is among the missing. No hurry, since launch is three months away (sigh) but I am looking anxiously at the boat and thinking "any minute now I will take the cover off."

I thought I could find such a source in previous posts but apparently my search skills are insufficient. I did read a lot of great posts though!
THANKS!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I think what you're describing is a clevis pin. C. Sherman Johnson out of Hartford, Connecticut, has those in bronze. Good outfit to work with too - an old family company. Your stuff will come carefully bagged and labeled, and wrapped in the Hartford Courant :D

I spoke with them a boat show a couple of years ago when (if I remember correctly) they were just (re)coming out with the bronze clevis pins. Now I see they have the cotter pins to go with them in silicon bronze. I thanked them profusely at the time, but if you order some I encourage you to also let them know this (if you feel like it). It's great to have some good, domestic bronze options out there (again).

Here is a link to the catalog page with the bronze clevis pins:

http://www.csjohnson.com/marinecatalog/00036.htm

And an image of the page:

Main company page:

http://www.csjohnson.com

Rachel
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

GREAT! Thanks Rachel--you are amazing! AND I can get bronze cotter pins as well. I USED to know that was a clevis pin, but now much of my memory has gone 'generic.'

Sounds like an awesome company! My Soverel is furnished with a LOT of bronze parts and they all look terrific.

Rachel wrote:I think what you're describing is a clevis pin. C. Sherman Johnson out of Hartford, Connecticut, has those in bronze. Good outfit to work with too - an old family company. Your stuff will come carefully bagged and labeled, and wrapped in the Hartford Courant :D

I spoke with them a boat show a couple of years ago when (if I remember correctly) they were just (re)coming out with the bronze clevis pins. Now I see they have the cotter pins to go with them in silicon bronze. I thanked them profusely at the time, but if you order some I encourage you to also let them know this (if you feel like it). It's great to have some good, domestic bronze options out there (again).

Rachel
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT