Base for Solar Fan

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Base for Solar Fan

Post by Marshall Wright »

Some advice from others who have ventured before?

I've installed an Airhead composting toilet and, to make it functional, must also install a solar-powered vent to pass the gasses from the composter.

The only location that will accommodate the fan is on the sloping side of the cabin roof. I'd like to level the area with a teak or other tapered pad so the vent is level to the sun rather than sloped.

I've found numerous teak bases for winches but they are too small for a typical solarvent which is 8-inches.

I know many of you would make up some thickened epoxy and make your own base but my skills are not up to that. Also, the area I must mount the fan is in non-skid and when I'm finished I'd prefer not to have to paint the cabin top.

I'd like to start with something approximating what I need, a tapered something or else, as my tools and skills are limited and I'd rather not buy a large blank and try to fabricate from scratch. I think a dorate housing would be to large, as my boat is only 25 feet.

Any leads on larger, round tapered wood blanks or sandable fiberglass/composite material?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Marshall
David

Post by David »

For what it is worth, I think you are overly concerned about the photo voltaics angle to the sunlight. Frankly the sun will always be at some angle to your cabintop other than perpenducular so why worry about it. The battery needs only a small charge to run without sunlight, and most solar vents are capable of running 48 hours without any charge at all.

Now if the top of the cabin is curved, that might require a flat base to install the solar vent. I believe Nicro advises if the curve of the surface is more than 1/2" per foot to level the base. I would use epoxy for that.
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Base for Solar Fan

Post by Marshall Wright »

David,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the cabin top is very sloped, actually very near the the cabintop edge before radiusing down vertical to the deck.

If I did attempt to make up my own base, can I mix some white gell-coat-like coloring to the mix so I wouldn't have to paint the deck. I know I'd never match my existing cabintop but I'd settle for close.

I looked at your website and I'd probably copy what you did for your winch base?

You created a great website, by the way. Really find all the detail helps answer the additional questions and helps take the mystery out of each process.

Marshall
David

Post by David »

Marshall,

Glad that you find the site helpful.

If I were going to make a flat base (btw I am in the process of installing two Nicro solar vents on the Bristol, one over the head) I would remove the down tube vent that goes thru the cabintop, and then cover the flat vent base with plastic wrap. Wet out the area for the epoxy base and then do what I did for the winch bases. The base really won't show except for the raised, filletted edges a bit, and I would paint the base something close to the surrounding paint or gelcoat on your cabin. You can color epoxy easily, but coloring it does not provide any UV protection, which you would really need.
David

Post by David »

Here are links to pages that describe how I am installing the two solar vents:

http://bristol29.com/Projects/Deck%20Pr ... Solar_Vent

http://bristol29.com/Projects/Exterior% ... n_the_Head