Bronze ports

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Bronze ports

Post by barrybrown »

In my search for port gasket material I spoke with a company in Rhode Island that claims to be making new bronze opening as well as fixed ports for many of the old Pearson models including the Triton. They also make many of the cast bronze fittings and custom fittings for boats.

Bristol Bronze- web is bristolbronze.com tel 401-625-5224

Barry
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I'm not sure Roger has the molds for the exact ports.... maybe. Still, based on my experience with other bronze pieces he has cast for me, he can be tricky to work with. I'm still waiting for him to return an original piece I sent him to make a mold from.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I have heard a lot of...well, "mixed" opinions about Bristol Bronze.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David

Post by David »

I have also heard some less than positive things about Bristol Bronze. An owner of another bronze foundry that has been written about on this forum called Bristol Bronze the Walmart of foundries.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Yeah, well. We got a gooseneck from Bristol Bronze and while it was a bit rough, it was very functional and is still in use 3 years later.

On the other hand, I tried and tried to get something from Port Townsend Foundry and even after several phone calls and repeated emails with pictures, I could not get a response- they just flat didn't seem to want the business. Couldn't get prices, availability, nada. And yeah, I talked to the owner himself. Pete is his name I believe.

So what are ya gonna do? At least Bristol responded, and shipped.
David

Post by David »

I spend a bit of time in Port Townsend. I'm not surprised by your comments. It's a laid back community to say the least. The foundry does most of their work for Cape Georges Yachts and for the wooden boat industry there.
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

AGREED! PT Foundry is EXTREMELY difficult to work with as mentioned above. I met Pete personally a few months ago on a "fact finding mission" but when I went to order parts from him, he seemed to disappear. He is not hurting for work either, which may be one of the reasons. Fortunately, owning a BCC I just call up Todd of Cape George and have them get the part from PT Foundry for me. We all need to chip in and start our own foundry! What a dream hu?
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84